Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st October 2008, 11:57   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7

Hi All,

After a I sold of my ZMA last year(Check out my old rides here - My Steeds) I was itching to buy a new bike since some time but this time around the Objective was different. I was not looking for an out & out performance bike. I wanted a bike which would be used 90% for commuting & 10% for highway weekend runs. The bike needed to be fun to ride with a few gizmos & decent grunt.

After going over various bikes in past few weeks & discussing with some biker friends finally fixed up on the Apache RTR Carb.

So got my babe yesterday & its been barely 24 hours that I have had her(done 76kms) & am grinning from ear to ear

Few Observations:

- I am restricting it to below 4.5k rpm(very difficult :( ) yet the bike has decent pull right from 3k upwards

- self works well & so do other electricals The head light spread is very good

- There seems to be some kind of khat khat sound at times which I suspect is coming from Chain nothing big but still

- The RVMs have good coverage but I believe its slightly lesser than those on ZMA & Pulsars (not 220)

- The hand grips are firm & have good feel

- The riding posture as expected is different & will take some time to get comfortable.

- The exhaust note is good & while riding you dont hear any noise.

- The engine runs very smooth & seems to have different sound(obviously than my previous rides) I think it has some minute tappet sound(only noticeable if you specifically try to hear the engine) which I have heard is standard & not an issue :P Will still get it checked during first service

I will post more observations as I ride more

Here are the pics of my latest ride

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-front.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-rear2.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-rtr.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-rtr160.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-2903059807_cbed4dae47_b.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-2.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-rhs.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-lhs.jpg

TVS Apache RTR - Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Fun on Twisties, Pics on Pg7-front-disk.jpg
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Techno, congrats man. Wow, does she look HOT . Great choice of color, it really brings out the beauty of the design.

Have loads of fun and ride safe. Do let us know if riding position is really as tiring on the wrists as it is made out to be or does it only matter for long rides. Also waiting for some feedback on pillion comfort and navigating the bike through traffic.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome bike Techno and great choice of colour too. Not much of a bike guy but she sure looks nice. Enjoy the new ride and yes great photography too
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new set of wheels Techno.

She looks very racy and hot in yellow. The black stripe adds to the sporty look.

Why didn't you pick up the FI version which comes with rear disc brakes?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sammyboy: Thanks man. Well the bike is small & with clip ons My back did hurt a bit but that was the case when I had bought my 180 back in 2003 infact I had terrible pain in my forearms that time. So I think this is more due the different posture & will go once I get used to it but will surely update on this as I ride more

@Dippy: Thanks Buddy. Well chose this color also because it had both of my previous bike's colors

@Aditya: Thanks man. FI was 9k extra Although the FI did feel better I didnt feel any significant advantage of the rear disk when I tested both bikes & a few others who rode these bikes (RTR carb & FI)confirmed the same. The mileage was just 5 kpl more & right now only one Service center services FI & its in other end of the town. Also as of today its easier to mod a Carb RTR than the FI
Old 1st October 2008, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Congrats Techno! The bike is looking super with the air dams and engine cowl.

Are there any settings on the clipon handlebars which will improve the riding position?
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 13:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Vabs. From what I know the clip ons have two position settings but am not sure how or what the impact would be with the other settings
Old 1st October 2008, 14:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Techno! Yellow surely does suit the RTR better than any other colour. The way that engine revs is addictive and you need to take the revs higher to really enjoy this screamer. I would've been the proud owner of an RTR if i were to keep my Bullet. But it didn't work out.

Btw on my colleague's RTR the mirrors tend to get loose on their shaft after some amount of riding, it never maintains the set position. If such a thing happens get the mirrors changed during warranty.

The RPM dial is a beauty at night as the needle glows dark orange! And don't be alarmed if the speedo shows the top speed attained as some 165kmph or something like that It has happened to my colleague's bike and i have heard this happen on another forum too. It's a bug doesn't happen all the time.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sankar.

The needle glows in Red See here

The mirrors seem to hold their positions well so far :P Also somehow am not getting the famed vibrations either.

Yeah Digi speedos are fun & would love to see the 165 will give me some bragging rights too

On a serious note the clock feature is really helpful & which I missed very much after selling the ZMA.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st October 2008 at 15:01.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

Lovely colour.
Love the front disc.

Interesting console.

Ride safe. Good bike you got there. Rubber side down.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:40   #11
BHPian

The clock is something I miss now while riding the R15, since I dont ride my RTR too much. You already know about the laurels of the RTR, so congrats on your new ride.
Doa running-in in the range of 5-7k. vary the engine load. Run-in for 1000kms and then start the twist. The RTR comes with very low bore clearance, so a hard run-in will work well after 1k kms.

Joel
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tech, Congrats on your new ride. Looks awesome in yellow and kudos to your photography skills as well.
Yellow looks really good on the RTR and like you rightly pointed out, once you get used to the riding position, you will not have the pains as i owned one for 5500kms.

Had a quick question though, the tank cowls are provided on the FI only right..? Or are they providing it on the Carb version as well nowadays. Am asking because, mine did not have the cowls and mine was a carb version. Is it that the carb version has a solid racing stripe and the FI has a dotted or rather split racing stripe?
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Bblost.

Joel: I was waiting for your reply, I am planning to stretch beyond 5k rpm after first 100-200 kms.

- Does the o-ring makes some sound?
- The engine on listening carefully makes some tapet like sound I had heard that its by default & there is nothing wrong.
Quote:
The RTR comes with very low bore clearance, so a hard run-in will work well after 1k kms.
Please elaborate

Any other Dos & donts?

@abhinav: Thanks man. The RTR Refresh(Also called 2008 RTR) had two changes over the earlier RTR; front cowls & o-ring type chain cover (old one had the fully covered one). Yes the difference is in the pattern of sticker on the scoops
Old 1st October 2008, 15:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Please elaborate
The factory set piston to cylinder clearance (gap) is tight. So bike should be subjected to careful running in. But vary the load as Joel suggested. Do a proper warm up before you subject the engine to higher loads. Don't lug the engine in a higher gear especially during running in.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Warm up I always do But then reving it in 5-7k range will make it speed higher than the manual recommended 50kph. Also I find the bike pulling easily from 30-35+ in top gear with no signs of strain should I still avoid it?

Also I usullay start opening my bikes(p180 & ZMA) after 500-600 kms increasing speed by 10kph every 100 kms & it has worked well on both of them. Will this be fine with the RTR