Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd November 2008, 20:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sankar, Is it this dicey? My friends converted 500 runs absolutely fine without any issues. I have ridden her myself & she is smooth & its been over 4 years that the conversion was done.

I will ask him for details.
It's not impossible. It is possible and if you have a competent mech and and a excellent fabricator it is possible to create a reliable setup.

reddy6980, Buy bullet 500's crankcase halves, block, piston and head. With these parts you can create a reliable setup keeping everything else from your 350.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just my tuppence -

I thought about going down this route, realised the probems Sankar has outlined, so I bought a junk 500 engine and got it rebuilt. Got a 5 speed gearbox too, for good measure. Initially it had some reliability issues, but it came good later and I even rode it on track.

And someone was suggesting 5 speed gearboxes will make the bike faster(top speed) - not if the final drive ratio remains the same. There is not much to choose between a 4 speed and 5 speed in a straight line - on curves, inclines etc, yes the 5 speed lets you chose a more proper gear.

I went for the 5 speed box because it allowed me to go taller on the front sprocket, without compromising acceleration and maybe get a slightly higher top speed, if the bike was in the mood for it. However, I went back to 17 tooth front for the track and it remained ever since.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 03:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,

I own a 2005 bullet electra 5s 350cc.

This question is foe all bullet guru's can i replace the 350cc with the 500cc engine.
i.e i will be replacing only the head and piston all the remaining will be the same like gear box,tappets,tappet rods.

will the head be a direct fit or do i need some modifications.

Thanks
vamsi
The main thing is the crank case which needs to be modified and the crank case on your bike would not be able to handel the mode i have seen the crank cases of the pre 70 bikes they were ideal for the conversion we have already tried it on my bike but the crank of a 500 is not easy to fit in it and my bike its a 1977. get a crank case and then you know what to do.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 08:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
The main thing is the crank case which needs to be modified and the crank case on your bike would not be able to handel the mode i have seen the crank cases of the pre 70 bikes they were ideal for the conversion we have already tried it on my bike but the crank of a 500 is not easy to fit in it and my bike its a 1977. get a crank case and then you know what to do.
Still not a easy job and reliability will be an issue.
I have ridden such 500 and it was faster than a Stock CI-500 but the vibrations were enough for me to even stop thinking for this kind of conversion of my ride.
It turns out to be expensive also.
for same kind of money you can buy a Scrap 500 and build it after adding some dough.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 4th November 2008 at 08:13.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 11:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not impossible. It is possible and if you have a competent mech and and a excellent fabricator it is possible to create a reliable setup.
Probably thats the reason as his father is into Metal fabrication & it was him who did this

Quote:
he main thing is the crank case which needs to be modified and the crank case on your bike would not be able to handel the mode i have seen the crank cases of the pre 70 bikes they were ideal for the conversion
I am not sure of this as my friend's bike is 90s model standard 350.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 12:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Probably thats the reason as his father is into Metal fabrication & it was him who did this
OT:Thats what i called born in the right family

These days its difficult to get a honest job done at any fabricator or else the amount of mods that can be tried on the Bullet (both frame and engine) are endless.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote