Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th November 2008, 16:05   #1
BHPian

Default Resale value question

Hi folks,

I am about to pick up either a new 08 Karizma (sticker: 83k), new 08 P220 (sticker: 93k) or a new 08 Apache 160 FI (sticker: 78k). I have a BMW F650CS which isn't conducive for everyday city runabouts so this would be a second bike that doesn't attract attention. I will be getting rid of it in 10 months when I will be leaving India.

So, which of the 3 is better from a resale perspective. The Apache is my favorite but is ridiculously overpriced and has the worst resale. P220 would be the best overall package I guess but I am worried about reliability. The Karizma is either already stopped or is about to, with the FI model announced.

Given these circumstances, which is the one I would lose the least amount of money on in 10 months? I am not interested in buying used, I want the peace of mind of a new bike. My beemer demands plenty of attention in the garage as it is, I dont need that nuisance with a second bike.

Thanks for the opinions.
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 16:51   #2
BHPian

So you are saying that the Pulsar may not last 10 months of use?! I would go for the Karizma given your constraints. It has a more mature resale market than the other two, Apache as you pointed out may not fetch good resale since it is a smaller bike. Between Bajaj & Hero Hondas, the latter have traditionally enjoyed better resale.
u_chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Get a Activa or Dio instead of a bike. Good resale. Good city runabout.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Given these circumstances, which is the one I would lose the least amount of money on in 10 months? I am not interested in buying used, I want the peace of mind of a new bike. My beemer demands plenty of attention in the garage as it is, I dont need that nuisance with a second bike.
I hate to say it but for 10 months used would be the best choice. Just get any any bike which is atleast in half decent condition. It would run fine for 10 months if you run as it is with the niggling issues if any.

From the bikes you listed karizma has always enjoyed good resale. And probably 220 would also have good resale as its rare in second hand market.
prasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 19:45   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the opinions guys, appreciate it.

1. Any idea when the FI Karizma will be out? I couldn't care less for FI except I anticipate the resale of the carbed models to drop when it launches.
2. Any idea of what a 1 year old Karizma with ~3k kms goes for? No need to be precise, just trying to get a feel for depreciation.
3. I like the yellow, but I am told the Indian motorcycle buyer is sensitive to color and the outrageous colors tend to fetch a lower price. True?
4. Is there still a waiting period for the P220? I called the neighborhood Hero Honda dealer and they have 8 Karizmas on the floor ready to ship. Same with the Apache.
5. Is there a body kit available for the Karizma? I remember seeing one on the street sometime ago with a full fairing that actually looked good. I am assuming it is not a factory option, but a dealer option?

Thanks!
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 21:47   #6

Quote:

1. Any idea when the FI Karizma will be out? I couldn't care less for FI except I anticipate the resale of the carbed models to drop when it launches.
2. Any idea of what a 1 year old Karizma with ~3k kms goes for? No need to be precise, just trying to get a feel for depreciation.
3. I like the yellow, but I am told the Indian motorcycle buyer is sensitive to color and the outrageous colors tend to fetch a lower price. True?
4. Is there still a waiting period for the P220? I called the neighborhood Hero Honda dealer and they have 8 Karizmas on the floor ready to ship. Same with the Apache.
5. Is there a body kit available for the Karizma? I remember seeing one on the street sometime ago with a full fairing that actually looked good. I am assuming it is not a factory option, but a dealer option?

Thanks!
please answer these questions , i also have the same queries .. please anyone tell me when the new karizma FI is going to launch,,,,,,
TestMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 22:34   #7
BHPian

My vote goes for the Zma. It has the best resale value of the lot. The P220 is not known to be hassle free. 1. Dont bet on the FI Zma coming, its been an eternal wait and there has been nothing to substantiate the rumors. 2. about 65-70k rs. I know even older models with more mileage on them goin for 60k-65k. 3. Sure the Inidan market is color conscious. But rather than the resale value, its just that the number of takers will be less for a flashy color. But Zmas market base has lots of customers for the yellow color. 4. The P220 still seems to have a waiting period afaik. No ready stock in most showrooms .Zma, the black ones will be readily available. Also red color. Yellow, silver, blue will take time. 5. Lots of aftermarket body kits are available for the zma.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 20:12   #8
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to sell my ZMA (August 2004), done 30K kms...well maintained and in a very good condition. Any idea how much I should expect?
swarooppatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 21:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Karizma is either already stopped or is about to, with the FI model announced.
The FI announcement is a rumour & ZMA production isnt stopping anytime soon.

ZMA has the best resale amongst all the bikes that you have mentioned.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 22:53   #10
BHPian

Oops! Sorry, did not see the date before posting.

Last edited by the_trooper : 24th December 2008 at 22:56.
the_trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 23:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks!
1. It will be a long wait, and HH will launch the FI when you least expect it to.

2. 60-65K maybe. Someone posted about getting a used bike, IMO thats the most ideal option for you. Get a one year old Karizma for 60-65K odd and sell it for 5-10K lower when you leave the country. The Karizma is a reliable motorcycle, and I doubt there should be anything going wrong with it for a really long time. Another good thing is you will probably enjoy ripping a one year old engine more than a fresh one which you would have to break in and then leave by the time it reaches the peak performance phase

3. Red & Black would be safe options.

4. No clue.

5. Please avoid a kit, it will kill the resale of your bike and is harmful for the engine too.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 01:01   #12
BHPian

When I tried to sell my red P180 some time back, a guy told me that I would have gotten more for it had it been black. So yes, your information is true and a loud yellow color will fetch you lesser than a black. Unless you sell it to someone who knows better.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 03:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
When I tried to sell my red P180 some time back, a guy told me that I would have gotten more for it had it been black. So yes, your information is true and a loud yellow color will fetch you lesser than a black. Unless you sell it to someone who knows better.
yellow is the best selling colour for the zma
so it has no affect on its resale.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 09:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are going to use a bike for 10 months max, and want a new bike just for these 10 months - then IMHO you should not really be concerned about re-sale value.

It's a self-contradiction, really. For normal purchase cycle - buy new, use for a few years atleast, and then upgrade : the higher sticker price is justified, and is an investment for peace of mind, just like what you said. But for a short term ownership, when you know you will not use it beyond these few months, a new bike just does not make sense. It's just spending money, and someone else is going to be lucky because you would have paid for the depreciation.

There are bound to be bikes in good condition, being sold by people in situations similar to what you are in.

In your place : 10 months of usage : I would either go for a good used bike, or just continue with the BMW.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 17:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
yellow is the best selling colour for the zma
so it has no affect on its resale.
As it should be. Brighter colors are far safer on roads. Which is what I meant by "someone who knows better". The ZMA in most cases will be purchased by enthusiasts who will know this fact and not commuters. Try selling a second hand yellow Splendor to your next door neighbor uncle. Watch him avoid it like the plague and purchase a blue Victor instead.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote