Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th December 2008, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Very nice! Is the Pre-2000 exhaust a black finish or chrome? Does it not have a cat at all? Which means, it should probably be more free flowing and light I would assume.

When I changed the stock exhaust on my beemer to a supertrapp, the stock one weighed 19 lbs!!! The cat adds a lot of weight and I would be glad to get rid of it.
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

well yes its a bit lighter but as the indian exhausts are heavy,you won't have much of a difference.

the exhaust doesn't have a CAT at all.its matt black finish.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

See if there's a difference in the ID of the CBZ exhaust. If it's smaller it'll hurt performance but might improve low end torque. You willl not be able to make out the difference by measuring it externally, because it's a concentric pipe and the outer circumference is the same for CBZ and Karizma exhaust.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 21:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well the inner dia of the pipe is the same as the exhaust port dia in the kari.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 11:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well the inner dia of the pipe is the same as the exhaust port dia in the kari.
More often than not, the header pipe will be of the same diameter. I think what Sankar meant was whether the inside cannister is of the same diameter, which may or may not be proportional to the header pipe diameter.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently I came to know that the exhaust of P200 & P220 are different from the mouth opening.

So I wonder how come Honda has kept similar port size for three different engines
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 14:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Recently I came to know that the exhaust of P200 & P220 are different from the mouth opening.

So I wonder how come Honda has kept similar port size for three different engines
Yep it's highly doubtful Techno. I very much doubt if the CBZ and the Karizma have similar ID for their exhaust pipes. The opening might be similar but the pipe ID might change as it goes down from the opening.

Even the Shine pipe has a not too small ID, compared to the CBZ and Karizma, at the place where it bolts tot he head.
Old 20th December 2008, 17:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Not uncommon. In the US, when you buy aftermarket exhausts for bikes, they ask you what your header size is. It is typically .75 or 1 or 1.5 inches in diameter for a wide range of bikes. I wouldn't put money on it, but its logical to assume manufacturers do it to ensure aftermarket support and to simplify manufacturing (you can fab the same header pipe for all sorts of bikes). Then again, Indian bikes seem to have a one piece exhaust so this theory may not be any good.

Can anyone else confirm this has been done without any ill-effects (CBZ exhaust on Karizma)?
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

But we are not talking about bikes which have officially available after market exhausts.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Last year even i changed the disk of my CBZ and this time i paid just 12xx compared to last times 5xxx as that time it was Nissin Japan made and now its made by Tata.
Give a try to old CBZ's pipe as seen couple of Karizmas having that, not sure whether its direct fit of need some mods.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 21:17   #26
BHPian

Folks, glad to report that I got the problem fixed for only Rs. 369. I went to a Castrol bike zone and they said it was a very common problem on Pulsars. Removed the exhaust, removed the outer and inner plates, took it to a welder, cut a small hole, welded the cat mounts inside and sealed it back up. Put the plates back on and its good as new. Mileage has gone up like crazy also.

This is India, never trust a tech that says something cannot be fixed.
Old 6th January 2009, 22:04   #27
BHPian

@sankar - The ID of the exhaust primary pipe of the old CBZ and the karizma is the same. They both have the same cylinder head pretty much. Valve sizes are ditto. HH is not like TVS/Bajaj to change pipe dia even with a small tweek.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 22:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
@sankar - The ID of the exhaust primary pipe of the old CBZ and the karizma is the same. They both have the same cylinder head pretty much. Valve sizes are ditto. HH is not like TVS/Bajaj to change pipe dia even with a small tweek.
Not just with HH i guess. Now i understand why some websites carry the same header pipe for both CRF230 and CRF150. Some guys even sell the same hot cams for both the CRF230 and 150. Much debated at some forums. Any idea how it works?

Joel, how would a Karizma with CBZ exhaust perform?
Old 7th January 2009, 16:48   #29
BHPian

A Karizma with the pre-2000 non-CAT CBZ exhaust will perform better. WIth the later CBZ exhaust, it will under-perform. As in, you 'll loose the top-end coz the tail pipe dia is smaller than a karizma.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 17:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that info Joel!