Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd August 2008, 22:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

From this link - Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam)

I am getting a different picture. Ladies should not be allowed to sit across (legs to one side) - they have to sit astride. That is the suggestion of the court.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:37   #17
BANNED

Guys! Let's be very frank to understand that Sarees are the most dangerous clothing to wear while riding pillion.
Atleast, I think so.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

You're absolutely correct speedzak!

But there's only very little govt can do about it. Person responsible for the safety of himself as far as loose clothing is concerned is the person him/her self.

But as far as the rule is concerned it is stupid as banning the use of LPG cylinders in homes because it could cause explosion if not used carefully or if used improperly.

And what do they have to say about ladies (& few old people) traveling on the two wheeler sitting sideways?? Two wheeler without a side car is designed for tandem seating. Impose fine on everyone who sits sideways... yeah right! Even ladies wearing churidar sit sideways, so banning sari on two wheeler would not prevent sitting sideways.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 10:57   #19
BHPian

Zak, sarees are dangerous, I agree. But with proper care and wrapping the long end around the waist, it is no more dangerous than the Salwar Kameez. Sure, they might slide out of the seat on a fast bend, but then I am of the opinion that if you have a member of the fairer sex behind you, you should go as slowly as possible and use your front brakes more

ps: I've warned more ladies in Salwar's that their dupatta is dangerously near the wheels, than I have ladies in sarees. I know that doesn't prove anything, but still.

Sankar, what is the problem with a covered wheel, assuming the material used is lightweight? Is it the looks or handling that goues for a toss, or both?
I also think that the helmet rule should be extended to the person sitting behind also. And there should only be two on a bike. Practically impossible, I know. Maybe the 1 lakh car will convert such people over to a safer mode of transport.

One last rant: Why do we still have such pathetic roads!!!
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

We also need to consider in urban population, how many of the middle aged women wear sarees. They wear sarees while going to religious functions or weddings. I feel wearing duppatta is more dangerous than wearing saree as the dupatta will entangle with the tyres anytime. This move is only for Kerala (I presume) if it comes int effect. It will never work in other parts of South India.

Last edited by snaronikar : 24th August 2008 at 11:36.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
And what do they have to say about ladies (& few old people) traveling on the two wheeler sitting sideways?? Two wheeler without a side car is designed for tandem seating. Impose fine on everyone who sits sideways... yeah right! Even ladies wearing churidar sit sideways, so banning sari on two wheeler would not prevent sitting sideways.
Read the whole article - the high court suggestion says the primary reason for considering a ban on sarees is the need to stop this practice of sitting sideways. The issue of flowing dresses getting caught up in the wheels is secondary.

All in all I thought it was a well thought out set of directives/suggestions by someone who has obviously spent some time studying the topic.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 14:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It the primary aim for the ban is to prevent sitting sideways then they should ban sitting sideways and don't beat around the bush and confuse people! The rest, including dress code, would fall into place on it's own!

Women sit sideways even when if wear churidar or jeans if that's how they're used to sitting on a two wheeler. And i have seen many times women wearing Saris sit on two wheelers with legs across in Bangalore!

Srijit, there's nothing wrong technically with a piece that would cover top half of the wheels, except the fact that it would look ugly on most bikes
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:34   #23
BHPian

Well, doesn't it look like a strong case for Tata Nano
I wonder if the idea of "not wearing saree" or "sitting across" will go down well with the traditional/cultural bound women.

Modifications on the machine to prevent such mishaps, however ugly sound more practical.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why is the suggestion impractical? Is it more practical to get people killed on a daily basis?
It is impractical & a frivolous statement.
Not every sari getting stuck results in people getting hurt far from people dying. Cant make rules based on if's and but's. There are sari guards available.
Hasn't anyone got their pants stuck gear shift lever on a bike, while putting their left leg down on the ground?

Sounds like one argument where this chap wanted bikes banned. And that because he thought they are very unsafe and falling from one would result in death, all non bike guys followed suit and supported the great idea.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 23:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

I cant seem to agree to this. my mom who is 50+ wears only sarees. and some times i drop her at her office in my pulsar. am i suppposed to take the car out everytime now? what about the people who dont own a car, what do they do?

Last edited by govigov : 24th August 2008 at 23:18.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 00:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Some time back, we had a rule on helmets? 90% of the people happily violate that rule!

I dont think this rule will ever come in place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Guys! Let's be very frank to understand that Sarees are the most dangerous clothing to wear while riding pillion.
Atleast, I think so.
The biggest problem bikers have are the roads in kerala!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 00:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

Why all this hullabo.
A saree clad women is not like a drunk driver who will kill others. Its their own life, and let them decide how safe they want to be.
People do lot of extreme dangerous sports too which can get them killed.
All these rules about helmets and seatbelts serve no purpose. If somebody wants to commit suicide let them.
Of course if its drunk drivers etc., who can kill others enforce the rules. By allowing people to kill themselves, the police can focus on the real dangerous drivers.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 01:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why all this hullabo.
Of course if its drunk drivers etc., who can kill others enforce the rules. By allowing people to kill themselves, the police can focus on the real dangerous drivers.
Thats the bottom line!
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 09:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Z I am of the opinion that if you have a member of the fairer sex behind you, you should go as slowly as possible and use your front brakes more
Srijit ..u naughty boy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I cant seem to agree to this. my mom who is 50+ wears only sarees. and some times i drop her at her office in my pulsar. am i suppposed to take the car out everytime now? what about the people who dont own a car, what do they do?
Exactly !! these kind of rules are easy to make but hard to impose...As long as we have the left in kerala these kind of rules will never be imposed as wearing pants are considered booshooo ...
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 18:22   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its a silly rule. You can't force a middle aged Indian woman to wear pants etc. All that needs to be done is to mandate more functional saree guards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
It is impractical & a frivolous statement.
Not every sari getting stuck results in people getting hurt far from people dying. Cant make rules based on if's and but's. There are sari guards available.
Hasn't anyone got their pants stuck gear shift lever on a bike, while putting their left leg down on the ground?

Frankly I cant understand why sarees alone should bear the brunt of dangerous pillion-riding here!
Now I may be digressing (oops!) but IMHO lately among the present day society, Sarees have apparently become the target of anything that's dangerous/risky (even life-threatening!), impractical, unadvisable etc.!

And yeah, firstly the saree guards on bikes (which more or less all modern bikes have) are more than sufficient to prevent such a danger from occuring. Besides, its more the free end (pallu) of the Saree that could be considered risky, which most women anyway drape around their waist when riding a 2-wheeler so that's solved!
And of course, the dupattas on salwars, which are even longer and cant even tucked into the waist unlike sarees, could also pose a threat- why some women who go out wearing maxis/nighties also wear a towel like a dupatta across the chest, so we might as well bring these under the same umbrella!
And reg. the problem of getting the pant leg-end getting stuck on the bike's gear shift lever, tell me about it! Ive faced that so many times when Ive had a bike, especially since I wear boot-cut pants that are wider at the bottom!
Also leave alone forcing middle-aged women to wear pants etc., many of them may have physical health problems that'd prevent them from sitting the "normal" way hence preferring to be more comfortable side-saddle.

Quote:
The young and trendywho don't want these saree guards should not carry saree clad women.
Not all young and "trendy" would dislike carrying saree-clad women pillion, there are exceptions- like yours truly! Hehe...although in my case, "women" would be limited only to my mother and/or my wife!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th August 2008 at 18:24.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote