Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd August 2008, 15:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Kerala High Court moots Banning Sarees on Two Wheelers

I think its a good move. Too many people have died when the pillion's saree gets stuck into the wheels of a moving two-wheeler.

There would be a lot of hue and cry about the common man being able to travel, etc, but the common woman can still travel with appropriate attire.

There's also a suggestion to ban any third person on two wheelers other than a 'small child'. I dont know if this needs a ban - arent two-wheelers classified as two-seaters on their RC anyway? Anything more is already breaking the law.

Read on:

Court moots ban - Newindpress.com

OT but interestingly the same newspaper talks about a proposal to ban hartals in the Cochin Corporation area - Mercy chechi seems to want to do something constructive after taking the city downhill through her tenure. Now, if only THAT would happen - if only wishes were horses:

Hartal-free Kochi Corpn proposed - Newindpress.com
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't this look very impractical? What are they gonna wear, Nighties
They might as well outlaw mundus and lungis - do you see that happening?
I dont think this will survive

EDIT: My 1000th post

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd August 2008 at 15:32.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

It impractical and unimplementable especially in south. IMO, saree is every common women's dress code in most parts of the urban India (school teachers and lecturers) and in rural India.

@ Greenhorn: Congrats on becoming Senior BHPian.

Last edited by snaronikar : 23rd August 2008 at 15:56.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:05   #4
BHPian

It's a good thing if it happens and is implemented.But they have not been able to implement the helmet rule properly so I don't see this happening.

This could lead to an agitation like in Chandigarh against women wearing helmets.

But I think this is an insult to Indian Culture and a conspiracy by the outside powers to take away the last bastion of our culture - our native dress. We should not allow this to happen and fight for the remnants of our endangered culture. Let's start with a signature campaign, then street dharnas culminating in daily strikes and a month long agitation to express our support and solidarity.

Sorry for being off topic.
wolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:31   #5
BHPian

well,if you see on one side its a great thing becoz saree is really dangerous while riding a two wheeler but see the other side what else will they wear specialy becoz its south,imagine if teachers start wearing jeans and going to school/college students will start calling their teachers KILLI......
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 17:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why is the suggestion impractical? Is it more practical to get people killed on a daily basis?

I personally think this is a good idea, but good ideas never get implemented here - there will be some political party that will want to capitalize on this and they will start agitations to protect Indian culture and the right of women to remain "decently dressed".

It will never get implemented, but at least someone had an open enough mind to suggest it.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 17:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank god they're thinking of banning the saris instead of asking motorcycle owners to cover the rear wheel with sheet metal on either side!

Well, imo even if they end up implementing this rule scooter owners should be exempted.

Well.. so after this rule comes in force the sari guards can be taken off i guess, legally
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a silly rule. You can't force a middle aged Indian woman to wear pants etc. All that needs to be done is to mandate more functional saree guards.

The young and trendywho don't want these saree guards should not carry saree clad women.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:40   #9
BANNED

Wow! This is a good decision (It's not everyday we get one).
Why should it not be practical? If Churidar, Salwar etc.. can be used by our women on a daily basis, then they can try and avoid Sarees when they ride pillion too.

It will be very good if it can be enforced nicely from day1.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Why can't they come up with a rule saying 2-wheelers without full saree guard (both sides) can't take saree clad women or lungi clad men. Then everybody should be happy.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

you really cant force middle aged women who havent worn anything else to suddenly wear churidars or whatever else. And even if they do summon the courage to wear it, to survive their peers( " OMG she's on the wrong side of 50 and she goes around like a small girl in a churidar") tongues.
They are also the kind of folks who may not be able to afford anything more than a two wheeler, and bikes tend to be cheaper and can take rougher roads and abuse , and are more practical. As long as you can make an effective saree guard, I dont see the problem.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:00   #12
BHPian

i'm with greenhorn on this one. an effective saree gaurd is a better/practical solution in my opinion.
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This rule will never come into force. I think everybody who read about it the first time knows that.

Maybe rule makers should impose something better like enforcing 'proper' use of 'proper' helmets for starters. Many go about without tying the strap and the ingenious amongst them get away with a construction helmet. Another thing that needs enforcing is the prevention of carrying stuff that would fit in an auto on a two wheeler! And yes they could think about strictly imposing fine on people who travel with the whole family on board two wheels!

Not only sari even churidar and the likes with loose untied dupatta/shawl pose safety hazards.

If one starts to think a lots of things come to mind. Just to improve road safety how about doing something about autowallahs who don't use the indicators or with govt and private buses and lorries with non functional signal lights.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

as greenhorn mentioned earlier this might have been more valid had they said flowing clothes rather than just considering banning saris alone
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This rule will never come into force. I think everybody who read about it the first time knows that.
Yes absolutely right and that's because the constable and the hawaldar knows that his wife or mother will not switch to chudidar overnight. Saree clad women will continue to fall off bikes and succumb to their injuries. All thanks to the stupid judge.

Oh well....just another day

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd August 2008 at 21:26.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote