Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th September 2008, 13:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Krish bhai saab I hope your ZMA is still running with 18inchers and not the 17"'s that you've just mentioned.

Doesn't the Zapper Vyde come in the 18" variant thats in a tubeless flavour?

Btw, why the sudden change...any issues on the Thanjavur ride?
Stupid me... my tyre info seems to be still in pulsar mode

Thanks Praful for that... I didn't go to Thanjavur.. didnt want to risk travelling alone at this time

Anyway for future rides (at least initial ones), it might most probably be without another biker for company

Where can I get the Zapper Vyde? As you know I'm new to Bangalore.. don't know any good shops here. Maybe u can join me as well.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th September 2008 at 13:36. Reason: Excessive smilies, only 2 per post please
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:07   #17
BHPian

Hi,

Would like to hear from long term users of tubeless motorcycle tires about the real life performance and problems in Indian road conditions.Specially long solo rides.

Thanks
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

My Karizma is now runing on Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90 18 tubeless tyres at the rear. I'm using tube in it because i'm worried about having a breakdown if the alloy rim bend and let out all the air if i'm to hit a pothole hard. A friend of mine went into a pothole at 100+ and both the front and the rear alloy got bent. I saw his wheel rims, it didn't break it just bent. He didnt have a tubeless tyre also he was able to continue the journey.

Using a Tuff up tube, like Sunnyboi suggested, is a good compromise and that is what i'm gonna do.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
My Karizma is now runing on Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90 18 tubeless tyres at the rear. I'm using tube in it because i'm worried about having a breakdown if the alloy rim bend and let out all the air if i'm to hit a pothole hard. A friend of mine went into a pothole at 100+ and both the front and the rear alloy got bent. I saw his wheel rims, it didn't break it just bent. He didnt have a tubeless tyre also he was able to continue the journey.

Using a Tuff up tube, like Sunnyboi suggested, is a good compromise and that is what i'm gonna do.
Sankar i guess you are taking it too far buddy
I have tubeless on my zma since 50k Kms.
I switched to tubeless when my zma's front tube burst because i hit a Stone at 120Km\hr(was a horrible experience-had a real tough time managing the bike).

2nd instance-hit a huge boulder at speeds in excess of 100km/hr with a tubeless tyre,alloy got bent and bike never lost its line because of the tubeless tyre(although it deflated 2 minutes later).

So in my opinion there is no point running a tube in a tubeless tyre.

I never had to stop for flats all these 50k kms on tubeless rubber(total peace of mind).
used them on stones,in himalayas they never missed a beat.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 3rd November 2008 at 23:12.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Sankar i guess you are taking it too far buddy
I have tubeless on my zma since 50k Kms.
I switched to tubeless when my zma's front tube burst because i hit a Stone at 120Km\hr(was a horrible experience-had a real tough time managing the bike).

2nd instance-hit a huge boulder at speeds in excess of 100km/hr with a tubeless tyre,alloy got bent and bike never lost its line because of the tubeless tyre(although it deflated 2 minutes later).

So in my opinion there is no point running a tube in a tubeless tyre.

I never had to stop for flats all these 50k kms on tubeless rubber(total peace of mind).
used them on stones,in himalayas they never missed a beat.
Just paranoid in having to deal with a air leak if I manage to bend the wheels. The truth is i bought the tubeless to run without tubes and look at what i'm doing now

Ok, if i am to go tubeless which tubeless can i use at the front?
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Just paranoid in having to deal with a air leak if I manage to bend the wheels. The truth is i bought the tubeless to run without tubes and look at what i'm doing now

Ok, if i am to go tubeless which tubeless can i use at the front?
you dont have any options apart from Duro
You can use HF329-90\90\18(touring pattern-wears out completely in 8-9K kms)
or Duro HF918-90\90\18(road tyre-currently using this after wearing out two HF329's)
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:37   #22
BHPian

Pirelli Sport Demon, 120/80-18 or 140/80-18, I don't remember, is the best tubeless tire I had on my ZMA for couple o months.

Nowhere am able to procure it now! Looks beautiful on ZMA.

But think I had to chop the chain guard to fit the tire, this not a good idea.

Best bet I think is to change to 17inchers front and back, use R15 combo! Wonder how this will affect spring load and swing-arm travel.Think I will experiment on this once I acquire the resources!

PS. I have owned 3 ZMAs in span of 5 years, safe bet is stick to stock config. everything runs like charm!
vittalnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 11:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Sankar

Please man remove that tube. I had 7 odd punctures in the stock tire but not a single on the PSD in over 6k kms of usage. The alloys are very strong man dont underestimate them. At worst always carry a tube (may be beneath the seat) but dont do what you are doing man.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 11:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Wokay! I shall remove the tube then
Old 7th December 2008, 20:11   #25
BHPian

hi i think even tubeless tires have dedicated tube for it & if its punctured it can hold for some time but it cannot be repaired by local puncture shops. but it doesn't loose air as conventional rim wheeled & no need to fill air in it i guess.
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi i think even tubeless tires have dedicated tube in it
No there is nothing like that. The tubeless tire has thicker lips & the compound is different. It doesn't have any tube.
Old 8th December 2008, 07:04   #27
BHPian

hi tubeless tire info link

Indian Tyres, Tyre market, Global Tyre companies
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 09:22   #28
BHPian

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while now. I notice folks here are worried about power loss if one goes over 120/80 for the rear tire on the Karizma. What puzzles me is that the Avenger, with a smaller engine has a 140 on the rear. I get the concept that unsprung weight is bad, but I mean, can the few lbs that a wider tire adds really cause a performance issue?

That's like saying the bike will be slower if you don't take a big dump in the morning Is this an urban legend?
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:37   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

You have a valid query with a weird example LOL

Its all relative, the bike's performance does get hampered marginally if the tire size is more more as well as the tire is heavy which is the case with PSD, its almost double the weight of stock tire & has 15-20% more contact are with sticky rubber & which does have an impact but only marginally.

I hope this explains.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:03   #30
BHPian

The best place to get tyres is SAI Iyengar tyres (Michelin dealer)Lalbagh rd and CMH rd,Bangalore.The owners are also very educative in tyres And sell them at competative price.

If ur looking at MRF tyres then u can go to MRF showroom on JC rd ,when ur travelling down from minerva circle towards Chowdaiah Memorial hall its on the right.
Last month wheni changed my bike tyres ,there was some tubeless tyres also..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th December 2008 at 12:13. Reason: see note in post
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote