Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th May 2009, 15:44   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@Gansan: Did you ever try talking to RE about this directly, i understand you folks buy bikes in bulk from them.
I was not a decision maker, just an accounts guy who passed the bills for payment! The decision to buy Bullets was made by the mandarins of our company's marketing department, who insisted on Bullets because they perceived them as good value for money! So no complaints were ever made. The order will be placed in bulk from Chennai and the bikes will be delivered to all our sales offices in various states through the respective dealers.

I never used to think about this while working at the Head Office here in Chennai, but my perspective changed when I was posted to our Sales Office at Bangalore for a 5 year stint in the year 2000. I got to interact with the marketing reps. Most of them were quite young and did not consider it "cool" to be seen riding Bullets! They will visit their HQ (Bangalore office) from their place of work in the districts once a month for a meeting with our Regional Manager. Everyone except those posted in far away places like Coorg/Chickmagalore will come by their bikes, so on the day of meeting the compound will have quite a few Bullets. I was shocked to see many of the bikes, which had been purchased only a few months before I reported for duty at Bangalore, having oil leaks.

I left Bangalore in 2005, and made a visit only last February to attend a wedding. Met a couple of reps when I went to our office and learned that now a decision has been taken to leave the choice of bike to the rep concerned when the time comes to retire his bike (subject to a maximum price). They were happy about this turn of events.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 16:38   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Bro ..how soon??
plese update..
maybe people ( including me) can decide whether to wait or not.
Plus any more info about tentative price

thanks in advance
wait for another couple of months, expect pricing around 1.6L to 1.8L, also expect whopping 15k difference in pricing of 500 with carb and FI
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 17:19   #213
BHPian

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
wait for another couple of months, expect pricing around 1.6L to 1.8L, also expect whopping 15k difference in pricing of 500 with carb and FI
thanks mate
please keep updating us with all further updates on this
i hope it comes soon & doesn't kep us waiting like ninja.

May be OT - would FI add anything substantial to us as users..especially if costs 15k more?
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 18:30   #214
Senior - BHPian

It's good to see RE releasing a decades old classic model.

what pains me is that this is their most popular model from what I can see. In another thread somebody mentioned that malfunctions in bullet are a way of life (shock absorbers). why can't RE improve . They continue to live in past and make bikes for nostalgics.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 23:12   #215
Senior - BHPian

I just dont understand why the Classic is so hyped. i am sure no one here is looking for what engine it is offering. if we look at it styling wise its amost the same, i would say it is 80% the same. i am not going to pay up such a rediculas premium for just a 20% change in the styling, so if it is for the engine sure let it come but then again not a big fan of the Aluminnium on the Bullet.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 23:15   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
they have always taken us for a ride
by offering better product overseas.
yes it will be sold at premium over the regular TBTS
i've read somewhere, that even the oil seals etc. for export are better than the ones made available here. i think i read it here on teamp-bhp only.

despite the above, the almost cult status of this company's products in our country is just inexplicable.

one typical observation i have made (browsing on forums such as this) is when the shortcomings with respect to quality are pointed, its passed off as "character", and the person complaining is advised that he/she "must build a relationship with the machine" and "spend time understanding it", because its "not just a bike".

no flaming please, bullet fans. just stating observations, not even opinions.

i, myself, live in an area where bullets rule, and at least 20 bullets thump past below my window in an hour. sure the thump, the beat is intoxicating, but so far its not been enough to make me convert. maybe a long ride on one will convert me, who knows ?

the classic does look awfully good though.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 23:23   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
one typical observation i have made (browsing on forums such as this) is when the shortcomings with respect to quality are pointed, its passed off as "character", and the person complaining is advised that he/she "must build a relationship with the machine" and "spend time understanding it", because its "not just a bike".
So true....I am a big time RE fan myself and am part of a Bullet Club but I am sick and tired of jokers in forums saying that oil-leaks and all the problems associated with a Bullet are just part of the character of the bike. He11, I would say - remove that character then. We don't need it in our day and age.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 01:21   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
So true....I am a big time RE fan myself and am part of a Bullet Club but I am sick and tired of jokers in forums saying that oil-leaks and all the problems associated with a Bullet are just part of the character of the bike. He11, I would say - remove that character then. We don't need it in our day and age.
if there were more RE fans like you, i guess there wouldn't still be those oil leaks. unfortunately, you are in the minority, at least based on what i have been surfing through.

i mean, where is the motivation for the company to improve on its product, when its customers themselves come up with excuses for the sub-par quality of the company's products, which they have paid good money for, and, wonder of wonders, instead make these issues sound like desirable traits. after all it saves the company the trouble of coming up with its own excuses.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 07:28   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
i've read somewhere, that even the oil seals etc. for export are better than the ones made available here. i think i read it here on teamp-bhp only.
No way! Bullets are a laughing stock abroad. Just go back a bit and read post #204 of this thread.

If and when the order from the services and police departments dry up, the company will go kaput.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 12:42   #220
BHPian

Default Utter Ruin!

What REM have effectively done is ruin the one product that they have.

People buy Royal Enfields for the following reasons:
  1. Classic Looks
  2. Feel and Handling
  3. Thumpy, torquey engine
What REM has ruined.

1. Why has no one at REM noticed that when you down-size the tyres, you need to down-size the mud-guard as well. Are they saving alot of money by not changing the rear mud-guard? Honestly speaking it looks really bad and weird.

2. I am pretty sure that along with it looking weird, the smaller wheels/tyres have messed up the ride, handling and stability that you want on a long ride. Why did they do it? So that we have a larger choice of tyres? Stupid!

3. That engine does not belong on a Royal Enfield. Period.

REM should realise that a cool website and marketing hype is going to impress people for only so long. Why don't they focus on improving what they already have?

I do think I'm being very pessimistic and judgemental before first having ridden the bike for myself, but judging from the past I'm sure to be disappointed again. REM really shouldn't get into the 'all hype, no go' category like Kingfisher airlines and Vodafone. Hate these brands because they have really slick marketing, but nothing to back it up. When are they going to realise that they are in the service industry, and if they behave the way they do they're not going to have customers any longer.
'72 Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:59   #221
BHPian

New Bullet Classic spied @ Bangalore!

Weren’t Bullet lovers in India a little pissed when the company decided to launch the new ‘Classic’ variant abroad first? Well, here is a piece of good news for these people. A BIKE India reader sent us these pictures which were taken a few days ago at one of the authorized workshops. The Indian version, which we believe will be launched at the upcoming Auto Expo in Jan’10 will sport a similar look to the UK models. It will also sport the same EFI (fuel injected) 500cc UCE engine with twin-spark technology. Brilliant!

The 500 Classic would be priced around Rs 1.4 lakh and has a top speed of around 130km/h (true) and can cruise happily all day long at 110km/h. We are told that the bikes that were being shown to customers in Bangalore had two different exhausts as well as two different seating positions. Royal Enfield will also be looking at launching the Machismo 350 and 5S Electra with twin-spark and EFI at a later stage. We are also told that the test bikes are also on a round in different cities like Delhi, Pune, Chennai etc. So, what are you waiting for? Make a beeline for the nearest Royal Enfield showroom today.

Source: Bike India
?ushk@r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:32   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
New Bullet Classic spied @ Bangalore!
My friend said the same. Is RE relenting after the backlash or is this just an old bike in new clothing?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:39   #223
BHPian

I spotted a Classic being tested on Friday. I was on my way to Thirupati and I spotted the green color classic near Gumdipoondi on the Kolkatta highway. Sorry couldn't take a picture.
diwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:43   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
My friend said the same. Is RE relenting after the backlash or is this just an old bike in new clothing?
Well.. it has a classic look but a new EFI engine! Performance wise it should be pretty good
?ushk@r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:29   #225
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Hmm.... so we are getting export surplus stuff. Not something RE has not done before.

Will watch out for a TD.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote