Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd March 2005, 20:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda Dio

Well, I have had a chance to drive 3 Dio's over the past week, and have driven them for varying intervals of time, and have also ridden in the pillion seat ( behind a total nutter!!)

Styling:
Well, what is there to say? It looks brilliant, with all its cuts, creases, sharp edges, and superb headlight and taillight detailing.
But there still are people who hate its styling, preferring the less radical Nova. But I am in the Dio camp for sure!!

Build:
Excellent quality as far as the controls are concerned. But I am afraid it does feel a little on the flimsy side compared to all-metal scooters like the Activa and Nova, this feeling accentuated by its comparitive lightness.

Ergonomics, Practicality:
One thing I found a little funny in it: The footwell was inclined quite a bit, in the forward direction. Although I initially baulked at this, I realised I didnt notice anything when I rode, so it must be ok.
I am a small-built person, so the leg space seemed cavernous for me. The pillion rider gets partially left out in the deal, he or she having to put their legs more forward than usual and on to dimunitive pegs.
Luggage space satisfactory, no more.

Performance, refinement:
The Dio's engine is silent and vibration free at low revs.
Cane it, and the scooter really gets going, 50 coming up rather quickly, and even after that, acceleration is strong and steady uptil around 70. I reached around 80 in the wee hours of the day on an almost-deserted road.
Mid range and low rev punch is good, the bike can leap forward to your command.

Handling, Grip:
The Dio is extremely stable over rough surfaces, and she is confidence inspiring.
Through the bends, the rider is initially unsure of whether to push the bike, but it is completley safe to subject her to sudden direction changes, the Dio takes it all in her stride. Although she still is, and will remain a scoot, never approaching the dynamic ability of a bike.

Verdict:
The Dio's main problem is the price, which, at around 36000 rs, is a little on the higher side, now that bikes have started appearing at enticingly( pun not intended) lower prices, so sometimes it makes sense to spend a little more and get a good bike.
But scooters are so mcuh easier for the city run, no gears to shift, and squirt-and-go ability.
But if the choice is between this and the Nova siblings, I would go for the Honda any day as they are more reliable, have a better after-sales service reputation, and the performance difference is small. And it looks so much better!!!

Hope this provided a useful insight.
Hoping team-bhp ians dont have prejudices against scooters and wont destroy me for posting a scoot roadtest!!

Cheers,
Islero
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:39   #2

well, a good post. I own a Dio for last 1&1/2 Years. I havent faced any problems todate. Milage around 40.
But still the shockups are not that good. On smooth roads, this scooter feels wonderful. But a somewhat bumpy road and we know the difference between a byke and a scooter.
sbhalkikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, i think vehicles like the Dio would be the perfect city run about for guys like me, who aren't into biking. It's fuel efficient and has enuf power at hand.

I think it's good for 80kmph, however, i wouldn't want to push it beyond 60kmph.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 14:35   #4
BHPian

The Dio is an extremely good vehicle and perfect as a city runabout. Having ridden my friends dio for sometime, the only complaint i have against it is that for slightly taller people (me being around 6') the handlebars tend to touch your knees and make turning a slight problem.
I have ridden an activa too and i dont remember facing this problem on it. Correct me if i am wrong but i think the activa has the same engine as the dio. But apart from this the dio is an excellent vehicle.
aggressive_anush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 23:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have been using DIo isnce Dec 2003 and I am pretty happy with it.
Good power, nice Fuel efficiency (get somewhere bet 45-50), really nice looking
Couldn't be more happier
My only complain is its floor mat which comes as an accesorry is not well fitted & moves from time to time

Anyways good vechical for anyone looking for non-geared two wheeler
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 23:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

yeah the floor mat moves off its place on hard turning.as said before it is good for use in the city.but all scooters donnt have good enough shocks to handle indian "khaddas".Fuel efficiency is about 40.its a little pepy and feels good.starts vibrating after 75 kmph but thats reasonable for a scooter.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 00:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
starts vibrating after 75 kmph but thats reasonable for a scooter.
for single rider yes but when running with pillon rider idd not felt any vibrations at all
can u belive it I touch 90kmph (on speedo) on Dio double seat no problem at all...
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 08:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends managed 88 kmph, I think thats about as fast as it can go.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Default scooters, Is it?

remainds me of the first lambretta that i ownwd in the late seventies.
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 15:01   #10
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hi guys...
well my Deo use to give me some waew beetween 35-40KMPL but when i got it serviced in Kromangala, Bangalore, it droped down to 29KMPL...
i wont to get it tuned properly...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 19:25   #11
BHPian

i own a activa and the dio is just teh same machine wid a diff flesh....however both r damn agile and neatly carve the traffic and its really fun to ride in busy streets....the power delivery is constant. The mileage is however a little unstable and tends to drop to even 30kmpl.....so ist better u stay soft wid the throttle, but for me who likes to always reach the 3 digit figure on my bike, a activa or a dio is just not my cup of tea.......
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 19:53   #12
BHPian

hey guys
i personally own a dio since one year and i have had a nice experience with it. the power is awesome and pickup is also awesome. i touched 95 kph on the speedo and still no vibrations i have driven the nova but didnt like it it felt quite bulky.It dosent have that nice pickup also. The best part is dio's whole body is available in a minimum 1100 Rs. So once you have scratches or you feel bored with your color you can change the color for a whooping 1100 bucks. The mileage is also ok. I have driven the activa also but didnt like that much as the dio
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 01:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey guys
i touched 95 kph on the speedo and still no vibrations
u better check ur speedo or there must be a lot of tailwind pushing u forward to reach 95kmph.at most the Dio touches is 80kmph with no help from the wind and 85kmph with a decent tailwindwind.the dio is definately good and has very good engine but it does not have ride or handling of the oil filled suspesion of the Bajaj saffire(2nd ed).

also now a new Bajaj wave has come out with 110cc DTSI engine and 8bhp.it has topspeed of 84kmph(true).i have touched 92kmph on speedo while on testdrive.it has definately better engine than even the Honda twins and is exceptionally well made for a fibre bodied scooter.also it costs only Rs32500+tax=36K onroad while dio comes to around 43K onroad with all accesories like (stand,numberplate,glovebox,ladies food rest etc.....especially as none of it is standard).unlike on like on the bajaj.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 3rd June 2005 at 01:45.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 14:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
u better check ur speedo or there must be a lot of tailwind pushing u forward to reach 95kmph.at most the Dio touches is 80kmph with no help from the wind and 85kmph with a decent tailwindwind.the dio is definately good and has very good engine but it does not have ride or handling of the oil filled suspesion of the Bajaj saffire(2nd ed).

also now a new Bajaj wave has come out with 110cc DTSI engine and 8bhp.it has topspeed of 84kmph(true).i have touched 92kmph on speedo while on testdrive.it has definately better engine than even the Honda twins and is exceptionally well made for a fibre bodied scooter.also it costs only Rs32500+tax=36K onroad while dio comes to around 43K onroad with all accesories like (stand,numberplate,glovebox,ladies food rest etc.....especially as none of it is standard).unlike on like on the bajaj.
yeah but the 95 kph was the speedo reading anyways i have driven the bajaj saffire and found it very lousy. i like the honda and i am a proud honda owner and dont compare it with the wave the dio is 102 cc engine and the wave is a 110 cc dtsi engine so there will be definitely difference in power. anyways if i am given a choice i would definitely take the dio only
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote