Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 23:08   #76
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

this is a beauty of a bike... ...but i dont see anything for a pillion rider here... ;-)
alcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:36   #77
BHPian
 
TheSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

a twisted way to look at it would be that the euro markets are the guinea pigs
we all know how RE releases newer models while still fine-tuning them

//Keve
TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 12:08   #78
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Beautiful . Hope they have an option of a pillion seat as well, if & when it is launched here.

RE is in an unenviable position of "damned if they do , damned if they don't"

They get hauled over the coals for not doing much to update their ancient models and when they do as in AVL, UCE , EFI , hydraulic valves, electric start etc, they are again pilloried for tinkering with a classic.

IMO, this model will sell even at 2lacs , in India.( in limited number., how many bikes costing 2 lacs + is sold in India anyway ) Will be a dream come true for many who want to own a harley but can't afford one now.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 12:47   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,507 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
a twisted way to look at it would be that the euro markets are the guinea pigs
we all know how RE releases newer models while still fine-tuning them

//Keve
Chris, welcome to Tbhp
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 12:59   #80
Jay
BHPian
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 819
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Wonderful bike that would be, couple of my friends who are RE enthusiasts would certainly be interested in Buying one ( if only it was available here ).
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 16:42   #81
BHPian
 
TheSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Chris, welcome to Tbhp
thanks mate

Quote:
They get hauled over the coals for not doing much to update their ancient models and when they do as in AVL, UCE , EFI , hydraulic valves, electric start etc, they are again pilloried for tinkering with a classic.
hehe, well said
TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 18:13   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Beautiful . Hope they have an option of a pillion seat as well, if & when it is launched here.

RE is in an unenviable position of "damned if they do , damned if they don't"

They get hauled over the coals for not doing much to update their ancient models and when they do as in AVL, UCE , EFI , hydraulic valves, electric start etc, they are again pilloried for tinkering with a classic.

IMO, this model will sell even at 2lacs , in India.( in limited number., how many bikes costing 2 lacs + is sold in India anyway ) Will be a dream come true for many who want to own a harley but can't afford one now.
I read your post a couple of times didnt get it mate.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont?

Damned that they price it so high for a sub standard product, damned again for asking so much and still giving a sub standard product.

Sell for 2 lakhs? Reminds me of a fool and his money something something.

And those who dream of an Harley will settle for this? Dreams?

And before you jump on me, i am no Bullet hater. Have used a bullet for atleast 10 years, i am not a part of any Bullet group, neither am i a fanboy of any other product. What i do though is call a spade a spade.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 18:42   #83
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I read your post a couple of times didnt get it mate.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont?

Damned that they price it so high for a sub standard product, damned again for asking so much and still giving a sub standard product.

Sell for 2 lakhs? Reminds me of a fool and his money something something.

And those who dream of an Harley will settle for this? Dreams?

And before you jump on me, i am no Bullet hater. Have used a bullet for atleast 10 years, i am not a part of any Bullet group, neither am i a fanboy of any other product. What i do though is call a spade a spade.
Buddy , no need to get personal. You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. If some one disagrees with your views , he does not become a fool or vice versa.

One set of hard core bulleteers do not want the bike to change, as in continue with cast ironblock , right side gear shifter etc. Where as there is another set of riders, who would want to see improvements in the bike , keeping the spirit of the brand alive. You cant please both these groups at the same time.

About pricing , the regular TBTS is already in the 1 lac territory , 500 AVL is 1.1 lac + and RE sells quite a few hundreds of these to "fools" in India as you say.

Lot of "fools" still pay 50K + to a well maitained 20 year old RD and also bought hundreds of Hyosung 250s at close to 2 lacs. My point is there is a niche market for these bikes , even at that price point.

Those who can afford a harley today in India , will not be bothered about paying 2 lacs for a 500 cc single, IF they want to buy it. And nobody is forcing anyone to settle for this.

Btw, I wont even think of jumping on you. Have better things to do and you are no J LO

Last edited by w 12 : 15th October 2008 at 18:46.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 18:57   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Buddy , no need to get personal. You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. If some one disagrees with your views , he does not become a fool or vice versa.

One set of hard core bulleteers do not want the bike to change, as in continue with cast ironblock , right side gear shifter etc. Where as there is another set of riders, who would want to see improvements in the bike , keeping the spirit of the brand alive. You cant please both these groups at the same time.

About pricing , the regular TBTS is already in the 1 lac territory , 500 AVL is 1.1 lac + and RE sells quite a few hundreds of these to "fools" in India as you say.

Lot of "fools" still pay 50K + to a well maitained 20 year old RD and also bought hundreds of Hyosung 250s at close to 2 lacs. My point is there is a niche market for these bikes , even at that price point.

Those who can afford a harley today in India , will not be bothered about paying 2 lacs for a 500 cc single, IF they want to buy it. And nobdy is forcing anyone to settle for this.

Btw, I wont even think of jumping on you. Have better things to do and you are no J LO
First things first i was not getting personal, neither do i have any intentions.

Well read my post again - I never said anything about the price being too high. I am ready to pay 2 lakhs but give me a product worth that much. Get it?

About some wanting the old and some the new. RE has lost it. What are they selling anyways? A old model with new tech for the old world charm, or a new product with the old charm? I am confused as to how they place the product.

Dont compare other bikes with the Bullet, i did not. Lets stick to the Bullet.

Niche market - fine agree, but substandard product and then even sub standard spares? Niche products need to be a notch better then the ones bought by the masses - here it is the opposite.

Didnt get the part where you say those who can afford a Harley will not mind buying this. duh?

You still tripping on J Lo? she is hitting 40 man. Come on there are better ones out there. Or is it to do with the bulleter thing old is gold.

PS: When i said fool or anything like that, i didnt see you saying anywhere in your post that you are ready to pay 2 lakhs for it, so how did it get personal?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 00:07   #85
BHPian
 
redfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, The Windy City
Posts: 444
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I see this version of bull beautiful and good looking, as I have a classic lover deep in my heart and I myself ride an old CI 500 with a classic look. Yeas if we compare this product to any jap or european ones, bull has no value for money what we are paying. If I can get the new bull classic for 2 lac and Baby Ninja for 2 lac, the ninja would be the better buy for sure. Anyway my assumption (I may be wrong) is that bull is not a main stream product and higher models are aimed to enthusiast market, a price tag of 1.5 max will be fine for this UCE, FI, 28bhp, 4.2kg engine with the same styling and good tyres if it is made available here.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 08:53   #86
BHPian
 
TheSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

IMO, the 2lakh price is just someones guess! If im not mistaken it started on good old orkut! I see the bike priced at about 1.5L, altho if its a god-dammed 2L, i still see me getting one. Reminds me of the proverb, a fool and his money are quickly seperated! true innit!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
About some wanting the old and some the new. RE has lost it. What are they selling anyways? A old model with new tech for the old world charm, or a new product with the old charm? I am confused as to how they place the product.
Goin the triumph way arent they? The modern classic bandwagon is just too tempting, and who can say no to high sales figures eh
TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 10:54   #87
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
1.About some wanting the old and some the new. RE has lost it. What are they selling anyways? A old model with new tech for the old world charm, or a new product with the old charm? I am confused as to how they place the product.

2.Dont compare other bikes with the Bullet, i did not. Lets stick to the Bullet.

3.Niche market - fine agree, but substandard product and then even sub standard spares? Niche products need to be a notch better then the ones bought by the masses - here it is the opposite.


4. You still tripping on J Lo? she is hitting 40 man. Come on there are better ones out there.
1.You just reconfirm what I said earlier. RE is trying to cater to 2 distinct markets & are disappointing both.

2.Ofcourse. current TBTS is 1 lac+ . Current Machismo 500 is approx 1.2 lacs OTR. Add the value of UCE , EFI , hydraulic tapets & new styling & bling to this price . IMO this will be close to 1.75 if not 2 lacs.It will find buyers even at that price.

3. It is the buyers of REs products who will decide whether their products are priced right, for the quality offered. 2000 - 2500 people find a value proposition in these products every month, sufficient numbers for them to sustain. Can they be priced better ? certainly. Is it likely to happen ? not really, as long as they do not get some serious competition.

4. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to stick to my choices

Last edited by w 12 : 16th October 2008 at 10:56.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 11:08   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
1.You just reconfirm what I said earlier. RE is trying to cater to 2 distinct markets & are disappointing both.
Happens, when you try to do that with what is essentially essentially one product. The comments about the thin layer of chrome are very valid, as there is not enough critical differentiation to justify the price tag ($5,900, someone said) - in their target (read 'firang' - when was the last time they created a product for THIS market?) markets, one can buy the real thing at those price levels.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 11:36   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
IMO, the 2lakh price is just someones guess! If im not mistaken it started on good old orkut! I see the bike priced at about 1.5L, altho if its a god-dammed 2L, i still see me getting one. Reminds me of the proverb, a fool and his money are quickly seperated! true innit!

Goin the triumph way arent they? The modern classic bandwagon is just too tempting, and who can say no to high sales figures eh
LOL so its an orkut news, so much for 2 lakhs, problem is RE may look at your post and those on orkut and say "Hey why not?"

Again i have no issues with it retailing for 2.5 lakhs even, just give us the same quality as say we get on the R15 or the Fz16 from Yamaha (taking the latest launches in account).

And folks like you who are ready to put the money where their mouth is should be the one's shouting out from the rooftops for bettering the quality. If you pay and are happy with the substandard stuff RE dosent bother.

I am all for keeping it Classic, but then lets draw a line beetween the new and the old. Dont mix and match everything. Keep the old iron block as the Classic one. TB and all other avtars lets go new tech. Whats stopping them from doing it. No nonsense niche products with the right quality and spares. I am going to be the first in line for a Bullet then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
1.You just reconfirm what I said earlier. RE is trying to cater to 2 distinct markets & are disappointing both.

2.Ofcourse. current TBTS is 1 lac+ . Current Machismo 500 is approx 1.2 lacs OTR. Add the value of UCE , EFI , hydraulic tapets & new styling & bling to this price . IMO this will be close to 1.75 if not 2 lacs.It will find buyers even at that price.

3. It is the buyers of REs products who will decide whether their products are priced right, for the quality offered. 2000 - 2500 people find a value proposition in these products every month, sufficient numbers for them to sustain. Can they be priced better ? certainly. Is it likely to happen ? not really, as long as they do not get some serious competition.

4. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to stick to my choices
1. I always was from the first post.

2. With better quality please, for heavens sake.

3. Now thats what i dont get - the RE customers. I was an RE customer too and a totally frustated one after the numerous failures of the bike and then the spares. I have seen so many customers buy a bullet and then sell it off just because they could not afford the time, money and patience involved and then i see an equal number not complaining about the same and happily mentioning it as the "Bullet Thing". Now i know what will be the next argument ofcourse the "Bullet Thing". But why is my question. You will shout and crib and cry if the door of your M800 dosent close properly or if the coolant or oil leaks or the headlight fuses. But not the same reaction for a Bullet. why ? Is it the "Bullet Thing"?

4. Ok.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:49   #90
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
3. Now thats what i dont get - the RE customers. I was an RE customer too and a totally frustated one after the numerous failures of the bike and then the spares. I have seen so many customers buy a bullet and then sell it off just because they could not afford the time, money and patience involved and then i see an equal number not complaining about the same and happily mentioning it as the "Bullet Thing". Now i know what will be the next argument ofcourse the "Bullet Thing". But why is my question. You will shout and crib and cry if the door of your M800 dosent close properly or if the coolant or oil leaks or the headlight fuses. But not the same reaction for a Bullet. why ? Is it the "Bullet Thing"?
Lets not even discuss the "Bullet thing". Every vehicle has to deliver what it was designed for .

But if a substantial number of RE customers were frustrated & disappointed with the ownership experience , like you , then the company will close their shutters in no time. As of now, it has not happened.

Are Bullet spares overpriced , compared to other 2 wheeler brands ? I thought availability rather than prices was the issue.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hercules: My Royal Enfield Classic 350! Dodge_Viper Motorbikes 40 9th September 2016 20:28
Honda CBR 250R vs Enfield Classic 500/350 evilmessiah Motorbikes 77 15th February 2016 15:09
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Enfield Classic 350 & 500: Some colour options discontinued vinjosep Motorbikes 1 21st April 2014 11:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks