Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th November 2009, 11:42   #646
BHPian

Bikers!!!!!!!! Some information for a Newbie!!!

My Cousin had booked an Electra on 6th. The next day i.e on 7th, he informed me that he has booked an Electra 5S. When I informed him why don't you go for the Classic 350. He was furious on the Sales Person.

The Sales Person informed him that the Classic 350 will take another 6 months launch. But when I informed him it is already launched on 4th November, My Cousin immediately went to the Showroom and cancelled the Booking.

Now, my queiry is Electra 5S, TBTS and Classic 350 - Which one is better?

- Budget is no constraint.
- The Rider is buying his First Bullet, but he has ridden his friends Bikes and he's
comfortable.
- Height and Weight are no problem as he's above average.
- I didn't like the looks of Electra - It looks rural, but he's comfortable.
- From the Specifications, the TBTS and Classic look identical except for
their shapes.
- We've ruled out 500 as this guy is first time buyer and we donot want to risk with
a bigger Bike.
- Is the 15K of difference between Electra and Classic justified.
- I don't have the exact pricing of TBTS.

Last edited by jaaz : 9th November 2009 at 11:48.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:18   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Are you serious?

Cheers,

Jay
Re the 1/2 liter of oil for every two liters of petrol, I am deadly serious. But, in the previous 9 months or so, I didn't see even a drop of oil under the TBTS. So there is obviously something wrong, and I am waiting for the expert to return from Chennai to get the problem fixed.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:23   #648
Team-BHP Support

Where do you put this oil. In the engine sump of in the petrol tank.
Because it just does not make sense.

If your bike is leaking oil then topping up is a good idea. But topping up 1/2 liter at a time is crazy.
Excess oil in the sump is very bad for the engine.

And who told you to fill 1/2 liter for 2 liters of petrol.
The tanks are completely different. There is no connection between the two.

Something is seriously wrong here.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:28   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Re the 1/2 liter of oil for every two liters of petrol, I am deadly serious. But, in the previous 9 months or so, I didn't see even a drop of oil under the TBTS. So there is obviously something wrong, and I am waiting for the expert to return from Chennai to get the problem fixed.
Gumming of valves, excess carbon deposition in the combustion chamber->hot spots in the engine-> pinging->holed piston, bad throttle response, excess carbon in silencer, etc are just a few of the issues you will face if you continue with this wrong practice. Even two strokers use a max of 40ML of 2T oil per liter of petrol. Stop adding oil in the petrol/fuel tank, instead monitor the oil level. BTW, doesn't the TBTS come with a see through glass for oil?

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:31   #650
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
In the meanwhile, I put in a half-liter of motor oil for every two liters of petrol...
Let me add to bblost and Jay.

WHAT??

Which orifice in the bike do you pour this oil?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:40   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Bikers!!!!!!!! Some information for a Newbie!!!

My Cousin had booked an Electra on 6th. The next day i.e on 7th, he informed me that he has booked an Electra 5S. When I informed him why don't you go for the Classic 350. He was furious on the Sales Person.

The Sales Person informed him that the Classic 350 will take another 6 months launch. But when I informed him it is already launched on 4th November, My Cousin immediately went to the Showroom and cancelled the Booking.

Now, my queiry is Electra 5S, TBTS and Classic 350 - Which one is better?

- The Rider is buying his First Bullet, but he has ridden his friends Bikes and he's
comfortable.
- Height and Weight are no problem as he's above average.
- I didn't like the looks of Electra - It looks rural, but he's comfortable.
- From the Specifications, the TBTS and Classic look identical except for
their shapes.
- We've ruled out 500 as this guy is first time buyer and we donot want to risk with
a bigger Bike.
- Is the 15K of difference between Electra and Classic justified.
- I don't have the exact pricing of TBTS.
If budget is not a problem, then go in for the Classic 500. It is in no way more or less difficult a bike compared to the 350's. The 500 is with EFI and that in itself is a huge advantage.

Without budget constraints - it is without any doubt - EFI 500.
Sheshagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:45   #652
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

- The Rider is buying his First Bullet, but he has ridden his friends Bikes and he's comfortable.

- We've ruled out 500 as this guy is first time buyer and we donot want to risk with a bigger Bike.
These 3 points out of the 8, make me suggest a new gen - read UCE bike for your cousin.

Decide between 350 or 500.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:59   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Where do you put this oil. In the engine sump of in the petrol tank.
Because it just does not make sense.

If your bike is leaking oil then topping up is a good idea. But topping up 1/2 liter at a time is crazy.
Excess oil in the sump is very bad for the engine.

And who told you to fill 1/2 liter for 2 liters of petrol.
The tanks are completely different. There is no connection between the two.

Something is seriously wrong here.
Sorry, you guys have got the wrong impression created, no doubt, by my choice of words. Of course, I am not putting the oil with the petrol!

It is just that every 100km or so, enough oil has drained out of the sump that it is not visible in the window provided (marked with max and min levels) to check the oil levels. So I top up the oil again to the max level.

Surprisingly, the oil doesn't leak if the bike just sits, but only during running. After a run, of course the oil that has already leaked out and is clinging to the case falls to the ground. But this is just a few drops, the actual oil loss is much higher, scattered all over the road the bike took. The regular service center mechanic, who is pretty good, hasn't a clue. Any ideas?
Old 9th November 2009, 13:01   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Guys, got a question!
I think I read on the RE site that the UCE engines also need 2,75 litres of engine oil. True?
If yes, why so much quantity?
I mean after they shifted to UCE, why does it require so much oil. For that matter our 220cc bikes have 1 to 1.2 litre engine oil requirement only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Essyouwe, Yes its wet sump. But so are the Karizmas and p220s. They require only 1-1.2litres of oil while the 350UCE requires 2.75litres( 2.7x more oil for 1.7x diff in cc), an amount similar to the older Bullets. Why is so much oil required in this new engine too?
Many of the owners on the enfieldmotorcycles.com community have also brought this up. Their manual states it requires 2.75 litres, but when they actually end up changing the oil only around 1.25-1.75 litres come out\go in.

Someone actually put in 2.75 litres and it started facing all the issues a bullet faces when overfilled.

Someone else brought up the possibility that it could even be a typo because it seemed to be more or less 2.75 pints which comes to around 1.3 litres.

All in all, very confusing business. I guess the first few classic owners are going to be the ASC's guinea pigs to figure out what is right.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 13:06   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, you guys have got the wrong impression created, no doubt, by my choice of words. Of course, I am not putting the oil with the petrol!

It is just that every 100km or so, enough oil has drained out of the sump that it is not visible in the window provided (marked with max and min levels) to check the oil levels. So I top up the oil again to the max level.

Surprisingly, the oil doesn't leak if the bike just sits, but only during running. After a run, of course the oil that has already leaked out and is clinging to the case falls to the ground. But this is just a few drops, the actual oil loss is much higher, scattered all over the road the bike took. The regular service center mechanic, who is pretty good, hasn't a clue. Any ideas?
If the oil isnt leaking out, the only other place it can go is the combustion chamber. Could be a shot piston ring. Also check your air filter box to see if there is any oil there.

But considering the amount you top up so frequently, I am surprised you havent noticed any change in the exhaust due to that much oil being burnt.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 13:19   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
If the oil isnt leaking out, the only other place it can go is the combustion chamber. Could be a shot piston ring. Also check your air filter box to see if there is any oil there.

But considering the amount you top up so frequently, I am surprised you havent noticed any change in the exhaust due to that much oil being burnt.
Nope, not burning any oil. The oil IS leaking out. The bike rides perfectly still (but with the oil leaking). The leaks are through the bolt holes at the very bottom of the casing. [I wonder if the RE center just didn't do a good job of replacing the "packing". But then why are the leaks only during the rides, and do not occur when the bike just sits?]

Anyway, I think we may be going off-topic. I just offered my bike as an example that RE isn't going to overcome its oil-leak reputation even with the UCE engine.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:17   #657
BHPian

Greasemonk, thanks, I guess I am not the only one who is pondering about the oil capacity!

Rollingthunda, you gave quite a shock to all! He he. Hope the oil leak is fixed soon.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 15:34   #658
BHPian

Get the piston ring checked. It might be because of that.

Quote:
Nope, not burning any oil. The oil IS leaking out. The bike rides perfectly still (but with the oil leaking). The leaks are through the bolt holes at the very bottom of the casing. [I wonder if the RE center just didn't do a good job of replacing the "packing". But then why are the leaks only during the rides, and do not occur when the bike just sits?]

Anyway, I think we may be going off-topic. I just offered my bike as an example that RE isn't going to overcome its oil-leak reputation even with the UCE engine.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 18:15   #659
BHPian

Quote:
But then why are the leaks only during the rides, and do not occur when the bike just sits?]

When the bike is running, the oil pump will be forcing oil through the filter into the crankcase and gearbox etc.

This pressure will cause leaks in problematic areas.

Check out this video of the oil lubrication in a 500cc UCE gearbox, that has been fitted with a glass covering

simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 19:40   #660
BHPian

Is this a typo on the RE website or is it this way ?
Attached Images

ashokrajagopal is offline   Reply With Quote