Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes
Register Team-BHP FAQ New Topics Today's Posts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 14:04   #1
BHPian

Exclamation A Tip To Increase Your Bike's Mileage

Hi, I am a new member here and I just want to start out with some useful content for the members here...

I talked with Sudarshan from Chennai and was surprised to know that his Hero Honda Karizma R gives a mileage of 41 in the city and 49 in highways.

His bike is in perfect health. To keep the engine healthy all you have to do is, let the engine warm up before you take it to real performance. Small engines like that of Splendor NXG and Passion Plus have a horizontal engine, so as soon as the bike is started, the oil flows easily into the engine. But bikes with a high bore and stroke find it difficult to circulate the oil throughout the engine as soon as it is started.

Sudarshan recommends bikers to put the choke, self start the engine and leave it for 10-15 seconds so that the oil gets heated up and the luke warn low density oil finds it easy to circulate through upto the top of the engine. Do not leave the choke for too long as it would flood the engine with fuel. Do not open the throttle until it has run for atleast 5 km distance and the engine comes to a normal operating heat range.

If you gun the engine in cold conditions as soon as you start it, there would not be enough lubrication in the engine and it leads to more friction which ultimately damages the piston and the engine and hence your mileage will be low.

If you go to a gym, your coach will ask you to warm up before you do some heavy lifting and iron pumping… this is just like that. Your bike is not much different from your body!

Another good tip worth mentioning is to remove the saree guard if there is no use for it. It reduces dead weight by 4-5 kg and would definitely improve the performance of the engine and increase fuel efficiency.

This is not the greatest tip, but just my opinion. Let me know if you have tried something which has significantly increased your bike's mileage.

Deepak
Karizma Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd November 2008, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Straight lift from : Bike Mileage Tips... Increase Mileage of Your bike | BikeAdvice.in
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karizma Fan View Post
Another good tip worth mentioning is to remove the saree guard if there is no use for it. It reduces dead weight by 4-5 kg and would definitely improve the performance of the engine and increase fuel efficiency.
Deepak
Good points but...
show me one saree guard that weighs 5kgs!! It is made in the stone age or what? Come on man, max it will weigh 1.5 kgs.

The above mentioned points must be well known to 'bikers' who care about their bikes and read the bike manual.

For morning starts, kick start is recommended rather than self.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:19   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The most important: tire inflation.

Other thing that's important is riding style. Minimize braking. Change gear before peak HP, but somewhere after peak torque. Drive like a 50 year old uncle going to his office.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Deepak have you posted the original article too or you simply copy pasted it here?

Well for better oil circulation you should kick the bike 3-5 times with ignition off & clutch pressed this too helps in oil circulation before starting the bike & other tips are correct although removing Saree guard wont have much impact.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Deepak have you posted the original article too or you simply copy pasted it here?

Guys, it's his article
Sankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 22:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So is there any new rocket science in this?????

If I had wished for 50kmpl and crusing at 80 i would have been better of with 150CC's
whats the point of riding a Zma at 60 for 49kmpl.

Idling the engine and removing the saree guard wont give you any gains in KMPL figures-Period.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 3rd November 2008 at 22:03.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 10:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

@Sankar: I thought so but wanted to confirm.

Quote:
So is there any new rocket science in this?????
Not at all, probably he just wanted to share with all what he heard

& yes you are right I really dont understand why people buy ZMA when they want such high mileage figures.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Tip: To further improve the mileage of your bike you should try walking

PS: Its a joke. also isnt the above mentioned in the owner's manual. I remember the above tip or recommendation in my CBZ manual. Well it didnt say it increases mileage but more of a good practise.

PSS: And why only Karizma. Any bike(mostly 4 strokes) have a better engine life because of this.

Last edited by Spitfire : 4th November 2008 at 10:30.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 23:30   #10
BHPian

using break and throttle judiciously is the the most practical way to extract Mileage out of a bike, but if i buy a ZMA that will be the last thing on my mind.

sometimes when I run out of fuel and running on reserve for a long time, I use clutch and close the throttle (though this might not be healthy for the clutch plate) till she loses her momentum

KEEP the bike well maintained , regular service , clean filters , correct carb settings , correct Tyre pressure , etyadi

finally a killer trick - get her on main stand everyday after retuning home from office. ask some one to push her down from rear end. Then rotate the front wheel till you get tired ( swap position with the helper and repeat) . You will see the odometer moving up without you burning any fuel
_abhay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a wonderfull tip to increase your bikes mileage :
1) Do not buy a bullet (no offences meant to any bullet owner)

cheers,
AC

Last edited by ac 427 : 7th November 2008 at 15:11. Reason: typo error
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

cheers,
jay
I ride a 5 year old tb with around 70k kms.

In March I did a 900 kms round trip with a pillion.
Onward journey was completed in 9 hours. That is an average of 50 kmph. Includes breakfast and tea breaks. First long trip for my pillion, meant more breaks than I normally take.
Return journey was in rain. Some 300 kms was ridden in pouring rain. It took us more time because of these conditions.

MILAGE 40 KMPL

So next time think before you write about a bullets milage.
It has a certain role. It does that in a fabulous way.

Last edited by bblost : 7th November 2008 at 15:19.
bblost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I ride a 5 year old tb with around 70k kms.

In March I did a 900 kms round trip with a pillion.
Onward journey was completed in 9 hours. That is an average of 50 kmph. Includes breakfast and tea breaks. First long trip for my pillion, meant more breaks than I normally take.
Return journey was in rain. Some 300 kms was ridding in pouring rain. It took us more time because of these conditions.

MILAGE 40 KMPL

So next time think before you write about a bullets milage.
It has a certain role. It does that in a fabulous way.
Dear Mr. BBlost,

I am a existing owner of a Std Bullet 350. She is wonderfull, and i love her. She is 1984 Make.

This post was supposed to be taken in the right spirit.

I too have had long trips mumbai - bangalore, mumbai - Ahd. .. . .

And i too have got mileage of around 30 - 35.

This post was just a take on the bullet, it was not mean't to be taken against ones pride and honour. It was a gentle 'poke'

I apologize if i did so.

Mods: Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Cheers
AC
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 15:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

cheers,
AC
Care to explain What has increasinga bike's mileage got to do with buying or not buying a bullet?
Old 7th November 2008, 15:16   #15
BHPian

^jay, that is silly advice. Thats like me saying you are a fool (no offense meant). The fact that you have to mention "no offence mean" means that you will offend someone. Better to say nothing in that case.

On topic: I have gotten about 40 kmpl from my father's 20+ year old bullet 350. I now drive a pulsar 180 and I get about 40-42 kmpl from city riding. So I dont understand why I shouldnt get a Bullet. I mean a 2006 year model bike is still getting the same mileage as a 1981 year old bike. And the newer one doesnt also have the charm of the older.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote