Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th September 2011, 15:30   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Karizma Mods & Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Hi Akshay,
Do you know of a mechanic who can do something similar to a Karizma around Chandigarh or Ambala?
I would appreciate the help as I too have a Karizma which is gathering dust because of the rattling front fairing . I don't ride much but I would love to make my bike more fun!
Thanks.

P.S.- Sorry for barging in on the thread
Fairing work can be done,as im planning for same as well.
But i had sourced the jet from Pune 4 years ago,so i am not sure,if a jet can be sourced now.may be you look around a find a lathe guy,who can bore out the current jet for you.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:45   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Hi Raul,
Welcome onboard.. most of the things can be done by yourself.

There are 4 bolts that hold the fairing in place. remove them and the fairing is out.

Let me know if you would need any kind of tech help with the zma.. as it is gurudev(sankar) is there to guide us aall
Taking the fairing off is not the hard part. Filling the gap left by it to perfection is . Also I am not that technically inclined. And my Karizma is the one that came before the ZMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Fairing work can be done,as im planning for same as well.
But i had sourced the jet from Pune 4 years ago,so i am not sure,if a jet can be sourced now.may be you look around a find a lathe guy,who can bore out the current jet for you.
Problem is I have not been able to find a mechanic who is reliable enough or even knowledgeable enough to make me take the plunge. Hence, the query. Let me know if you know someone.
ra'ul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:47   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Taking the fairing off is not the hard part. Filling the gap left by it to perfection is . Also I am not that technically inclined. And my Karizma is the one that came before the ZMA.

Problem is I have not been able to find a mechanic who is reliable enough or even knowledgeable enough to make me take the plunge. Hence, the query. Let me know if you know someone.
KariZMA is the ZMA
new one is ZMR.
I am from ambala,working in chandigarh,and i have a reliable mech back home,who can easily do the job,let me know anytime
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 21:46   #454
Senior - BHPian

Aditya thanks for the price details, one thing I want to mention before getting all this work done by a professional I rode my bike for sometime with just the headlight assembly similar to what Sankar did by tying it with cable ties, the risk I had was anybody could easily lift it also how long it could sustain with a cable tie.The other reason for not going for DIY was finding all the right things in one place, so finally made up my mind to get it done by a better person. JC road is not a new place for me in Bangalore have lot of people whom I know well but for a two wheeler it was my first experience. I learnt driving in 2005 and started with a splendor was so scared to drive a bike at that time that I took 3 months to first drive the bike.

All things that were required for this job was easily available with this guy plus think he was fair enough in completing a neat work. I know I paid too much for the Silicone cord and FZ handle, but think I now got a good person for future.

I am very happy with the throttle response and specifically the light weight at the front makes it very easy to ride the bike. The vehicle is due for a service and will be getting it serviced this weekend. I have made a few DIY plans for the console fitment, covering the clamps on the tank and will be trying it. Also the speedometer cable wore out yesterday so could not read the speed. Will keep the things updated as and when.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 08:19   #455
Senior - BHPian

I am riding this bike and experiencing strange things each day, first evening when I brought it home the performance was very good, then took it to office next day and it performed very well till I was standing in front of the boomer in my office, I swiped in and bike shut off. It refused to start and then had to push it into parking lot. As I was already late I just left it and headed to my cubicle. During the lunch break I came down to do a test ride, bike started with one press of the switch and everything seemed to be OK. When I came back home the bike was making buck buck sound all the way and I felt the bike very hard to drive. As my speedo cable was cut I could not read the speed. Yesterday I got my bike serviced, the mechanic told me not to alter the jets and whatever was there was good enough for the K&N filter. He had tuned carburetor, I came back from there. When I started towards home after 2 hours the bike again refused to move at lower speeds and I experienced series of jerks. I then raised the throttle and moved on, after about 4 km again it refused to move causing serious jerks at lower speeds. I tried to start the vehicle this morning and it refused, after a lot of persuasion I did start the bike and I took it for a small ride, everything seem to be perfect. Any suggestions is welcome

Last edited by deehunk : 5th October 2011 at 08:20. Reason: change
Old 7th October 2011, 14:24   #456
BHPian

I got a pipe....
a big thanks to Viki.. i saw his post on T-Bhp classified for the KRP exhaust, and gave him a call. he was mighty surprised to hear about the cafe racer project & readily agreed to give the pipe..

Ps: Its in Delhi with a friend of mine, which i will pick up during the F1 Weekend

The bike is running lean as i am still running the stock 125 main jet & 35 pilot.
Picked up another 125 main jet today & would be drilling to make it slightly larger (say 135-140) and see how the bike performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I am riding this bike and experiencing strange things each day, first evening when I brought it home the performance was very good, then took it to office next day and it performed very well till I was standing in front of the boomer in my office, I swiped in and bike shut off. It refused to start and then had to push it into parking lot. As I was already late I just left it and headed to my cubicle. During the lunch break I came down to do a test ride, bike started with one press of the switch and everything seemed to be OK. When I came back home the bike was making buck buck sound all the way and I felt the bike very hard to drive. As my speedo cable was cut I could not read the speed. Yesterday I got my bike serviced, the mechanic told me not to alter the jets and whatever was there was good enough for the K&N filter. He had tuned carburetor, I came back from there. When I started towards home after 2 hours the bike again refused to move at lower speeds and I experienced series of jerks. I then raised the throttle and moved on, after about 4 km again it refused to move causing serious jerks at lower speeds. I tried to start the vehicle this morning and it refused, after a lot of persuasion I did start the bike and I took it for a small ride, everything seem to be perfect. Any suggestions is welcome
it clearly points out either to clogged carb, or bad fuel. Also do check the spark plug and see what color it is

light brown/tan/light gray - engine is performing normal.
A white colored plug is caused by engine overheating.
Reasons may be Incorrect spark plug (too hot heat range).Low octane fuel.Timing is not set properly.Cooling problems, (dirty cylinder fins, no or low water if water cooled, low or no engine oil).Carburetor air/fuel mixture is too lean (too much air).

Last edited by adityasiera : 7th October 2011 at 14:51.
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 07:14   #457
Senior - BHPian

thanks aditya, will check it. Are the jets available in automobile spare shops?.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:25   #458
BHPian

@Deehunk:- ZMA/Karizma spares are hard to come these days.
I would suggest to stock up some consumables like air filter sprockets etc. for future.
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 02:07   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
@Deehunk:- ZMA/Karizma spares are hard to come these days.
I would suggest to stock up some consumables like air filter sprockets etc. for future.
Right said, but dont waste money on Airfilters/ Sprockets.

Sprockets - P220 chain & sprocket is a direct fit( need 2 extra links on the chain)
Disc pads - Apache RTR pads are a direct fit
Clutch plates- Unicorn Clutch is a direct fit.

I am going nuts over the Jets, they arent available even with the biggest dealer in Hyderabad.. (they wont even take orders)

Which brings me to my plan, i am planning to buy a few mains & pilots for the zma & drill 'em up to make them larger.
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 06:53   #460
Senior - BHPian

Aditya thanks for the information, I am feeling spark plug is the culprit, the bike was serviced last week thereafter I can start the bike with one kick which did not happen earlier after I put K&N filter. Yesterday during lunch break I started the bike and allowed it to warm up for about 10 minutes or so and took it for a small ride everything was normal. While returning home in the night I just started the bike and took off, I could feel the jerks for sometime. I will check the spark plug today.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:25   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going nuts over the Jets, they arent available even with the biggest dealer in Hyderabad.. (they wont even take orders)

Which brings me to my plan, i am planning to buy a few mains & pilots for the zma & drill 'em up to make them larger.
Why go nuts? Get it from here.
Jets R Us mikuni, keihin, hitachi, holley, jets and carb parts
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 12:24   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Right said, but dont waste money on Airfilters/ Sprockets.

Sprockets - P220 chain & sprocket is a direct fit( need 2 extra links on the chain)
Disc pads - Apache RTR pads are a direct fit
Clutch plates- Unicorn Clutch is a direct fit.

To your suggestion, Sprockets of P220 might be a direct fit, however, sprocketing changes.
Disc pads - RTR is a good substitute, the Nissin brake pads bites better.
Clutch plates - Unicorn's, trust me Honda is a big brother of HH, where we again go mad for spares!
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:45   #463
Senior - BHPian

it clearly points out either to clogged carb, or bad fuel. Also do check the spark plug and see what color it is

light brown/tan/light gray - engine is performing normal.
A white colored plug is caused by engine overheating.
Reasons may be Incorrect spark plug (too hot heat range).Low octane fuel.Timing is not set properly.Cooling problems, (dirty cylinder fins, no or low water if water cooled, low or no engine oil).Carburetor air/fuel mixture is too lean (too much air).[/quote]

Aditya, while coming to office I stopped midway and removed the spark plug, side/center electrode was white. I also had the stock spark plug with me, fitted it and tried to run the bike, it stalled after 250m and refused to start. I guessed something not correct about air/fuel mixture (lean mixture), just fine tuned and bike started. I drove down till my bro-in law's house which was nearby. I removed the spark plug again to check and even here the side/center electrode was white. Then we put the iridium spark plug back and tried tuning the carburettor, we started from full turn clockwise, it lacked air, we then turned anticlockwise till we got probably the correct point at this point we found throttle response to be ideal. As it was getting late for me, I just came down to office with whatever we had done and did not face any problem on the way and throttle response was very smooth and no jerks. My bike' speed limit seems to be restricted to 90kmph, could not check the top speed. I will again check the spark plug later in the day. It has been a nice learning so far and will continue till i extract optimum performance (will post pictures of spark plug later).

Sankar, Thanks for the link on jets and carbs.

Last edited by deehunk : 11th October 2011 at 13:47. Reason: small change
Old 11th October 2011, 14:05   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
To your suggestion, Sprockets of P220 might be a direct fit, however, sprocketing changes.
Disc pads - RTR is a good substitute, the Nissin brake pads bites better.
Clutch plates - Unicorn's, trust me Honda is a big brother of HH, where we again go mad for spares!
I got a P220 rear sprocket on mine-front cannot be fitted.
It has 3 teeth lesser than what Zma has-so that results in taller gearing.
I am in love with this mod-now my bike does 100-at a lazy 5600RPM,and top speed is more or less the same,and acceleration is almost the same,and i love the fact,that i can easily pull her more through the gears.
and no problem even on the steepest inclines.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 17:11   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I got a P220 rear sprocket on mine-front cannot be fitted.
It has 3 teeth lesser than what Zma has-so that results in taller gearing.
I am in love with this mod-now my bike does 100-at a lazy 5600RPM,and top speed is more or less the same,and acceleration is almost the same,and i love the fact,that i can easily pull her more through the gears.
and no problem even on the steepest inclines.
Hmmm, P220 chain is an o-ring chain, isnt it? One can get new ZMA front sprockets for ~65rs or so.

How much did the P220 sprocket kit cost you?
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote