Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 10:15   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

Spitfire, have you attended any RM in the past 5 years?

Because if you have not attended it, it will be a little difficult to explain.
RM is an event that clubs host for other clubs.
We work on shoestring budgets. Put our own money as initial investment. Find locations, arrange food everything.
Its a nightmare finding a place that serves good food and has parking for atleast 500 bikes.

Then RE comes and decides to take over.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:32   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Spitfire, have you attended any RM in the past 5 years?
No i haven't. But i was there for the Goa one that started it. I also know why RE didn't join then. And i now know why RE is getting into it.

As much as a i love RE (sarcasm, for the uninitiated), I believe they can handle it better. Why? Because i know why RE stayed out in the first place.

Quote:
Because if you have not attended it, it will be a little difficult to explain.
I know why. I am not sure why keep RE out.

Quote:
RM is an event that clubs host for other clubs.
Clubs? Ok.

Quote:
We work on shoestring budgets. Put our own money as initial investment. Find locations, arrange food everything.Its a nightmare finding a place that serves good food and has parking for atleast 500 bikes.
Add to that the issue of who takes it up next. And over the 5 years its not been happy sailing either.

The more i respect the clubs working together. The more i see the divides. Not helping is it?

Quote:
Then RE comes and decides to take over.
I don't think they want to take over.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:13   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I don't think they want to take over.
They have always been in the shadows at past RM's, but trying to catch fish without getting their hands wet(Mallus would understand). The organizing would be someone else's pain, riders would ride at their expense. RE would then give everyone a Tshirt, host a dinner and then make it their event. It is always played out in the media as if it was an RE event. RE gets maximum commercial mileage out of the event, at a pittance.

They always wanted total control, but knew that it would not be successful without the clubs. This year, the host club(RTMC from Bangalore) refused to play ball with RE and so they did not participate. However, they feel that they now have a critical mass to go ahead with their own event, even without the clubs.

Let's see how this plays out.

Biking clubs, like any other fraternity will have their differences and fights. Show me a single place in the world where humans live in total harmony.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 21:03   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Aah, this is the kind of discussion I wanted on the thread I started for this purpose - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...r-mania-x.html

Spitfire - you say RE is hosting RM this time around since it has a product to showcase? Or some other reason? And why did RE stay out the first time around? I'm not sure I understand.

I am relatively new to the Bullet Club world but though a lot of us ride RE's, we don't have too much respect for the company that is RE. And I was a relative newcomer to RTMC when they planned for the RM without any help from RE. But I do know that RTMC had a stand-off with RE and told them that they would go ahead with the event without any help from RE. We did not want it to be an event sponsored by RE.

I believe that since this stand-off, RE has realised that it will not "patch" up with the clubs and go ahead using the RM name to host this event. And already, we have invites going out on FB for the RM-X - to be hosted by Inddiethumpers!

But I am not so sure about this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
However, they feel that they now have a critical mass to go ahead with their own event, even without the clubs.
But I think that there are so many people out there who ride RE's and are not part of clubs. So the RE RM even will be a sucess but....

Maybe I have answered my own doubts but lets see.
For my part, I wouldn't really mind going for RE RM but its on weekdays, so thats out!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 21:42   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Disclaimer: Firstly, I am in no way associated with RE. Second, I don't own a RE product presently. And finally I have had my share of run-ins with them and the love/hate relation is mutual. Its been som years now and lot of things are bygones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
They have always been in the shadows at past RM's,
RM was never their idea. Clubs invited the RE "people" not RE. AFAIK they were asked to lead this, but they didn't. I think we all possibly know why.

Quote:
then make it their event.
Rider Mania is about Bullets (only) and RE is their sole manufacturer. Its obvious they will try to make something out of it. And they should and they have been, without stepping on anybody's feet.

Quote:
It is always played out in the media as if it was an RE event.
Is RM about media, hype, coverage, publicity? Why bother what xyz gets out of it? And really even if they want to, no club can push RM the way RE can.

Quote:
RE gets maximum commercial mileage out of the event, at a pittance.
So?

Quote:
They always wanted total control.
I doubt that. They can't, even if they wanted to.

Quote:
This year, the host club(RTMC from Bangalore) refused to play ball with RE and so they did not participate.
And its a good thing? I don't think so.

Was it required? Or was there a worry they will take over?

You let them in and then show them the door they will obviously do this->

Quote:
However, they feel that they now have a critical mass to go ahead with their own event, even without the clubs.
Quote:
Let's see how this plays out.
Yeah lets wait and watch.

Quote:
Biking clubs, like any other fraternity will have their differences and fights. Show me a single place in the world where humans live in total harmony.
We are missing the point about RM being there in the first place no? We start having fights amongst the members of TBHP and we accept it as nothings ideal? We don't.

What about the brotherhood that RM stands for?

And seriously the fights and differences are clearly not biking related they are nothing but ego clashes.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the brotherhood is bigger then the club size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Or some other reason?
Reason:

Quote:
This year, the host club(RTMC from Bangalore) refused to play ball with RE and so they did not participate.

Quote:
And why did RE stay out the first time around?
They didn't they weren't just interested and did not bother. They thought it would never work.

Quote:
But I do know that RTMC had a stand-off with RE and told them that they would go ahead with the event without any help from RE.
No club ever took help from RE but they were invited. Then what changed last year?

Quote:
We did not want it to be an event sponsored by RE.
They wanted to sponsor it? I am not sure of that. I think they wanted a presence.

Quote:
I believe that since this stand-off, RE has realised that it will not "patch" up with the clubs and go ahead using the RM name to host this event.
There is a saying in Hindi: Talli ek haath se nahi bachti (you can't clap with one hand).

Hope the above doesn't get anyone too agitated. Please there is no offence meant to anyone and its just my thoughts with a little bit of know how about the history. If anyone wants me to stop replying please send me a pm.

Oye bblost, no deleting my posts.

Last edited by Spitfire : 7th October 2009 at 21:49.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Hmmm

Hehe, firstly - Spitfire, you are good at multi-quoting!

But yes, not an event sponsored by RE but more of a "presence" like you said. But lets see how things pan out...
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 12:56   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hehe, firstly - Spitfire, you are good at multi-quoting!
Blame the MODS for that. I have been hauled up before now i am a pro

I am going to be in Goa during the RM X days. Will snoop around incognito Too many Bulleters baying for my blood.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 13:10   #53
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Blame the MODS for that. I have been hauled up before now i am a pro

I am going to be in Goa during the RM X days. Will snoop around incognito Too many Bulleters baying for my blood.
So is RE hosting Rm 10 in 2009.


Wish they can work ahead of schedule for their bikes as well.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 13:16   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
So is RE hosting Rm 10 in 2009.
Promise me you won't give me any infractions and i will give you all the dope.

I am going to be in Goa not for RM though. He he.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:18   #55
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default M&M and REI

Now M&M technology to help REI make "tractor" like Bullets

CNBC-TV18 - M&M's 'Royal' deal: Bullet to use Mahindra's technology

-BJ

PS: sorry if it sounds OT. Just posted since many bullet lovers are here.

Last edited by bj96 : 8th October 2009 at 14:21. Reason: ps
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 07:07   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Disclaimer: Firstly, I am in no way associated with RE. Second, I don't own a RE product presently. And finally I have had my share of run-ins with them and the love/hate relation is mutual. Its been som years now and lot of things are bygones.
Seems like you think the version you heard is the truth. If you think RE had nothing at all to do with the first version you are wrong. I repeat, you need to look at the shadows to see RE.

Personally, I don't have any problem with RE owning rider mania. But there was always this question of who owned it and probably that made them unwilling to go the whole hog and pickup the tab for the event. They wanted to be in full control, which the clubs wouldn't let. Now they are making an attempt to take things into their own hands. After all, they need RM more than anyone. RE sells bikes more on hype than anything else (Much like Hardly Ableson, please don't flame me for this. I am a Bulleteer myself - but I believe RE's success is because of the lack of an alternative.)

Good luck to them.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 08:49   #57
BHPian
 
bmw_m5_titus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kottayam
Posts: 178
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Seems like you think the version you heard is the truth. If you think RE had nothing at all to do with the first version you are wrong. I repeat, you need to look at the shadows to see RE.

Personally, I don't have any problem with RE owning rider mania. But there was always this question of who owned it and probably that made them unwilling to go the whole hog and pickup the tab for the event. They wanted to be in full control, which the clubs wouldn't let. Now they are making an attempt to take things into their own hands. After all, they need RM more than anyone. RE sells bikes more on hype than anything else (Much like Hardly Ableson, please don't flame me for this. I am a Bulleteer myself - but I believe RE's success is because of the lack of an alternative.)

Good luck to them.
Kuttapan, Couldnt have put it better!
Not yet a bulleteer, but I am someone who loves Bullets for one thing, one motorcycle in India without 'Daridryam' (Malayalam for Poverty). The new age bikes are rich only in plastic cowls and acronyms!
But back to the topic, I would say its only natural that the clubs who have taken pains to keep RM rolling over these years, though its not all been smooth, would feel irked about RE just coming in and singlehandedly taking charge of the event. The atmosphere at RM is one to be experienced and regardless of who conducts it, I think that s what I would care about!
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 10:41   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Seems like you think the version you heard is the truth.
Lets just say this is not a version i "heard".

About the truth, whose blessings or what are the conditions that are required to call a particular version the "truth"?

If "you" think its hogwash so be it.

Quote:
If you think RE had nothing at all to do with the first version you are wrong. I repeat, you need to look at the shadows to see RE.
Look at my earlier reply:

Quote:
Clubs invited the RE "people" not "RE".
They were there, not sponsoring or promoting it. When did i say they weren't.

Quote:
Personally, I don't have any problem with RE owning rider mania.
They don't need to "own" it. They can run it.

Since you gave example of HD, they can do it on similar lines.

Quote:
But there was always this question of who owned it and probably that made them unwilling to go the whole hog and pickup the tab for the event.
If all were together there wouldn't have been any doubt.

Quote:
They wanted to be in full control, which the clubs wouldn't let.
I don't think they ever wanted it under their control. But they did want to play a bigger part in hosting it rather then being another guest.

Quote:
Now they are making an attempt to take things into their own hands.
They were asked to stay out of RM altogether because of the fear (i can't think of the right word) that RE will take over RM. So they came up with their own version from this year.

Quote:
After all, they need RM more than anyone.
It "showcases" and is meant only for their products they surely will be interested even more so because now its a hit.

Ideally if the clubs can sort out the differences, the event should be one hosted, planned and executed by the clubs with the blessings of RE. Everyone's happy. But i guess that won't happen and will require a huge amount of maturity from all involved.

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th October 2009 at 10:43.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 11:04   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
But i guess that won't happen and will require a huge amount of maturity from all involved.


Even the voices in my head don't talk politely to each other.
Try getting the so many voices in a room and try to make anything except noise.

Frankly I don't really care about the RM.

I dont attend RM for the rock music show that is part of it.
I dont attend RM because the food is good.
I don't attend RM because I like to see new bike styles and design.
I dont attend RM because I like to get away from it all.
I don't attend RM because I meet new people and make new friends.

I ATTEND RM BECAUSE ITS AN EXCUSE TO RIDE.
I meet friends among whom the above does not sound absurd.

The RE hosted RM will not have most of my friends in it.
It will always be held in Goa.
I don't want to ride in the same direction every year.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 11:15   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Frankly I don't really care about the RM.

I dont attend RM for the rock music show that is part of it.
I dont attend RM because the food is good.
I don't attend RM because I like to see new bike styles and design.
I dont attend RM because I like to get away from it all.
I don't attend RM because I meet new people and make new friends.
Next time you come for the RM. You are the official watchman for all the bikes in the parking lot. While the rest of us party.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider Mania 2009: 23ONE bblost Travelogues 24 22nd October 2010 14:44
Royal Enfield Rider Mania 2009: Registration opens mileeater Motorbikes 0 30th October 2009 13:26
Rider Mania 2009 - Inviting all Royal Enfield owners throttleking The Team-BHP Meet Section 2 8th December 2008 12:35
T-bhpians for RTMC 6th Anniversary trip to Coorg!! Ketan Motorbikes 4 27th September 2007 11:20
rider mania sanket12 Motorbikes 7 2nd January 2005 21:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks