Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th November 2008, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Default Bajaj Auto's New Game - XCD Sprint 150/Pulsar 200Fi/New P220

Most of us were waiting for the 'yet another XCD variant' - 'XCD Sprint' which was showcased at the auto expo earlier this year. Also, a Discover 150cc was expected. But, Bajaj seems to've a revamped gameplan after witnessing that the Apache RTR/RTR Fi is slowly but surely creating a space for itself as 'the performance bike'. Also, the launch of FZ16 must have set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bajaj is working on XCD 150 (Surprised?), upgrading the 200cc with an Fi and revamping the P220 to handle this heat.
Game On!!

Source: This and this.
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 11:26   #2
BHPian

*Source Speculating*

No real solid info from BAL themselves.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 11:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
*Source Speculating*

No real solid info from BAL themselves.

Yep! That's why I mentioned 'Surprised ?'.

But, something in the 150cc space is really due from Bajaj. It's been long since they made any activity with the Pulsar Twins (read as 150 and 180).
Old 7th November 2008, 11:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Yep! That's why I mentioned 'Surprised ?'.

But, something in the 150cc space is really due from Bajaj. It's been long since they made any activity with the Pulsar Twins (read as 150 and 180).
Its not surprising, actually all these moves are pretty expected.

And with regards to the 150 segement, I think BAL already displayed that they will have a Disco 150 at AE'08. I think XCD 150 too would make a good option for the price/mileage conscious customer.

And well Pulsar, I don't see much changes happening, except perhaps all the lineup getting a FI.

My Speculations...
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Its not surprising, actually all these moves are pretty expected.
The XCD 150 did/will really surprise me.

Quote:
And well Pulsar, I don't see much changes happening, except perhaps all the lineup getting a FI.

My Speculations...
Very Logical. Since, Bajaj has already made strong public statements that the 'Pulsar' will always stand for 'performance bikes', Fi on the entire range can be expected.
And, for the commuting community, where Unicorn, Achiever and may be the GS150R will battle, a Discover 150/XCD Sprint 150 may compete.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hope Bajaj do something good with Pulsar 150/180. I think p180 may be phased out, as there won't be much difference between p180FI (if any) and p200FI.

My guess is pulsar series will get the 4 valve engines. XCD in its current avtar is very puny. With 150CC, it will be a baby rocket! Wonder how a guy would look zooming at 100kmph on little XCD!
ani_meher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Discover 135 offers good performance that is close some sedate 150cc bikes. So now what Bajaj needs to do is raise the Pulsar 150's motor capacity to 160 or 165, atleast 95 bhp/ltr, so it would be 15.2 -15.6bhp to take on the new offering from TVS and Yamaha. And the 180 remains. Yes does not make sense, but then for those ready to have more than 150/160cc but less than 200 will strike for Pulsar 180.

Whatever, it has to be quick. The present generation has not seen any update the way they were earlier. And now we have more competetion.
What Bajaj need to add to entire Bajaj Pulsar range.
4 Valve per cylinder.
Oil cooler.
Rear disc brake.
Monoshock suspension.
60/65W Halogen headlamps.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 12:01   #8
BHPian

^ What they really need now is a 2 cylinder bike. 2 cylinders will make the engine a lot smoother and power delivery will be better.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 00:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
^ What they really need now is a 2 cylinder bike. 2 cylinders will make the engine a lot smoother and power delivery will be better.
Indeed . We either get Rs 1.2 million superbikes that very few can afford , or 50's origin 350/500cc classics or sub-250 simple powerplants with 2 valves and air cooling. The R-15 is a good step ahead but a mere 150cc means its not going to excite all that much.

Unfortunately the market for inline four 250s and 400s is extinct or the manufacturers killed the class . Given that even 600s have plenty of unusable power save for a few wide & well surfaced highways , domestically manufactured 2/3/4 cylinder bikes 250cc upto 500cc in reasonable state of tune would satisfy most enthusiasts urges and pockets .
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 10:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

It looks like instead of XCD Sprint that was to come with 125cc engine putting out approx 100 bhp/ltr will now be instead a 150cc machine with round about 14-16 bhp. I hope its 16bhp.
Source :
Bajaj XCD Sprint 150cc Bike in India | CarTradeIndia.com

Article:
Quote:
The new bike from Bajaj, XCD Sprint, was showcased earlier this year at the Delhi Auto Expo. The company is ready to launch the new 150cc bike in India to compete with other bikes like Apache RTR F1, Yamaha FZ16, and Suzuki GS 150R. The model showcased at the Delhi Auto Expo was a 125cc engine but now according the changed strategy from Bajaj, the new bike slated for the launch in the country will have a 150cc engine.

“It is determined to accelerate the growing popularity of 125cc+ motorcycles. Towards this purpose Bajaj will launch a new sport motorcycle in December, the third of four products off the XCD platform,” say sources from Bajaj.
The new 150cc engine will be the DTSi-engine delivering maximum power of 14-16bhp. The new XCD sprint sports aggressive looks and sporty features with its 4-valve 12.5 PS @ 9000 rpm engine.

Bajaj Auto Limited is one of India’s top manufacturers for two-wheelers and three-wheelers. It is one of the top 10 companies in India in terms of market capitalisation and among the top 5 in terms of turnover. The company is a market leader in India today with production capacity of more than 1.35 million units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
But what about the fuel efficiency ? IMHO, the present generation bikes upto 180cc or may be 200cc are good enough for our roads. What we need is better technology in them. 4 valve per cylinder, FI and even ABS ( TVS had showcased ABS in last to last auto expo ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Indeed . We either get Rs 1.2 million superbikes that very few can afford , or 50's origin 350/500cc classics or sub-250 simple powerplants with 2 valves and air cooling. The R-15 is a good step ahead but a mere 150cc means its not going to excite all that much.

Unfortunately the market for inline four 250s and 400s is extinct or the manufacturers killed the class . Given that even 600s have plenty of unusable power save for a few wide & well surfaced highways , domestically manufactured 2/3/4 cylinder bikes 250cc upto 500cc in reasonable state of tune would satisfy most enthusiasts urges and pockets .
I think a two cylinder 400cc cruiser on a chassis slightly larger than pulsar will be a good step. But beyond that, its insane amount of power that is meaningless for India and also given the disicipline or rather the lack of it, it can be dangerous also.
Old 9th November 2008, 10:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think a two cylinder 400cc cruiser on a chassis slightly larger than pulsar will be a good step. But beyond that, its insane amount of power that is meaningless for India and also given the disicipline or rather the lack of it, it can be dangerous also.
Eventually more powerful machinery home brewed and foreign are going to be released on to our roads. Eventually more problems would arise when many two wheeled rookies get their hands on to these high performance machinery who would be unable to control the power and would be unaware about physics and dynamics behind riding a two wheeler.

What we need to handle the situation is a restricted licence like they have in other countries. First time riders who fall within an age group and who have no experience should be given a restricted licence with a CC limit on the bikes they can ride. With rampant corruption it might be not as effective as in other places, but still it would be a good move.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 11:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What we need to handle the situation is a restricted licence like they have in other countries. First time riders who fall within an age group and who have no experience should be given a restricted licence with a CC limit on the bikes they can ride. With rampant corruption it might be not as effective as in other places, but still it would be a good move.
It will be not good, but a very good move and welcomed by disciplined road users irrespective of machine they have.
But what about effectiveness ? Here is where things will go ugly.
Most of the people will opt for easier way and things will be where they are right now. Pay a good amount and you have the restricted license. Then the mentality would creep in ( can predict this from the present scenario ) that I am holding " restricted license ".
But nevertheless, surely a very welcomed move. Atleast some will have the courage and learn, be good on the road, and may be slowly but steadily scene may improve. It a risk for sure, but worth taking.