Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th October 2008, 15:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
FZ is based in the same platform as the R15/Vixion series. The stroke is a bit shorter.
the head/cylinder and configuration is totally different.
So the crank cant be a straight swap, coz of difference in length of he con-rod, bearings etc. I even suspect the piston pin dia to be different.
Carb is the same BS26.
But what willu gain with an R15 crank, a few cc?
U rather save all that trouble and put a bigger piston. Bore/stroke ratio can get better.

Joel
Cool. So that puts an end to FZ is based on Gladi engine rumours. Heck even the Bike India magazine ride report had the same rumour printed in it. I had my doubts when i read that.

Yep a few more CCs. It might need a spacer plate for that mod. Agreed that a bigger piston is much more worthwile upgrade, but when there's a probable option of increased stroke why not do that as well if it's not too complicated. With a bigger piston and stroker crank the bore to stroke ratio might become favourable too.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 20:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Cool. So that puts an end to FZ is based on Gladi engine rumours. Heck even the Bike India magazine ride report had the same rumour printed in it. I had my doubts when i read that.

Yep a few more CCs. It might need a spacer plate for that mod. Agreed that a bigger piston is much more worthwile upgrade, but when there's a probable option of increased stroke why not do that as well if it's not too complicated. With a bigger piston and stroker crank the bore to stroke ratio might become favourable too.
And I am delighted that my new ride isn't a tweaked Gladiator. I felt it affects the image the FZ is trying to put up
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 21:03   #33
BANNED

I had been to the showroom and I was specifically comparing the gladiator and the FZ .

I am sure the blocks , cylinders ,transmission are all totally different . Waiting period of 40 days put my decision off to purchase thew bike
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 17:08   #34
BHPian

Default Green cotton filters

Hello guys.

i got my FZ 16 last month and im done with my first service.

I wanted to upgrade my bike a little and i was thinking about Green cotton air filters and NGK iridium spark plugs.

I have 2 air filter models available for the FZ.

One is a normal K7.5 and thew other a bigger model K2.5.

Which one should i go for?

Your valuable suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:15   #35
BHPian

Rode an FZ flat out recently. Well no words. Never expected this from Yamaha.
Total disappointment. It simply feels like a Gladiator with 1bhp more.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Rode an FZ flat out recently. Well no words. Never expected this from Yamaha.
Total disappointment. It simply feels like a Gladiator with 1bhp more.
can you elaborate on this more ??
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:39   #37
BHPian

In simple words it packs no punch. Performance is very poor. It will get whooped by most of the 150cc bikes in its class. Except for that styling it has nothing to show for. However is a very handy package for a poser. Mr Sanjay Tripati cleverly stated us that the bike is meant for posers, so you know what Yamaha is aiming at.
10/10 for its styling, but performance is no where close to what it looks like.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:04   #38
BHPian

What i dont understand is that why didn't yamaha make this a FI bike just like the r15 .
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

I guess it didnt make sense to have the R15 and the FZ16 competing for the same space in the market. Yamaha has made clear distictions between the two to cover both kind of users, Track and City.
Plus I guess FI would have increased the pricing of the bike, just like the RTR Fi
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ridden my friend's FZ16 and the low end seems to be good and pulls well for a 150cc, but i don't think it's any better compared to, say a hunk/CBZX. RTR with it's screamer engine manages better low end pull than the FZ. FZ lacks grunt at the top and if you're used to a bike like the RTR then FZ does feels boring after that initial WOW factor wears off. Except for looks there's nothing that FZ does well, except the looks FZ does not excel in any particular thing - mileage/comfort/performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
What i dont understand is that why didn't yamaha make this a FI bike just like the r15 .
Then no one would buy it. FI would make the OTR price closer to ar maybe even beyond 80k and it's not worth it with it's 14 (or maybe 15 with FI) BHP.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:03   #41
BHPian

So is it safe to say that the RTR is a better bike? I actually think it looks decent as well.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:00   #42
BHPian

In most cases you see that converting a given engine to fuel injection will make the engine more linear and efficient. In the bargain it looses the entire character and punch the carb version would pack. Look at any example, the esteem MPFI is more linear than the carb one.
But again it all depends on what the maker was intending to do with the conversion.
Look at another example, the RTR. The RTR FI packs more punch and higher torque peak over the carb here.
A lot of engines loose power over their carb versions in the FI guise, again that is what the maker wanted. So the FZ with an FI does not necessarily mean can produce more power. To a large extent, the potential of that engine also matters in making it more efficient. The FZ has a hopeless 2 valve engine. Any work u do cant give any good results to beat any other 150cc bike.

That "midship" exhaust has a huge resonator which restricts exhaust gases heavily to give good low-mid power and looses out over 7000rpm. No wonder it runs out of steam. All the fun is only in rising it below 80kmph. If you see the FZ does not give great efficieny as well. So a freeflow pipe should make the FZ a lot more peppy.
Infact I've always seen that the Yamaha 4-strokes are never greatly efficient as the Hondas and Suzukis. You can make a Honda/Suzuki from mild to wild with decent tuning. But the Yamaha is nothing but an average performer, nothing outstanding.
Honda/Suzuki engines will mostly have the best bore/stroke too. Yamaha is very boring. Right from their moped to even the R1. Look at the bore/stroke of the Hondas. They will generally have a lot of potential.
Best part, I now own a Yamaha too...the YZF R15