Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th November 2008, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Talking The Bull owns me

Been toying with the idea of owning a Bullet for sometime now. Apart from test riding a T-Bird and an Electra 5S, my experience with bullets is zilch, but that was about to change.

So, one fine day, not too long ago, just out of the blue, I decide to ditch my now 2 year old 180, and go for a bull. Initially, just for the way it looks, it HAD to be the T-Bird for me. Then, after a few more days spent researching, it HAD to be the Machismo just for the sheer on road presence. Digged through a few more threads, blogs and trip logs, and suddenly, it can never be an AVL. It HAD to be a CI. Having read about the hassles of maintaining a STD 350, it HAD to be the Electra 4S for me!

Should have stopped there and bought one, which I obviously didn't, and started digging out more info on the CI. But the main issue with the CI was the average and the maintenance. The 4S was said to be good enough for ~32kmpl, which is fine with me. But, it had the gear on the wrong side. So now, it HAD to be the 5S for me. But RE's website had a completely different picture, lots of 5S owners had to live with 20-25 kmpl. Now, that, I cannot afford, there dies my CI dreams .

So now, started digging on the Mach! Read somewhere that I can get close to a CI's thump with a few additions and subtractions. So now, it HAD to be the Mach! It looked stunning, can get close to a CI's thump, a little maintenance free, very good FE, and its a BULL. I couldn't have asked for more, or wait, did I?

It was NOW, I meet this colleague of mine who rides a STD 350. After bugging him with tens of thousands of questions, I got a fair idea on what to expect from a bull in terms of maintenance, FE and various other things. He sees that I was a soon-to-become-bulleteer, and offers his STD 350 for a ride. Now, I wouldn't let this go, would I?

And here I am, in the saddle of this mighty beast, reaching out for the handlebar. It roared to life with a steady, deep thump after about 3-4 kicks. Pulled it out of the parking and was ready to slot the first. It was only NOW I got to know how the world looks from a bullet. Slot it into first and it dies. After a few attempts got it moving. and through 2 - 3 and 4. Now, we're talking. There was SO much torque and SO little confidence, it began to get really scary as I was not used to left side breaking. But kept going for a few kilometres and reached a point where my friend had to take a U-turn. So stopped by the side and handed over the bull to its owner. It was like learning to ride all over again. Had no probs with the T-Bird or the 5S, but this 350 had something in it that sets it apart from the other models. The thumping sound, the way you sit on the bike, the rocketing ego, the vibration thats transferred through to your body, the feel of the throttle under your palm, the huge tank, the classic speedo, and then the world ahead. It just makes riding complete for me.

And then there was the 12km ride back home in my 180. I've never hated my bike SO much...
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation ,if you are going to get a bull. Electra 4S is the real practical bike according to me.I also ditched the same P180 2 years old for this Electra.
Electra 5S simply isnt good for me.I really liked the RHS gearshift.
Mileage can be tuned to get a constant 40kmpl(which I had) .for a good engine, 30kmpl is the realistic mileage.CI engine is the thing.
Good Luck! AVL simply isnt worth acc. to me.even my friend had done a CI transplant from AVL in his machismo.so you can think how desperate.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 04:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats i See another adition to the British Classic lady lover.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2008 at 17:49. Reason: No need to quote the entire post if the original post is on same page
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 09:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Buy your bike and ride down to Ooty for Rider Mania 2009.
Contact the nearest Royal Enfield club for more details.

Your life is about to change.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Default 5s

I parked my 5 year old Pulsar 180 in my backyard and got a 5S in may this year. Did ladakh with a pillion in August. The bike rocks on performance. It gives me an average of 36-38 in the city and around 40 on the highway if I ride at 70-80. Done around 6K kilometers and loved every moment of it though I miss the acceleration of my P180 sometimes.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 17:42   #6
BHPian

@ deepclutch - Thats exactly what i have in mind, but not sure if i could live with the left side breaking. Thats what is stopping me now.

@bblost - looks like it SURE is gonna change. I'd sure love to make it to RM 09.

@bhogalrajnish - thats a very good average u getting bro. Your 5S exceeds my expectations by a good 6-8 kms. But the threads in RE's site scare me. Went through lot of threads where the owner claims 20-25. I know a true buleteer will not care about it, but i cannot afford that at the moment.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 17:58   #7
BHPian

hey don worry about the left braking fash!!! Couple of kms and you'll get into the rhythm.. serious !!
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
fash_1 : And then there was the 12km ride back home in my 180. I've never hated my bike SO much...
hmm, Fash, the Bull has got you with it's horns. Looks like it is going to be one nice long ride for you. Dont stop.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
@ deepclutch - Thats exactly what i have in mind, but not sure if i could live with the left side breaking. Thats what is stopping me now.
After a couple of weeks on the Bullet you will have to reminded that Japanese bikes have the brake on the other side. Seriously. This should be the least of your concerns.
Your bigger concerns should be fuel economy and the lack of other conveniences of modern bikes and lack of general dependability (this is more because of poor manufacturing practices at REM than any innate problem with the bike's design).
Also you will soon realise that this bike was designed for a period in history when gentlemen had lots of more time at their disposal than our generation would give yyou. This is evident in everything about the bike. Many like that. Lots don't. Think hard.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sudipto-S-Team : After a couple of weeks on the Bullet you will have to reminded that Japanese bikes have the brake on the other side. Seriously. This should be the least of your concerns.
@Fash, +1 to that. You are going to have one bike - the Bullet. I dont think you are going to be switching twice a day between the Bullet & another bike, that you will get confused. And I dont think you are thinking of anyone else who would be using the Bullet and get confused when he is using it.

Suggest you take that feature as something in the nature of the Bullet. Not something to be worried about.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Fash, +1 to that. You are going to have one bike - the Bullet. I dont think you are going to be switching twice a day between the Bullet & another bike, that you will get confused. And I dont think you are thinking of anyone else who would be using the Bullet and get confused when he is using it.

Suggest you take that feature as something in the nature of the Bullet. Not something to be worried about.

True to the fact. After riding Jappo Suzuki Samurai for 11 years, it took only two days to get adjusted to bullet. Now am so comfortable with right side gear and left side brakes, I fear I will mumble to drive other bikes, including bullets with left side gears.

FASH, go ahead and get your bull.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 00:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its Threads like this that make people make decisions.

I was standing strong by the side of AVL and of having the Brake pedal on the 'right' side.

Going by this I read, though CI has its share of dependability issues (which I can deal with) switching to Brakes on left should not be that much of hassle?

Can some of you also point out differences which the REF site would not point out between the
Electra 4S / Machismo / Electra 5S(slash Thunderbird)
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 00:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Electra 4S is the Bullet Std with some better parts and TCI ignition for convenience.
My 2005 Electra 4S got rear gas filled shocks and all.SO ,I hope the same with new bikes.
Electra 5S is the prodigal son with left side gear and rhs brake system.it is supposed to have more top speed(But ,I dont think so!).

Having rode both the bulls ,and as I am accustomed with RHS gearshift ,I am favouring Electra 4S.the Only change is the short bottle silencer.
today ,I mean yesterday ,I just ripped my Bullet for a short trip.Bull can go comfortably at speeds of 80-90kmph and I crossed 100kmph(speedo) many a times very easily(but not recommended!).

Cast Iron is more than Thump issue ,is a better option.Dont you guys know ,AVL engine model machismo are stopped production already? and the friend who did the expensive transplant of CI engine to machismo AVL? costed him Rs8000/- .But He is happy now.The reliability issue - you must check oil level to be correct.listen to any clattering noise from Cylinder.and lastly ,if possible go for a custom cut (phosphor?)bronze valveguides. latest Bullet models only 5S is available ,comes with adjustable cam spindles ,which means less cam gear noise.

--
Yesterday ,saw a new Bullet Standard 350cc(KL-17 Fxxxx) .it is a looker boy!.I dont know ,but the classic bull have its Thump there very much intact!(how?)
--
Normally ,people first consider Thunderbird - those who got some ideas will sure enquire about it and knows about its lack of thump and the messy AVL engine.like the guy whom I met ,who was desperate to sell his 2005 Thunderbird for a Cast Iron Std. model.anyways ,most of the guys who are thunderbird aspirants will end up with a electra 4s or bullet std.thats what I have seen(here).

So ,if you can get a Bullet Electra 4S ,grab it ASAP!.good luck .OR a new Bullet Standard and convert it(if you want) from platinum point to TCI one which will cost you not that much.these are your options.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 17:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
So ,if you can get a Bullet Electra 4S ,grab it ASAP!.good luck .OR a new Bullet Standard and convert it(if you want) from platinum point to TCI one which will cost you not that much.these are your options.
I am sorry but am a total RE novice. How does it relate to the actual starting of the bike?
(Pumping the lever and checking the amp meter before the final kickstart?)
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 18:53   #15
BHPian

Fash 1 - you are simply worrying to much
Except for the Mach 500 all others will give you a 30+ mileage
But off course you have to take care of your bull for the 30+ FE. It all depends on how rough you use it and how how well you maintain it. And believe me if do all your regular checks the bull will not disappoint you on your maintenance pocket.

If you plan for the Mach go for the 500 no use going for the Mach 350.
But be ready for the 20 to 25 FE.

Goodluck
FE - 350 and 4S = 30 to 35, 5S = 35 to 38 [add a few to all for the highway]
TB old and TB twin spark 35 to 40 city and 40 to 45 highway.

The new TB twin spark will give you better power and mileage but the report card is not yet out as it was launched only this year.

If you can live with a little engine noise and low thump [thump can be raised with a silencer change approx cost 800] The AVL gives you better performance and mileage.
The CI heats up slower and also takes time to cool down whereas the AVL heats up faster and also cools down faster. TB will give you better riding comfort on the highway but the old one has a clutch which breaks frequently so always carry a spare one.

Now for the right and left combination; dont worry at all, After a few days t wont matter at all. It is just a myth, just like the old myth on the cricket pitch to have a right and left hand batting combination.
avi.k is offline   Reply With Quote