Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th August 2009, 10:48   #286
BHPian

yes Lobo I understand, years back i used to have a modified one with wider tank, alloys, double silencer, harley style lights etc..

Good luck. be careful when u choose the handle bar and adjust well to the best riding position .
rageshbhaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 11:07   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
That is the PAV(pulse air valve) man. I disconnected the entire shebang, binned it, and closed the cavity with a blanking nut on my LB500. The cat con and the hot tube sit in the opposite ends of bend pipe, which leads into the muffler. Meanwhile, have you blocked the PAV with a ball bearing or have you disconnected it completely?

Cheers,

Jay
looks like i have some confusion here, my mech told me cat-con is in above mentioned place, or i might heard it wrong. that PAV pipe still there but he has removed some inner part and then fitted the PAV pipe again. But then he was saying he has removed cat-con. :(
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 11:31   #288
BHPian

Jay

this is what, PAV is

Pulse Air Valve

The Pulse Air valve is situated by the exhaust manifold and introduces air into the exhaust while the engine is warming up. Once the engine is hot, the Lambda sensor gets to work and the PAV is not needed. They both attempt to reduce emissions.

i spoke to my mech, the hot rod itself act as cat-con, which you have already removed, and the double layer that you see at the start of of the bend pipe is for reducing heat. there is no other cat - con in bend pipe. PAV and Hot Rod works together to reduce emissions.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:42   #289
BHPian

Can a DU-0100 K&N filter be fitted on a 500LB without alterations? Where can I find one in Bangalore?

I changed my exhaust to the short bottle type. I read something about upjetting the carb - is that imperative?

Cheers!
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:24   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Can a DU-0100 K&N filter be fitted on a 500LB without alterations? Where can I find one in Bangalore?

I changed my exhaust to the short bottle type. I read something about upjetting the carb - is that imperative?

Cheers!
yes, only changing the filter will not help, upjet or change the carb.
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:40   #291
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Don't hold the clutch for more than 5 seconds when you are stationary with the engine running.
Hi Jay , any specific reason for the above quote .will help understand newbie's like me about bullet

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd September 2009 at 20:29. Reason: Quote fixed.
rm_arjuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:10   #292
BHPian

@ throttleking - you mean I should upjet the carb if I install the filter or I should do so because I changed the exhaust? Sorry, but I got confused.

@m_arjuna - Jay is worried your clutch cable will have to withstand unwanted wear and will probably give way if held for prolonged durations in traffic. My Caliber's clutch cable had worn away and broken in traffic under similar duress.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:42   #293
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am riding a 1983 RE STD 350 on which I have switched to the same old Short Bottle Silencer which was lying with a friend but this one's without the muffler or the mesh inside the Bottle. If I understand correctly, this makes it a Free Flow right?

I havent faced any issues with riding, also the response from bike is a little better than earlier. The exhaust note has got better and louder than before for sure. Havent really checked the silencer yet at higher speed as i was riding in traffic, but the initial pick up certainly feels better and improved.

What I need to know is :-
  1. Will this change cause any damage to my engine?
  2. Do I need to make any changes to accomodate this mod?
  3. Will my FE go for toss(65-70kms daily commute)?
Looking forward to some valuable inputs?

Regards,
Mantri G.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:45   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Quote:
PS: Don't hold the clutch for more than 5 seconds when you are stationary with the engine running.
Hi Jay , any specific reason for the above quote .will help understand newbie's like me about bullet
Clutch is just not designed to be pulled in while you are stationary. That is what Pete Snidal says in his manual. Doing so, will cause premature wear.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
@ throttleking - you mean I should upjet the carb if I install the filter or I should do so because I changed the exhaust? Sorry, but I got confused.
Your valves may get fried if you don't upjet after a free'er flowing muffler.

You will be running lean if you change the filter to a free'er flowing one without upjetting. Lean=very dangerous to the engine.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Folks,

I am riding a 1983 RE STD 350 on which I have switched to the same old Short Bottle Silencer which was lying with a friend but this one's without the muffler or the mesh inside the Bottle. If I understand correctly, this makes it a Free Flow right?

I havent faced any issues with riding, also the response from bike is a little better than earlier. The exhaust note has got better and louder than before for sure. Havent really checked the silencer yet at higher speed as i was riding in traffic, but the initial pick up certainly feels better and improved.

What I need to know is :-
  1. Will this change cause any damage to my engine?
  2. Do I need to make any changes to accomodate this mod?
  3. Will my FE go for toss(65-70kms daily commute)?
Looking forward to some valuable inputs?

Regards,
Mantri G.
Read my above post man.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by v12 : 6th September 2009 at 13:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:20   #295
BHPian

hi jay ,

thanks for the explaining .
rm_arjuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 17:15   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Read my above post man.

Cheers,

Jay
Thanks you, Jay.

However, I decided to switch back to the regular short bottle with the Muffler. The girlfriend had a lot off issues communicating with me on our ride last morning to Panvel and after a certain point even I found the sound to be a little irritating.

I guess, I am really happy with the orignal thump generated and the sound is good enough too.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 20:52   #297
Senior - BHPian

Default LB500 owners rejoice

The tractor will pull like never before. Hitchcocks Motorcycles U.K. finally have a big bore piston for the LB500 which will be up for sale shortly, in December that is. After two years of development that is. To add icing to the cake, how about a high lift performance cam set thrown in? Yeah and the cam is already ready. Note that the cam isn't a reground item but a very high quality one developed ground up. However, the cams will need special pushrod adjusters which will be available only when the big bore piston comes up for sale. I have corresponded with them for quite a while now and this is the latest information that made my day today. That apart, we have a wonderful hop up kit for the Great Indian Locomotive come this Christmas.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 13:26   #298
BHPian

Question PAV Removal

Quote:
That is the PAV(pulse air valve) man. I disconnected the entire shebang, binned it, and closed the cavity with a blanking nut on my LB500. The cat con and the hot tube sit in the opposite ends of bend pipe, which leads into the muffler. Meanwhile, have you blocked the PAV with a ball bearing or have you disconnected it completely?
Regarding the PAV removal, I could source a blank to seal off the opening at the exhaust, but I am not able to find any thing to seal off the point where it connects to the carb outlet rubber hose. How did you solve that???

There seems to be suction from that point and I'm worried that leaving it open will suck debris straight into the cylinder!
maheshmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 15:15   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Regarding the PAV removal, I could source a blank to seal off the opening at the exhaust, but I am not able to find any thing to seal off the point where it connects to the carb outlet rubber hose. How did you solve that???

There seems to be suction from that point and I'm worried that leaving it open will suck debris straight into the cylinder!
I sealed the manifold end with MSeal or you could use Araldite or something similar.
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 12:39   #300
BHPian

Has anyone tried to fit a tacho on the bull ?
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote