Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th August 2009, 11:34   #256
Senior - BHPian

Just for info - do the TBTS and Mach 500 come without electric start?
Is there any such option available?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:35   #257
BHPian

only the std 350 comes w/o disc and ES. Electra , TBTS , Machismo all has ES and Disc as std. fitment. There are no other options.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 14:10   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
ES works fine in the 350's its the 500 avls that it gives problems.
God knows who designed it prolly RE themselves, the es motor on non export models is some wellwin brand. But most es failure is not motor failing but its the sprag.
Sankar,

I have a Jan'09 LB500 and it has the nippon denso ES. The Wellwin is a Pune based brand which usually gives up after a while. Main reason:It really struggles to turn over the 500cc mill. So RE chaps told me that were going back to the Nippon Denso kits that were standard issue on the export LB500s.

The main point of failure is not the ES. It is the Sprag which gives way, mainly due to backfire. Why doesn't the same happen in the 350s. Smaller engine, so smaller force exerted on the sprag even in the case of a backfire. This was the explanation given to me by a few Enfielders at RE USA.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 18:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

^ But can't we remove the ES if it gives so much problem?
kick works well always - and 500cc motor is not such a big one that can't be kicked (into submission)
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 18:58   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
^ But can't we remove the ES if it gives so much problem?
kick works well always - and 500cc motor is not such a big one that can't be kicked (into submission)
Read post number 246.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 16th August 2009, 15:37   #261
BHPian

H Guys,

Just a question on choosing a RE. I dont mind any of the RE models except for the Thunderbird. I'm planning to buy maybe a 2000-2002 model of one of the following RE's- Standard 350, Electra 4s 350 or Machismo 350. Few mechanics i spoke to told me not to go for the Machismo 350 as it gives more problems. Is that true? What would you all suggest?

I ride 45-50 kms a day
Maybe a 200km to 400km once a month
The RE with the best seating position would be ideal
Mileage of 30kmpl would be great. More would be excellent ( I'm pretty sure all the above RE's atleast give 30)
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 19:21   #262
BHPian

Default The mechanic

My mechanic told me the same thing. But from all the reviews I have read.
The Machismo 350 is the most reliable among the RE's.

The mech will never tell you the truth, he will always want you to get a machine where you will have to visit him several times.

All I can say is read a lotta reviews talk to people who own the vehicle and leave the mechanic out of it.
Reserve your friendship with the mech for after you buy the bike.
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 17:04   #263
BHPian

Default Need an opinion on this bike up for sale on Team-BHP

Team-BHP Classifieds - Fully restored 1983 BULLET with almost all new parts - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Hello Bullet-Gurus,

I was considering buying an old bull as I have sold my current ride which was 1979 RE Std 350cc due to some personal reasons.

Came across this bull on Team-BHP classifieds and will be going for test ride sometime this week.
Team-BHP Classifieds - Fully restored 1983 BULLET with almost all new parts - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Would need your inputs if any while considering buying this bike. Also, I am not sure if I would be able to manage this kind of money as my budget was somewhere around 30K and was willing to spend anothere 5K to get the bike to a good condition.

Please let me know what are the things I need to look for.

Regards,
Mantri G.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 11:28. Reason: Please don't cut-copy-paste from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:11   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Okie,

Then, I got the hot tube welded off from the bend pipe. Now, I could experience what lack of back pressure does to acceleration. The punch was there at the higher revs but my Bull felt flat at the lower revs on the stock pipes. Effect is the same as that of goldie. So, the goldie actually reduces backpressure, thereby acceleration. Now, my goldie had arrived back after chroming. I put it on and now the low end accleration wasn't all that bad. Don't ask me how as my guess is as good as yours. I concluded that a bend pipe-(cat con)+goldie=best bet.
Jay i faced similar problem after putting the Goldie, removed the rod from the bend pipe and removed the cat-con as well, now its doing awesome low revs as well as top end, it goes 140+ how about yours?

by the way i cut the goldie removed the baffle and put some glasswool, now the silencer sound really good

need check performance again as i got 18" in the rear now.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 23:19   #265
BHPian

Default Commute ??

Ok before I put money on the table for AVL 350.
I need to know. Can it be used to ride to work everyday ? Or rather can anything be done to beef up the reliabilty to make it commuter worthy

Are there any known Standard ( no pun intended ) issues which have known Standard fixes, which all bull owners ( AVL especially ) need to implement to make life easier.
Eg : the sprag clutch which quite a few have have a problem with.

Or is it just plain luck, that some bulls will be troublesome and some will lend themselves to the yoke easily.

Reason I ask is my place of work is kinda remote and the last 200 - 3.00 meters is a steep uphill and work hours are odd, leave at midnight
so If there are going to be recurrent break downs it will be difficult to find help at that hour/place .
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 12:56   #266
BHPian

Default Speed-RPM-Gear on 500 LB

As per the specs of the 500 LB -

Maximum Power-23.6 bhp @ 5600rpmMaximum Torque-40.85 Nm @ 3000rpm

So on what gear + speed we hit 3000 and 5600 rpm ? anyone has any idea about it?

I am looking for a table like this -

Gear | speed@3000 | speed@5600
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:15   #267
Senior - BHPian

Throttle king,

I have done a true speed of 122 as measured on a Veypor VR2. My speedo was disconnected at that time. On the speedo, I have done a max of about 130 something. Please note that these speeds were with me(63 kilos)sitting ramrod straight, in other words, bad aeros. With a pillion, I have managed easy 125s(speedo) in under two kilometres of open road.

Niks_Devil,

You would max out at about 100 on the speedo in third gear. I guess that would be about 5600-5800 rpm. True speed will be about 86 or something. Technically, maxing it out in fifth gear is practically impossible. Frankly, if you get anything above 17hp at the wheel, you're lucky. My friend who has dynoed his LB500 is getting about 19.6hp at the wheel. He has a goldie, K&N with upjetting. Surprisingly, his true speed is just 115, but the way it gets there is very quick.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 18th August 2009, 14:19   #268
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Reason I ask is my place of work is kinda remote and the last 200 - 3.00 meters is a steep uphill and work hours are odd, leave at midnight
so If there are going to be recurrent break downs it will be difficult to find help at that hour/place .
Get a commuter. Honest.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:25   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Ok before I put money on the table for AVL 350.
I need to know. Can it be used to ride to work everyday ? Or rather can anything be done to beef up the reliabilty to make it commuter worthy
Sorry if my view has already been discussed and decided, in my view the Electra is the best bullet to purchase this side of the LB 500 which is no doubt a wonderful machine.
You can ride it to work daily, without any issues and worries. Many of us do it I m sure. One way to beef up the reliability is to get hold of a local bullet expert in your area and not go to the Authorised Service Center for repairs other than the compulsory warranty services as most RE Service Centers in India are pathetic to say the least.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:26   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Throttle king,

I have done a true speed of 122 as measured on a Veypor VR2. My speedo was disconnected at that time. On the speedo, I have done a max of about 130 something. Please note that these speeds were with me(63 kilos)sitting ramrod straight, in other words, bad aeros. With a pillion, I have managed easy 125s(speedo) in under two kilometres of open road.

Jay
i have done 140+ solo and with pillion have done 135 for sure, my bike is stock no modifications at except change in exhaust. what is the actual speed i dont know but thats what the speedo show. However i onced checked from my Magnum as well, my friend was riding my LB while i was in a car which showed 135, dont know what LB was showing that time.

many people her have gone for K&n and VM38 or some carb, and they said your bike being stock is exceptionally fast. moreover i am getting good mileage also (should not consider it, but yes)
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote