Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th November 2008, 18:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Right wrist pain/numbness while biking. Any idea why ?

I have a '95 HH-CD100 that I use quite regularly alongside my car. Though 13 years old, it still runs without any issues, with just regular oil changes and a service every year or so.

Due to some reasons, I have had to use the bike to commute to work (20kms one-way) for the past few months and it is when I noticed this strange problem. Around half-way into my commute, my right hand wrist and fingers seem to pain and feel numb. When this happens, I take my right hand off the handlebar and fold/flex the fingers, which makes it OK for the next few kms, after which the same numbness re-appears.

The left wrist/fingers have no such issue - maybe because while biking we use the right hand more - accelerate, braking etc.

Anyone else has had the same problem ? And any idea why this happens and what is the solution ? One reason I see is the handlebar alignment being wrong or handlebar being bent - the bike had a serious accident many years ago.

Would appreciate inputs from bikers on the forum. Thanks.

P.S.: A search did not yield any relevant threads. Hence a new thread.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you at anytime had a fall such that the right hand /wrist has taken the impact ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

"Kamzori my friend" (Weakness) aapko chahyea "Vaidanath Chawanprash" the same i also feel if i ride my bike too much in traffic.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

It's the age friend, nothing else.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:26   #5
BANNED

Other than a badly aligned handlebar, I would also ask you to look at your other activities - posture at desk, workplace ergonomics esp. w.r.t mouse if you use a computer full time. If you also sometimes have a dull ache on the right side - between the neck and shoulder, blame bad desktop ergonomics.

The bigger picture is of course one's fitness levels and tolerance which comes down with age.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Have you at anytime had a fall such that the right hand /wrist has taken the impact ?
I did have a serious fall in '97 and yes my hands did take the impact. But IIRC I had a sprain in the left hand which was in a sling for few days. Ofcourse the accident happened too fast and it is possible that I fell on my right hand/wrist and then rolled over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker
It's the age friend, nothing else.
But would not the left wrist also age along with the right one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Other than a badly aligned handlebar, I would also ask you to look at your other activities - posture at desk, workplace ergonomics esp. w.r.t mouse if you use a computer full time.
I do use a laptop (with a USB mouse) for around 9-10 hours daily. And I am sure my desktop ergonomics is not exactly correct.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Please check and ensure that its nothing serious.

Carpal tunnel syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Hi Supremobaleno,

This happen more when you have not driven bike for long and have left munching miles on the bike. As far as the fall is concerned, that happened in 1997 which is too far behind, and if after the fall too you were driving a bike and still no pain then, that means that is not a culprit.

So that leaves us to the fitness levels. Have you tried excersing your wrist. Another suggestion that I would have is try wearing a wrist band while driving and see if you are expericing the same pain in your hand.

You left hand on a bike does not work as much as your right hand and hence there seems no pain in it. Suggestion - GYM and workout.

Regards,
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:09   #9
BHPian

Try replacing the accelerator cable. Over a course of time the accelerator cable gathers rust inside due to rain/dust and other foreign particles. As we keep riding the bike frequently we fail to notice/feel the ruggedness and we assume that its smooth as ever before.

Just replace the cable and don't bother oiling it. The rust gets build inside the cable and is quiet difficult to remove. Replacement is the only option.

Last edited by jango : 19th November 2008 at 19:11.
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I too have wrist pain occasionally using Kinetic Flyte. This is in the right wrist only, which is used to accelerate.
I think its a combination of weakness + using keyboard for long hours.
Some light exercises which you may consult with your doctor can help.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th November 2008 at 19:56.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

i am guessing it's work related injury (carpel tunnel) which will need a diagnosis and precations/treatment anyway, but i would suggest getting soft handlebar covers and reducing brake/accelerator cable tension.

also see if you are sitting hunched with lots of pressure on hands. try to reduce the strain on the hand as far as possible.

and check if there is any vibration on the handlebar compared to a new bike.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

SB, it's due to combination of various factors. Having to use a keyboard and mouse is a major factor. From your post i assume that you were not biking for many years save for the last few months, that is also a contributing factor.

Many of us have badly set up chair-desk-computer positioning, that needs to be changed. Make your work posture the best as you can, typing on a laptop is worse than having to use a keyboard since the wrist and forearms would be at an odd angle. Having correct chair-desk-keyboard-monitor positioning would save you a lot of pain.

Try to excercise your wrist and forearm. Biking requires strength in wrist-forearm and shoulders.

Is your bike's handlebar set correctly? Set it in such a way that you don't have to lean forward to grab the bar. Your hands shouldn't be straight, there should be little bit of slack at your elbows when you hold the handle straight.

Also check the wheel alignment and handle bar-to-wheel alignment. Bike shouldn't pull to either left or right, it should track straight even if you leave the handlebars, otherwise it could exert force on your hands.

Hope this helps.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 21:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for your response - has been quite helpful in looking at the problem from angles I never even thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj
This happen more when you have not driven bike for long and have left munching miles on the bike.
No, I never stopped biking - I have all along been using the bike as much as I use the car. Just that only recently the commute distance increased by around 14kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Try replacing the accelerator cable. As we keep riding the bike frequently we fail to notice/feel the ruggedness and we assume that its smooth as ever before.
This is one thing I could try - dont remember the last time I changed the accelerator cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
i would suggest getting soft handlebar covers
I did think of this, though not sure how much it would help.

Quote:
also see if you are sitting hunched with lots of pressure on hands.
No. I dont put excessive pressure on hands.

Quote:
and check if there is any vibration on the handlebar compared to a new bike.
Well, its an old bike + had a major accident, so I guess the vibrations would be more. But I used to notice that many years ago when I did hi-speeds. With age, speed has come down drastically with even girls overtaking me left, right and centre - so dont notice much vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
From your post i assume that you were not biking for many years save for the last few months
Maybe my initial post was a bit confusing, but I never stopped biking. Only commute distance increased.

Quote:
Is your bike's handlebar set correctly? Set it in such a way that you don't have to lean forward to grab the bar. Your hands shouldn't be straight, there should be little bit of slack at your elbows when you hold the handle straight.
This I will check out.

Quote:
Also check the wheel alignment and handle bar-to-wheel alignment. Bike shouldn't pull to either left or right, it should track straight even if you leave the handlebars, otherwise it could exert force on your hands.
When hands are off the bars, the bike does go straight. Though the wheel alignment & bar-to-wheel alignment could still be wrong. How and where can we get this checked ? A tyre shop or bike mechanic ?

One more piece of info I missed in my first post. In the accident (in '96) I mentioned earlier, the fork took quite a hit, but insurance would allow only a refurbishment (no replacement) and I have been using the same fork ever since. Could this have anything to do with my problem ?
Old 19th November 2008, 22:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

The most reliable remdy for carpal tunnel syndrome is complete rest of the joint for a few days. If simple rest improves things then you should know it indeed is carpal tunnel and give further rest to the joint. In severe cases you might need to give it rest for a few months.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 22:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you have numbness, it is probably the onset of CTS. Please have it checked.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote