Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th April 2010, 19:52   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
now that you got time for pics, can we have closeup of Engine & h/l assy ? Looks good. Hows the Avl-Ci combo performing & what do you do with all those old parts

Oh yes i will try to post more pics the problem is that i dont have a camera as of now. the bike is running good, i have not pushed it too much. still does easy 90-100. old parts i still have them up for sale.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:19   #557
BHPian

Default I think there's a different section for this kind of queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
all bull experts,

I am contemplating on buying an used Bull, preferably the std 350. What are kind of things I need consider during the process ? ANy pointers on this would be highly appreciated
I am sure you would find plenty of Bull buying advice in the relevant section. however, for starters, "used Bull, preferably the std 350" is a very very vague term. To give you an idea, you just described machines in that phrase that range from Rs. 11,000 to Rs. 1,00,000+. So i would suggest get to the relevant section and kick up a storm on this one
justROYal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:47   #558
BHPian

^
Thanks to your response.

I know its a huge range ! Hence more confusing, there is someone who would aptly price his bull while others who would fix the value more in line with passion for the bull ! Yes I shall post in the relevant section, since I considered this thread as the most viewed, I tried a shortcut
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:06   #559
h14
BHPian

Talking its a 57...

Ours is a 1957...

h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 02:44   #560
BHPian

^^ WOW..!!!!!!! Just beautiful mate
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 06:53   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Ours is a 1957...

Glorious history of 53 years! Please share some more details. Are you single owner? How many kms bike done? How many times overhauled? What is the difference of parts from new to this one?
Thanks.
(Alok) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:34   #562
BHPian

Default couldn't find the "relevant" thread

Quote:
^
Thanks to your response.

I know its a huge range ! Hence more confusing, there is someone who would aptly price his bull while others who would fix the value more in line with passion for the bull ! Yes I shall post in the relevant section, since I considered this thread as the most viewed, I tried a shortcut
...so i shall post this here...

IMO, what you are looking for is a std 350 that dates back to early 90's in which case the condition would determine the price to a large extent. But i honestly feel with RE migrating to UCE engines completely, you would run into a lot of spares hassles. People who use the lightning will tell you how they have had to scan across the country for a carburettor flange.

I have an Electra 5s that is from 2007. you can get one of these for about 50k (or maybe even lesser) in a decent condition. While they give you the old school feel of a std 350, being a CI engine, they have parts that are still in stock.

If you are looking for a classic piece (a real classic, not the UCE ones) dating before 1970's, then a bike in good condition will easily cost you above 80k. Alternatively, you can look for a std 350 in a scrap condition, pick up up dirt cheap (as less as 2.5k) and then spend 50k on it to restrore/modify it. Personal choice would be restoration
Old 4th May 2010, 17:19   #563
BHPian

My 1978 Bully after a much-needed facelift!!!
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-bull.jpg  

Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 21:19   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post
Thanks for posting your inputs. Even my search for the relevant thread went vain. I am not ready to spend more than 45k and not ready to undergo the restoration process. So I am looking for a std 350 that is in decent condition that is not beyond the 90s. As for the parts, I presume if I pick a bull in decent condition, hopefully I dont need to break my head in availing spare parts.

But what are the parts that usually break down in a bullet, considering you have good riding habits ?
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 08:31   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post

But i honestly feel with RE migrating to UCE engines completely, you would run into a lot of spares hassles.
I think as a rule the manufacturer is supposed to provide the spares for another 9years, after shutting down the production of a vehicle.
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:07   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I think as a rule the manufacturer is supposed to provide the spares for another 9years, after shutting down the production of a vehicle.
Tell that to RE!
You would have trouble finding spares of current production vehicles. Mind you, one is never refused, only delayed

Quote:
Thanks for posting your inputs. Even my search for the relevant thread went vain. I am not ready to spend more than 45k and not ready to undergo the restoration process. So I am looking for a std 350 that is in decent condition that is not beyond the 90s. As for the parts, I presume if I pick a bull in decent condition, hopefully I dont need to break my head in availing spare parts.

But what are the parts that usually break down in a bullet, considering you have good riding habits ?
"Good riding habits"...thank you! A biker doesnt need a better compliment!
If you are looking for a 90s Bull, and for 45k, you might want to look for a 2005-2006 Electra. Should be around the same range. Just that I find Electra to be a more reliable machine. And anything with moving parts - the newer the better as far as condition is concerned.

Assuming you are not looking to race, the parts of a Bullet that would give you trouble are the gearbox and the electricals. On any used bike, the gearbox is the signature the previous owner leaves, and you more or less entrust your ride comfort to how he has handled his/her bike. This might need work, and IMO, one-time replacement of parts is better than repeated tinkering.
As for the electricals, this is where Electra scores higher. Older Bullets were fired by a Circuit Breaker (CB) Point Ignition system. This needs periodic maintenance as here your circuit is closed and broken by two contact points that physically move to come in contact and then again break (something like an old call-bell). In the Electra, RE used Transistorised Coil Ignition (TCI) for the first time, and this saves you the hassle of having to bother about your CB points' timing and alingment.
You can read more about this at:
http://www.royalenfield.com/app/View...spx?MzgwMCY0MA..

All said, Bullets are beautiful, whichever make and model. So start looking for one. Keep an eye open for Tier-II cities as in places like Bangalore, the passion value shoots the prices skywards. Also, you being from Kerala might be able to contact someone there. I have heard that Kerala has a decent pick of 2nd hand Bulls.

So go ahead, pick one up for about 40k. Change the battery, the oils, the clutch and the lamps (assuming they have not been changed before you buy it), also the tyres if you need to, and you shall have yourself a gorgeous Bull.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:45   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
My 1978 Bully after a much-needed facelift!!!
Leepower, a very elegant bike. I like the old-school style front number-plate!
flotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:24   #568
BHPian

Thanks man.
The baby was a relic when I got it. It was parked near a tree and had literally become part of the tree!!! Got it fixed in Jan. Never missed a beat since then!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:47   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Ours is a 1957...

Wow! Beautiful.
Where did you manage to get the magneto points? Its so hard to come by.
Try to get an Amal carb.
Neverthless, she is a looker.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 18:22   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Wow! Beautiful.
Where did you manage to get the magneto points? Its so hard to come by.
Try to get an Amal carb.
Neverthless, she is a looker.

If this is a Magneto powered bull then why does it have a straight chasey rather it should have a Butterfly Chasey???

Or probably the chasey is changed
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote