Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st October 2008, 16:31   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
No great gains. You will loose fuel effciency for sure. However if you are looking at all out mods, then you can consider. Makes no sense otherwise.
Ok saar, reading between the lines I hear you telling my sell the bike if I want some serious performance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Praful better would be to wait for someone to come out with Chip re-maps
IMO, I doubt if that'll ever happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
So the question is would the Pulsar 220 chain suit the Karizma, are they of the same size (link pitch & width)? Karizma has a 520 sized chain. P220 has an o-ring chain which should last better without chain cover. And what about chain length?
The Karizma's rear sprocket can be transplanted onto the 220, so I don't think you should have any issue with link pitch and width. And even with O-rings the max the chain will last you is about 20K. Unless you can spend an hour or so every weekend cleaning and lubing it, even with that much hypercare I really doubt if it would go beyond 25K! Unless the place you stay is really really dirt free!

Last edited by praful : 1st October 2008 at 16:33.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:26   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Praful, thanks for the good news 20k is good chain life in our dusty conditions as far as i understand. I have heard of karizma chains wearing out at 7k, 8k duration.

Update:
Today being a holiday went for testing at Airport peripheral road near the beach, i was with a friend on a Bullet Electra with K&N filter and a Goldie pipe. The peripheral road is less windy than the bypass but straight sections are not as long as the bypass, but it's still good. The road is level with no inclination. Since the road has couple of good 90 degree smooth fast left handers and right handers it was also possible to check the grip levels of the tire. And since i've been practising countersteering on a reguar basis i was able to put it to good use here. It was afternoon and hot so didn't bother changing the jets and testing again.

I was able to touch a top speed of almost 135( needle went a lil past the 130mark) on the speedometer. The bike picks up speed quickly and the tacho needle was nearing the redline slowly and surely. Bike could've done a lil bit more since the speed was also climbing but slowly but we were running out of straight road. 130 on the speedo may not be impressive but it is pretty good since I wasn't crouching down (i never crouch lol.. back is stiff), and in stock condition the bike used to struggle to cross 120 mark on the speedo.

I think i can go a lil more higher with the main jet size. I shall check the speed once again, with 135 mains, during the weeked in similar conditions to see how it performs. The midrange is a bit lean.. i have to sort it out with another needle or putting washers under the stock needle. Pilot circuit is pretty good with the 40 jet. When the fiter comes i think i should be able to run 135 size or higher on the mains.

Pirelli Sport demon eventhough heavy and performance sapping is a dream on corners!
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:25   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone tell me the size of the P220 sprocket?
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:21   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pirelli Sport demon eventhough heavy and performance sapping is a dream on corners!
Yep that tire is a beauty
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the size of the P220 sprocket?
The P220 rear sprocket is 37T, it might bit too much of a downsize from your 40T so you can try out the P200's rear which is a 38T.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:28   #96
BHPian

I wont suggest anything lesser than the stock 40T for the zma. It will make it hopelessly sluggish. As it is, its pretty tall-geared.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 10:09   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

I will hold back sprocketing for a while. Let me make the bike hit the rev limiter in 5th (possible?) before i do the sprocketing. If i put a smalle sprocket it should be able to peak in 5th gear, if it doesn't then there is no use in putting a smaller sprocket.

Btw i forgot to mention earlier but there is a popping noise from exhaust when i shut the throttle. Popping should happen only if the pilot circuit is lean. But it's not the case right now. I have disabled the air injection system (vacuum feed to the air pump is disconnected). But coasting enrichner is connected and working.
Old 4th October 2008, 12:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I will hold back sprocketing for a while. Let me make the bike hit the rev limiter in 5th (possible?) before i do the sprocketing. If i put a smalle sprocket it should be able to peak in 5th gear, if it doesn't then there is no use in putting a smaller sprocket.

Btw i forgot to mention earlier but there is a popping noise from exhaust when i shut the throttle. Popping should happen only if the pilot circuit is lean. But it's not the case right now. I have disabled the air injection system (vacuum feed to the air pump is disconnected). But coasting enrichner is connected and working.
Our Karizma with a Race cam and full works was struggling to hit the rev limiter frankly. Hitting the rev limiter with the stock gearing means a true 142kmph with the stock wheel size of 100/90 * 18.
Popping noise from the exhaust can come even with a rich mixture(pilot) or with a lean mainjet.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 05:20   #99

Is it possible to derestrict a stock exhaust, while maintaining adequate back pressure and also staying within acceptable decibel levels....
uh .....am I asking for too much..
pratap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 17:07   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Our Karizma with a Race cam and full works was struggling to hit the rev limiter frankly. Hitting the rev limiter with the stock gearing means a true 142kmph with the stock wheel size of 100/90 * 18.
Popping noise from the exhaust can come even with a rich mixture(pilot) or with a lean mainjet.
Well.. in that case i'll leave the sprocketing stock.
The pilot circuit is rich especially after i reconnected the coasting enrichner which makes it even more richer during closed throttle. I don't think i need the coasting enrichner to be enabled with the uprated pilot jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap007 View Post
Is it possible to derestrict a stock exhaust, while maintaining adequate back pressure and also staying within acceptable decibel levels....
uh .....am I asking for too much..
Even i would like to know about de restricting the stock pipe. Joel any inputs? What if i use the pre cat con CBZ exhaust connected to the Karizma header pipe... or how do i remove the cat from the Karizma's pipe?
Old 5th October 2008, 17:18   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how do i remove the cat from the Karizma's pipe?
Dont even think of doing it.
I have done it and now exhaust at idle as if there are a million loose metal particles in it..and not to mention you hardly gain anything after removing or burning the cat con.

Better option would be to try a CBZ exhaust(the older one without cat con),it is much lighter as well.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 18:58   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Better option would be to try a CBZ exhaust(the older one without cat con),it is much lighter as well.
Yep, this is what i really want to try out.
Old 6th October 2008, 00:04   #103
WiZ

Well, a few months back when i was too crazy on extracting maximum performance ( that too, without a single penny in hand ) and with no cash for a free flow, i just chopped down the stock exhaust.I think it kinda removed 2 shells inside,as i had chopped it just after the first 2 rivet's.

The end result was that the bike was revving more freely.I mean like it just kept on revving nice without the usual effort it takes.
WiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 08:18   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Wiz, glad to see Karizma owner from Tvm on Tbhp. Where are you put up in Tvm?
Yep once the restriction is out of the way of the gases the engine would rev much more freely. Similar effect was noticed when i switched between the stock restricitve muffler and the freer flowing goldie type pipe on my Bullet. I hope you have jetted correctly after the exhaust chop.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:30   #105
WiZ

Hi ! I'm actually from Varkala.But i'm studying at Chennai.

Yeah i'm actually running a slightly bigger jet than the stock one,i dunno what size it is coz we brought a lot af jet's and started drilling using different bit sizes and tested each jet one by one.Most of them ended in huge flutter,while somehow the current one is going fine.
WiZ is offline   Reply With Quote