Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th April 2005, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Default Gas Shocks In Classic Pulsar 180

hi guys, i'm planning to put gas shox on my classic pulsar.Is it worth putting in a classic pulsar??. when i asked the bajaj guys about it,the supervisor over there told me to change the chain and chain sprocket to get the full effect of the shocks..I dint really understand what he said.. Any one know why we need to change the sprocket??will this gas shocks improve the ride quality.?.i've no idea about it!!..Only thing i know is pulsar dtsi v2 boast about this shocks.Hope i'll get a satisfactory answer..
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 15:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Change the chain/sprocket to get the full effect of the shocks? That's a first for me!

Maybe what he means is to change your swingarm to the longer DTSi swingarm which makes the bike more stable and gives it a far better ride quality, which would best be appreciated with the nitro shocks. You would then also have to get a new chain for the extended swingarm.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 17:21   #3
BHPian

ya rite rtech, may be he meant like that...if am changing the chain, dtsi's chain will do know??
Old 15th April 2005, 03:29   #4
BHPian

what the sup means is that the classic pulsar's swing is shorter by almost 50mm.so that measn that the longer shox of the new dtsi will make the ride height more and hence more centre of gravity...there fore its not advisable to do so.instead try the shox of the electra or change the shox mounts on the classic swing!thats a better option!
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2005, 05:01   #5
BHPian

change the shox mount positon from the existing place to little more backwards.otherwise i think u can stick to the same stock shox instead of going for the gas shox!
there is another option..u can go for the 17" wheels of the new pulsy and change the shox..so the height will be compensated!
Old 18th April 2005, 10:14   #6
BHPian

thanx firoid for the advice, by the by what bike u have??
Old 18th April 2005, 23:03   #7
BHPian

my name says it all! which bike i own?check my avatar!
btw it dosent matter what bike i own now coz i have owned several in the past.....and tried and tested all the indian bikes!
i now own a ..........,shaolin and a activa.
guess which is the bike in dots?
Old 18th April 2005, 23:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

TVS Suzuki Fiero in the dots
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 00:09   #9
BHPian

u got it right buddy!
Old 10th October 2006, 20:37   #10
BHPian

Hi kphilip,
I have a pulsar 180 classic.
Around 6 months ago, the original shocks had become too soft and I felt the need to change them.
Like you, I wanted the new gas filled ones, thinking they would give a firmer ride.
The castrol bike zone guy I used at that time said "no problem whatsoever" (beware of these words in most walks of life).
After I got the bike back the ride was good, though the rear of the bike was raised maybe an inch or so (because of the longer design length of the new pulsar shocks).
The problem started a few days later, the dia of the shocks at the bottom is slightly more than the original type, so when the shocks get compressed while riding it bulges further and presses into the chain guard, creating a dent on the top side of the chain guard. When you hit bumps etc while riding hard, especially with a pillion up, you can even hear the spring touching/pushing into the chain guard.
Anyway, I was not happy with this whole scene, so changed back to the originals.
Though the Bajaj service guys will tell you that fitment of gas shocks can be done with spacer bushes, on the classic.
Keep us posted whatever you do.
Cheers.
Vicki_Rau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 20:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Gas Shocks In Classic Pulsar 180

I dont know whether this is correct section for posting my query.
Mods Please move to correct section.

My brother-in-law owns a Pulsar 180 DTSi UG-3. The Setting on the Gas Shock Absorbers is at the Hardest Point.i.e. the Stiffness is at Maximum. But still he complains that even when he rides alone, the Shocks get fully depressed and the Spring Coils touch each other when going over Pot holed roads.

The guy at Bajaj Service Center told him to replace the Shocks with new ones.

Should the Shocks be replaced with new ones or refilling the Gas in the Shocks will do?

If Refilling Gas will do, where in Pune can he get the Gas refilled?

Thanks in advance.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Gas Shocks In Classic Pulsar 180

@indigo: Even though the shocks are set to the stiffest they will still get bottom out when riding over potholed roads. If they do the same on normal (good) roads then i would recommend changing them. A new set costs something around 1300 Bux. Earlier Bajaj service centers used to refill the shocks, dont know whether they do it anymore, do check with them before going in for new ones. Normally the shocks should last at least 30K kms.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote