Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th August 2008, 16:56   #16

Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch View Post
For checking mileage mehod was - Immediately after reserve fill the petrol and then check the mileage again at reserve.
I have done more than 4-5 trials both with normal & xtra premium By filling Rs. 200 petrol in each case.
Invariably reading was 200 & 180 kms approx for Xtra premium & normal respectively
IMO a full tank to reserve trial would be better as it would factor in the variation in riding style/conditions/etc!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 17:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch View Post
I have Pulsar 150 DTSI bike, around 3 years old....With Xtra premium petrol its giving me a mileage of around 55...whereas Im getting a mileage of only 46-47 with normal petrol..
Can anybody explain this discrepancy

How many liters of Xtra permium did you use?
Did you fill full tank or try doing it by shifting from Full to reserve and then measure?

Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Have tried different premium petrols on my OHC vtec. I did see difference in performance but no difference in FE. hence i have shifted back to regular fuel because it costs me less to drive down to office.
There would have been a minor increase in mileage, however if you were seeing difference in performance you might have held on a wee bit longer to the pedal, thereby nullifying the xtra mileage which you would have received.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 17:34   #18

I usually fill up the tank 1st week of every month.

I've tried Speed and normal petrol in my Bro's WagonR and my Zen there was not noticeable improvement is fuel efficiency. But yes it felt smoother.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 17:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

@yzfrj: This thread is for bikes, we have other threads for using premium fuel in Car
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 11:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was filling Xtra Premium in my Pulsar 150 for some time. I had some starting problems. Got the carb cleaned & float re-aligned.

The Bajaj guys recommended me not to fill Xtra Premium or else the problem will pop up again. They told premium petrols are having more density, so they are harmful for the carbs. Sticked to their advice for the last 6000 KMS. No problems so far.

But the FE was better(4 KMS more) on Xtra Premium than normal.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 14:23   #21

I have a 2003 Thunderbird.

Over time, I have experimented with different kinds of fuels from reputed petrol pumps in hyderabad and elsewhere. The running costs are almost the same whichever fuel i use ( As i get slightly better mileage from teh premium fuels)

The bike feels smoother with the premium fuels. So, I tend to fill my tank with IOC Xtra Premium.

I have also tried the Shell premium a few times. It does not financially work out for me but the bike does feel really really smooth and peppy.
kcstheg is offline   Reply With Quote