Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 16:09   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

I need to upgrade the lights of my bullet Electra which is currently using a 35W bulb.

Do i need to change the coil ?

If yes then which coil(part number/manufacturer) please.

Thanks
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 16:11   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I need to upgrade the lights of my bullet Electra which is currently using a 35W bulb.

Do i need to change the coil ?

If yes then which coil(part number/manufacturer) please.

Thanks
a coil up grade is a must because your present coil supports only a 35W output for lighting. i'm not sure if you have an option of plug and play for a bullet. you might need to get your existing coil rewired.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 17:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

I don't know about Electra Electricals much i only know that the coil system is different.On new STD Bullets, with headlight being powered off the alternator, it's possible to replace the 35W bulb with a 55/60W bulb without any upgrade to the coils.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 17:27   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't know about Electra Electricals much i only know that the coil system is different.On new STD Bullets, with headlight being powered off the alternator, it's possible to replace the 35W bulb with a 55/60W bulb without any upgrade to the coils.
Ok if thats the case here,i would be changing the bulb only.

Lets wait for some more posts and i would speak with a mechanic i know of.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 20:27   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

go ahead and try it. a high wattage bulb will work even if its supplied less current. it's just that it won't be giving the same energy output. it won't blow up anything lol.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 21:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
go ahead and try it. a high wattage bulb will work even if its supplied less current. it's just that it won't be giving the same energy output. it won't blow up anything lol.
In the case of Bullet it's being supplied with enough current to light up a 55/60 headlamp bulb properly if it has the original 4wire alternator with original rotor magnet.

I know how a 55/60 bulb works when supplied with low current works. I wouldn't advise it if i didn't know how something works. But what i told holds true for Bullets not Electras.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 09:51   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up

I still would advise to go in for 100/90 instead of paying mamas. HID's are totally useless in wet weather conditions. Whatever it costs 1200 or 1500 it still is the best option IMO.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 11:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

GD ji,

Could you cite some examples? HIDs work just fine provided its well installed. I know enough junta who've done multiple tens of thousands of kms on their bikes with HIDs.

And the 100/90 besides modding basic electricals, neither compares in lighting output, nor reliability. Ofc, for city use, Silverstars do just fine.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:41   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

BTW are there any *normal* coloured kind of 60W bulbs which i can fit into the pulsar? i don't want any funny colours which the cops will catch me for!
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:30   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

guys i know its a pulsar thread but i really wanna get a higher wattage bulb or a HID system for my apache RTR. Can anyone in bangalore help me out? thanx!
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:38   #26
BHPian
 
arpandiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 428
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
BTW are there any *normal* coloured kind of 60W bulbs which i can fit into the pulsar? i don't want any funny colours which the cops will catch me for!
Design
Halonix
Phillips
Osram
all companies have "Normal" 60/55W bulbs available !
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:59   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

thanks for that list arpan!
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 12:53   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up

Dear PHAMILYMAN Sirji,
I've been using 100/90 lighting on my Pulsar for almost 2 years now & I've not faced any reliability issues as of now. With regards to HID'S I've seen people changing from 8000k to 6000k & then looking for 4000k too, b'coz they 're not good in wet conditions, I've experienced this myself. So I'm in favour of 100/90 lighting.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 15:09   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 28
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi all,

Thanx all for your valuable comments.
I would like to go in for 100/90 headlight bulb. What mods are required?
What would be the approx cost?
Where in Pune can I get philips extreme power 55/60w at reasonable price?
I enquired at one dealer behind BP Petrol pump on FC rd & he said its Rs. 900 for a pair.
ankushmulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 16:14   #30
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
Dear PHAMILYMAN Sirji,
I've been using 100/90 lighting on my Pulsar for almost 2 years now & I've not faced any reliability issues as of now. With regards to HID'S I've seen people changing from 8000k to 6000k & then looking for 4000k too, b'coz they 're not good in wet conditions, I've experienced this myself. So I'm in favour of 100/90 lighting.

CHEERS,
G D
I'm curious, how does wet conditions affect the visibility of HID's? I've never used one in the rain, so can't really visualize how would it affect.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi Series 2- Test Drive islero Motorbikes 17 22nd July 2016 10:02
Pulsar 150 DTSi 45k report cutdcrap Motorbikes 2 3rd January 2014 12:39
Apache 160 FI or Bajaj pulsar 150 DTSi ashwanth Motorbikes 42 20th November 2012 20:26
Pulsar 220 DTSi with R15 headlight sam_sant2005 Motorbikes 13 15th October 2010 21:49
Pulsar 150 DTSi or Unicorn?????? 1000bhp Motorbikes 5 28th February 2005 21:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks