Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th December 2008, 14:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

This should work as an eye opener for Bajaj and come out with better products. I think they will definitely remain in the Top 3.
Suzuki, getting ahead of Bajaj looks like a far fetched idea at this time considering their products in the market.
safari_lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 00:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post

Very well said aaggoswami!
Thanks!

Bajaj have been trying to milk the whole Pulsar and DTS-i cow for too long now. High time they learnt a lesson or two from Yamaha and threw in a couple of new and fresh bikes to stir things up in that segment again.
IMO, DTS-i was useful technology no doubt, but they should have re-engineered the bikes from ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Also they should not try to have a product which has everything but nothing great, I think.
I have seen that now a days, everybody guns for the word premium. 150cc segment has evolved and no longer the " Premium " segment the way it was when Pulsar series was introduced.
So, here what they need is the strategy of Yamaha. One high performance bike and other the naked street fighter.
Trying to pack everything into one would not result in good success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post

1) hero honda and hmsi never resorted to such ridiculous schemes to sell the ir products. rather they let the ir trouble free products do the talking and it is now bearing fruit.

2) bajaj grew too fast and it has gotten to their heads because if not they would have brought out a new pulsar by now. they thought that it will continue to sell well and so put all their money into an impossible array of entry and executive segment bikes that has left everyone confused.

3) ct1oo, ct100 dlx, platina, platina variant 1, platina variant 2, platina variant 3, discover, discover dlx, discover 135, discover dtsi etc etc etc with prices overlapping and criss-crossing performances,...

4) my predicition for 2011....
1. HMSI
2. HH
3. Suzuki
4. Yamaha
5. any of the others.....anyway nobody would care by then

and i say this because there is only so much technology one can buy and implement. the japs have that technology inhouse and also do have lots of money.
1) The quality of HH bikes have gone down. Before the very strict two wheeler emession norms were introduced, HH bikes were great, but after than the quality has gone down.

The 100cc bikes from HH are basically still carrying the same old engine. But the quality of engine is good and thats why it sells. In case of Bajaj after the Caliber and hence after they reduced the technical parterneship with Kawasaki, things have gone down from engine to chassis.

2) Yes, if the new pulsar range was out then it would be a different story.

3) Yes, huge overlapping. For example, the Discover 135 has performance almost equal to P150. This is disgusting. The spacing should be more.

4) NO, it would be

a) HH ( No body can beat Splendor/Passion for image, just like Maruti 800/Alto )
b) Bajaj ( They will bounce back. IMO, this has hurt them at heart.
c) HMSI ( Strong products and image will help ).
d) Suzuki ( Slow, but steady ).
e) TVS ( Will play catch up and can go further ahead ).
f) Yamaha ( I hope they stick to high performance bikes ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
No, it shall rise again. Beating the japs in their own game.
I believe the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I would like to see Yamaha steadily raise their stake in India with some more powerful bikes.
It will remain a premium player then and at that level, HMSI and Suzuki will also come with good products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post

No offense meant to any Bajaj fans, I give all the respect to Bajaj for standing up to the challenge and resurging back when the 100cc moto-misers era dawned, given that they were predominantly known for their Scooters. The way Bajaj shrugged off it's 'Scooter maker only' tag with the 'Pulsar' twins and the 'Boxer' series of motorcycles was an achievement in itself.
Well, now that they have had this blow, they are going to bounce back. But this was avoidable, and thats what I think we all mean ( including you, I believe ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post

As a bajaj owner i would say the their bikes deteriorate too rapidly . The performance of my 180 is down considerably despite being serviced every 2.5k- 3k kms. It hardly performs.It cannot be compared to the quality of unicorn.Also average maintenance cost is high.Their machines dont have life except the good old chetak.
Yes just as I mentioned earlier, after less work from Kawasaki was there, they started losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinGirish View Post
My two bits:-
1) I agree with Rajiv Bajaj that it is too premature to conclude anything out of this data (not sure I can call this a trend).

But the gap is a huge number of 33K units. Bajaj will have to do something now. There are news that they will come up with a new product for six months starting from November.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Its Just a phase. its only the situation thats just not right fro them now.

I have full faith in the team at bajaj and i am sure when the market stabilises financially, Bajaj will hit back again with what they are best at doing.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 13:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj have increased their stake in KTM to 25% now and will increase it further.

This alliance should help them to come up with better products and hence regain the lost glory.

Link: Bajaj Auto ups stake in KTM to 25 pc; to go for more- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
safari_lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 13:34   #20
BHPian

aggoswami.......i completely agree with you on the part of bringing a naked version of p200 and FI in the current bajaj lineup .......R15 has given good beating to every another 150cc bike be it rtr pulsar or unicorn
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
As a bajaj owner i would say the their bikes deteriorate too rapidly . The performance of my 180 is down considerably despite being serviced every 2.5k- 3k kms. It hardly performs.It cannot be compared to the quality of unicorn.Also average maintenance cost is high.Their machines dont have life except the good old chetak.
Exactly! "Deteriorate": That's the word that I've ben hearing a lot from people who have 150&180. These bikes need to much upkeep for them to be in shape. Not at all the fill-it-shut it-forget-it type. I don't about maintenance cost, and spare parts, but people still like what Splendor has to offer...even after 15 years.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 19:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is talking about the quality (which of course is VERY important), but what about the service? Fact is that service seems to be uber pathetic, now matter which company you go for! And the barbarians at the service centre are capable of reducing any bike, no matter how good, to junk, in a short while.

Giving your bike for servicing regularly is not the secret of keeping it from "deteriorating". In fact, I dare say, the less those savages touch it, the better it will remain... LOL!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 10:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post

my predicition for 2011....
1. HMSI
2. HH
3. Suzuki
4. Yamaha
5. any of the others.....anyway nobody would care by then

and i say this because there is only so much technology one can buy and implement. the japs have that technology inhouse and also do have lots of money.
Today's ToI had published a news about Yamaha India's CEO and anotehr high profile executive being recalled by parent company. Reason was that the 2 new launches (15 & 16) have failed to bring in the expected sales for Yamaha India. What's going to be Yamaha's fate? Yamaha has the technology but looks like their post RX100 turmoil is still not over.
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 11:00   #24
BHPian

the only way to reach spot one in india is only if Hero Honda stops splendour

i have never seen such a simple and practical bike in my life bikes which are ten years old still run like new and still give a bloddy 80kmpl!!

as long as splendour is there hero honda will still be having a party lolz

cheers
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 01:57   #25
BANNED

From my point of view , even if bajaj buys more stake from KTM , I do not think bajaj can do anything worthwhile in India . KTM bikes have a higher capacity engine and they will not give bajaj the numbers to sell in india .

Honda is still running on its sucess with activa and I am sure the activa will have a lot of competition from Yamaha . I think Yamaha might have a few scooters very soon .

Suzuki india will never be a major player as they are not the parent company ,but a company which has a partnership to manufacture the suzuki range of motorcycles . Due to this new products lineup might take a long time and they do not have many dealerships as such and most of their production is limited .

Hero Honda has volumes with regard to splendor. Hunk , CBZ extreme , Karizma , do not sell and I am sure most of the people in india dislike the styling with regard to the current crop of bikes from HH stables .

Yamaha india ,according to me is the most promosing company as they have a factory , dealerships , and their model lineups are beoming stronger . They have different bikes for different segments and regarding their motorcycle range ,they have crux ,gladiator , f series and their segments are very defined . The only other manufacturer in India TVS has a boquet of products such as yamaha and I expect by 2010 Yamaha to be the largest seller of motorcycles in india .

I am sure HH and Honda might not be able to sustain themselves against yamaha .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 02:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

The problem with bajaj at the moment is the gap left by the demise of their scooters. Honda is capitalizing on this weakness very quickly with Activa, Dio, Aviator and eterno.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote