Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd November 2008, 17:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

I am stuck with these parts purchased.after 25th only ,will be able to start the works.
Is there any need for new tappet guides? as I am going for new cam setup? also tell me how much it costs?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 14:48   #62
BHPian

Default Humming sound

After the 3rd service on my Electra 5S, I hear a humming sound from the engine that stays even on idle and compliments the engine.Sounds like from the timing side. The mechanic did open the timing cover and did adjust the cam gears etc to check the timing . Can the sound be caused by improper adjustment of the gears. The sound was there before the service but has become prominant after the service. It is heard more than the thumb when riding the bike. I cannot go back to the dealer before the weekend and also if i do they will not have enough time to look into the matter as they are really buzy on weekends so may be il go to another reliable guy.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 21:55   #63
BHPian

The mech has set the cam backlash in the timing cover wrong ,hence the gears are whinning. get it reset.
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 09:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have not yet given the bike due to different journeys etc.will keep updated.
Thanks
Old 1st December 2008, 10:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Just gave the bike to mechanic babu bhai .He asked for 2 days ,that is tomorrow evening.I will go evening to take some snaps ,if he has opened the engine. .will update.
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Post Completed ;)

All work done and I received my Bull back .
Adjustable cam spindle that I showed in the pic was not the one the mechanics preferred.they got adjustable cam spindle with some differences(dont know much but related to the screw end being square for the ones I bought and circular one is needed).They have it bought from madras and costs Rs250! .Then all other problems including small niggling ones fixed.

Now ,there is a weezing sound or a Humming sound from the new cam gears.the mechanic's said will have to ride slow(under 50kmph) for another 500kms(again!).although the sound goes when I ride it and on 4th gear .from 2nd gear ,the sound is audible.I hope it is OK to wait for the cam gear to mate inn properly(@sanker ,@kuttappan ???) .
Then ,engine is getting hot ,but no Oil leak from Head after polishing both sides.tappets are losen to prevent heating up by the mechanic.
Sadly ,I wasnt able to take pics when the works were done.

Last edited by deepclutch : 2nd December 2008 at 20:21.
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post

Now ,there is a weezing sound or a Humming sound from the new cam gears.the mechanic's said will have to ride slow(under 50kmph) for another 500kms(again!).although the sound goes when I ride it and on 4th gear .from 2nd gear ,the sound is audible.I hope it is OK to wait for the cam gear to mate inn properly(@sanker ,@kuttappan ???) .
This is the part I hate about mechanics. Instead of doing things right first up, they say - "500 kms chalake aao, sab theek ho jayega". Cams, when properly set, should not make any sound. Some mechanics just cannot get the cam gears to mate right.

Let's see what Sankar/motocamp says.

It is difficult to judge sitting here, but I have a feeling your cam gears are set tighter than required(assuming your humming sound is same as whining).
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:33   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
It is difficult to judge sitting here, but I have a feeling your cam gears are set tighter than required(assuming your humming sound is same as whining).
Yep, sounds like the cam gears have been set tight. They do it coz if properly set with correct tolerances then after some time the cams wil have to be reset. Setting it tight is the easy way out. This could contribute to over heating amongst other reasons.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:10   #69
Senior - BHPian

ofcourse.riding under 50kmph may help?
Old 8th December 2008, 08:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

^The camgear whining noise almost reduced to Nil after a ride of 150kms.

BTW ,
Another problem arised.Oil is leaking through head gasket area.now the bull is in workshop for "facing" and polishing both surfaces and new gaskets.Hope I will get the Bull today evening @sankar and @kuttappan :any inputs? should I ask him to put 2 gaskets for head ?(as in 1 copper gasket and another default gasket)
Old 8th December 2008, 13:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

OK sorry for too many frequent posts :( .
I got the bullet back today.What the mechanic Did was He gave the head and Cylinder to have the "faces" polished or cut in vey small level to have both "=" <- as plain as possible.now with a single gasket my Bullet is rocking!and NO oil leaks.also the cam gear whining noise is almost nil now.
Old 9th December 2008, 01:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
OK sorry for too many frequent posts :( .
I got the bullet back today.What the mechanic Did was He gave the head and Cylinder to have the "faces" polished or cut in vey small level to have both "=" <- as plain as possible.now with a single gasket my Bullet is rocking!and NO oil leaks.also the cam gear whining noise is almost nil now.
All is well that ends well. Looks like your mechanic knew what he was talking about regarding the cam whining, so humble pie for me.

Enjoy your Bullet.
Old 16th December 2008, 22:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

Wink Night shots with my N73ME

.Now you know I sucks in Photography
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-16122008305.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-16122008306.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-16122008307.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 16th December 2008 at 22:05.
Old 17th December 2008, 00:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Dude, this thread is about Enfield cam backlash and adjustable spindles. Do not make it your personal Bullet thread. Post the pics in the auto image thread.