Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:08   #226
BHPian

BBR Rev box wont work on the Karizma/CBZ wiring. It needs a whole new set-up. so forget it. We have one lying since over a year now.
Forget upgrading the CDI and its a lon stroke motor, no point in making it rev higher and kill reliability.
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:25   #227
Senior - BHPian

Rode it last week. Better torque. I was very impressed the way it pulled when we accelerated while climbing a hill. Couldnt test it much as time was limited and I didnt take it outside city. Use first gear to startle pillions.
Old 4th December 2008, 07:31   #228
BANNED

Yep just as i thought. Thanks for clearing that up Joel. Imo it's best to build up on the torque rather than trying to make it a screamer.
Old 4th December 2008, 20:21   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yep just as i thought. Thanks for clearing that up Joel. Imo it's best to build up on the torque rather than trying to make it a screamer.
That long stroke can never become a screamer. The gyroscopic effect will ensure that.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:12   #230
BANNED

Latest stuff:

1) Bought Amaron 9Ah maintenance free battery to replace the stock 7Ah

2) Got a Philips 100/130W bulb. Philips Xtreme power 55/60 is temporarily taken out of service.

Installation of battery. Many have installed 9Ah batteries in their Karizmas but from what've been told they had to cut and weld the battery holding clamp to make it fit. I wanted to avoid this. They also reported right hand side panel not closing properly after they installed a 9Ah battery. This had to be sorted out. Now a few photos of the installation.

Instead of cutting and welding the clamp was bent to take up the extra width of the battery.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00340.jpg

Using a plier the end of the battery box where the retaining nut is present was bent inwards at an angle that match the bent clamp.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00342.jpg

See this is how it bolts up. Perfect!
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00344.jpg

But there was a problem. The side panel wasn't closing properly leaving a large gap near the tank. It was found out that the battery retaining clamp's bolt's head was causing this. So that bolt was replaced with a flat screw head type bolt. Problem solved!
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00346.jpg

Side panel is now perfectly seated.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00348.jpg

These are the boxes.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00350.jpg
Old 6th December 2008, 01:25   #231
Senior - BHPian

Sankar 100/130W???

even a 100/90w burns the reflector

Btw how is it performing any pics of the headlight beam at night?
Old 6th December 2008, 10:47   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Sankar 100/130W???
even a 100/90w burns the reflector
Btw how is it performing any pics of the headlight beam at night?

Nopes no issues if he is not a rider who rides non stop for 3 hours in night, if you take that into consideration even a 60/55w melts the reflector in continous riding say for about 3 hours. so one has to be carefull after they upgrade the bulbs and not use it for continous riding in night. these plastic reflectors are too sensitive when it comes to heating, whereas in rx its a different story overall.

EDIT : Sankar why didn't you try mico the light spread is better then philips though.

Last edited by praJEEP : 6th December 2008 at 10:49.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:45   #233
BANNED

I'm planning to do a major ride with a lot of night riding involved. Let me see how the reflector holds up

Will take a few pics at night and post.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:54   #234
BHPian

Sankar,

You have fitted a relay I presume . I found the 100/90 didn't run as well , apparently not getting the full 8.3amps from the stock 7AH battery . That alternator is rated at 188W, account for losses , consumption for ignition,other lamps and tacho/speedo and you might be running in narrow margin. Not to mention, can the stock wiring hold up to nearly 4 times the stock current , if the battery can supply that much juice ?
Old 7th December 2008, 07:52   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Sankar,

You have fitted a relay I presume . I found the 100/90 didn't run as well , apparently not getting the full 8.3amps from the stock 7AH battery . That alternator is rated at 188W, account for losses , consumption for ignition,other lamps and tacho/speedo and you might be running in narrow margin. Not to mention, can the stock wiring hold up to nearly 4 times the stock current , if the battery can supply that much juice ?
Good to see you here Ricci.
Even accounting for the losses I think there should be enough juice to sustain the 100/90, never tried the 130/100 though. But you're right.. the stock wiring for atleast the headlight needs to be upgraded. I'm alternating between the 60/55 and the 100/90 with no battery drain felt except if I have the headlight on while I'm braking and I try to use the horn at the same time it seems feeble but the headlight never dims.
Attached Thumbnails
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc09683.jpg  

Old 7th December 2008, 08:56   #236
BANNED

The pics don't show you the real intensity of the bulb. While taking these pics almost all the vehicles that came from the opposite side dipped their headlights even when the bike's beam was dipped

High
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00354.jpg

Low
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00352.jpg

Quote:
Sankar,

Ricci, i have installed a Bosch headlamp relay, so the stock wiring would be safe! Did you mean to say not getting full8.3Amps from the stock 7Ah battery or the 9Ah battery? I know, with this headlamp bulb i have far exceeded the alternator's rated capacity. With the headlamp+brake lamps+tail lamps the draw would be 130W+40W+10W=180W, very close to or maybe beond the capacity. Using indicators would add another 40W to it and will take it definitely beyond alternator's capacity. Console lamps would draw only in Milliwatts since they're LEDs. Unless i use the headlamp+braklamp+indicators together i don't thin i should worry... or should i? How much current does the ignition system need?
Old 7th December 2008, 09:50   #237
BHPian

hi whats the price for amaron 9ah battery & philips bulb?
Old 8th December 2008, 00:00   #238
BHPian

@Sankar,

As I understand it, a relay only takes the load off the switchgear , using the switch only to turn the relay curcuit on. But the relay wire doesn't run the full length of the circuit upto the headlamp itself , or does it ? I hadn't used a relay , but even with 60/55 the headlamp would dim when the brake lamps came on. The Pulsar has a 9AH battery and runs a 55W with no problems, but can't say when you have a 130/100 . Heck I read here some car/SUV guys melted their reflectors or burnt the bulb contacts .

Yes the LEDs consume < like 0.5-1 W each , but the ignition circuit should be a major client ! And there are CDI, RR unit , the few electronics that would also take up 10-20W combined , plus the inherent losses across the circuit length. The rated 188W is at 5000RPM and it's a nominal value again, actual could be less ( or more ) .

This is one interesting thread , do keep up posted .
Old 8th December 2008, 00:03   #239
BHPian

@Pratap

From the snap it looks like you've changed the wires. What guage is the new wire and did you manage to find the OEM wire guage ?
Old 8th December 2008, 09:59   #240
BANNED

Quote:
@Sankar,

As I understand it, a relay only takes the load off the switchgear , using the switch only to turn the relay curcuit on. But the relay wire doesn't run the full length of the circuit upto the headlamp itself , or does it ? I hadn't used a relay , but even with 60/55 the headlamp would dim when the brake lamps came on. The Pulsar has a 9AH battery and runs a 55W with no problems, but can't say when you have a 130/100 . Heck I read here some car/SUV guys melted their reflectors or burnt the bulb contacts .

Yes the LEDs consume < like 0.5-1 W each , but the ignition circuit should be a major client ! And there are CDI, RR unit , the few electronics that would also take up 10-20W combined , plus the inherent losses across the circuit length. The rated 188W is at 5000RPM and it's a nominal value again, actual could be less ( or more ) .

This is one interesting thread , do keep up posted .
Ricci, It runs the full length from the Battery to the headlamp. Load is taken entirely off the stock wiring.

I have changed back to Philips Xtreme Power 55/60 yesterday, can't afford to have a burnt bike while on the impending long ride

I have to somehow find out what's the current draw by the ignition circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
hi whats the price for amaron 9ah battery & philips bulb?
1500 bucks for the Amaron 9Ah battery. Philips bulb - it depends on which one you want.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th December 2008 at 10:00.

Most Viewed