Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th August 2009, 00:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

The bike still misfires on half-throttle and its quite irritating. Anyways, will try to change the jet or the air/fuel mixture tomorrow. I've also noticed that my battery doesn't charge well, because even if I give it a full-charge its quick to discharge.

What is the stock jet inside the BS26 carb?!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 17:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

What is the significance of the zener diode?! If failed, is there any concern?!
Old 9th August 2009, 17:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Zener diode acts like a fuse;but much more precise with cut-off voltage/current.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 18:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Zener diode acts like a fuse;but much more precise with cut-off voltage/current.
Yes, but is it any concern if it fails?!
Old 9th August 2009, 20:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
It leaks oil when it's not been ridden for about two weeks or more...
If ridden daily it doesn't drop oil at all...
The oil drops in a little pool under the bike, just ahead of the centre stand and a bit to the left (battery side). Could the clutch case gasket be at fault?
when cold it falls to the minimum level, but once the engine is warm it climbs beyond the midway mark! Most odd. Any leads, Bullet gurus?
Do you also get smoke at cold start? Check for wet sumping and leaking drain bolt under the crankcase. Run your palm under the primary case cover. If leaking, it will feel wet. OEM clutch oil will be lighter (10w30) than engine oil (20w50), can help to identify the type of oil leak unless you are filling same grade oil in clutch too?

When warm, oil expands (less dense), which explains the higher dipstick mark + (if) wet sumping, some oil is getting lost via sump drain.

Its a good practice to park bullets on center stand and piston at TDC position.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 05:31   #51
BHPian

Thanks for those pointers, BJ. The clutch gets the same oil as the engine, so I can't tell by the consistency. While I did have a problem with "smoky starts" earlier, that disappeared after I installed a new standard OE piston and cylinder head a year ago. It *could* be wet-sumping as you said. But I always take care to park the bike in TDC and on the centre stand. Anyway, I'll do a more thorough check when I'm in my hometown next (end-August) and post my observations here.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 22:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
The clutch gets the same oil as the engine, so I can't tell by the consistency.
Which year bullet you have?

REI recommends 10w30 for clutch on newer bullets. But sourcing 10w30 oil is a pain, hence, most mechanics just use heavier engine oil (20w50 0r 10w40) in the clutch too. This makes clutch heavy to operate, specially when cold.

You can source 10w30 as Hero Honda Genuine oil for Super Splendor from all HH dealers. Retails for about 120/- for 900ml. Try it once- clutch feels damn light. Added benefit, you can visually differentiate the oil leak source.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 18:03   #53

Default Misfiring resolved

Gordon,

My misfiring issue is resolved! The culprit was a leaky intake valve and the timing was out by 1 degree. I had the same issue as yours where the bike was misfiring beyond half throttle.
Now it runs smoothly till max throttle!

- Shobhit
imshobhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the cause?! What needs to be replaced?! Costs etc.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:23   #55

You will need to replace your valve, valve guides and the valve seats, use a competent mech, preferably not the one you are using now. Also please get your timing gear checked, valves replacement will cost you 1500 and timing gear will cost you another 1100 plus labour. If you are hands on with the bike, you can take care of the timing gear yourself!
imshobhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 13:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Enfield: Oil Leak!

The oil leak has become worse. I think its the gearbox countershaft oil seal. Is opening the complete gearbox the ONLY option to change the oil seal?
Old 30th April 2011, 15:34   #57
BHPian

I have not gone through the entire thread, so please excuse me if I may repeat a suggestion. But this advice is for the original subject of this thread "Oil Leak" from the primary side.

I think this could be taken care by removing the primary cover and the case completely and then go for a refacing (grinding the areas where the covers seal). But this should be done by a very very competent person.

If such person does not exist, then try sealing covers, using silicon gasket (these are available from M Seal, at Rs. 30). But this would be in addition to the O ring already present.

Cheers.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 21:17   #58
BHPian

Quote:
... I think its the gearbox countershaft oil seal...
I take it as the one behind g'box sprocket. Before picking out the seal see that sprocket nut is not loose or the distance piece is not grooved, else it leaks along sprocket side looking like a torn seal. You may have to takeoff clutch assy not the box.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 13:04   #59
BHPian

Start a thread of any modern bikes with similar problems and it really takes quite a long time to get replies. Anything related to the Bull and its gazillion problems, people are always ready at hand. LOL! No offense to the Bull owners
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If such person does not exist, then try sealing covers, using silicon gasket (these are available from M Seal, at Rs. 30). But this would be in addition to the O ring already present.
A year back I changed the roller bearings in the gearbox. For that, we had to dismantle the complete gearbox. Thats when I seen the O-ring of the gearbox was finished. Unfortunately though O-ring spares were not available and we had to make do with the older one coupled with another smaller O-ring.

So the point is that spares are not easily available and we had access to the O-ring through the gearbox side. I'd be really happy if one can be really sure that it can be accessed through the clutch side too!