Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd January 2009, 01:03   #31
BHPian

Kapil, all the best on the rebuild. that's going to be one neat looking Bike.
all the new spares look great.
Please update this thread as you go on.

Ps. restore to factory condition that's more fitting and rewarding than a mod job.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:52   #32
BHPian

Admire your passion dude. Really neat n disciplined build.cheers
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

one small suggestion..

plonk on digital cdi & start using Motul stuff from day one !!
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:03   #34
BHPian

when i was in college (2000-2003) guys used to do the same.
nuts and bolts restoration. spending thousands on their wheels just to bring the factory look.
one of my friend's brother brought a rx100 in 1985 for 31k and he sold it in 2001 for 33k.
people were running to find a rx100 to do restoration.
now i guess there is only few bikes left in the same condition

dude try fixing a carrier same like RD350, that gives the bike a neat look

best of luck for ur newbie
do post some pics of the current status
smart2smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:14   #35
BHPian

Default Appretiated

Hey guys. Thank you for those tips. Yes, I will be holding on to the original retro look. And will refrain myself as much as I can to modify anything. I have always been more inclined to originality. You will see it in all my bikes. To my very small and young collection I have a completely restored 71 Jawa 250, 78 Yezdi 250, 125 Twor Stroke BSA Bantam, 1941 G3L Matchless.

Also, which digital cdi should I go in for? Details would help. As for the oils, I am an ardent fan of Shell. But will go with Motul as suggested. Again, I could do with the exact details of the oils. Thanks again guys. And Desi, I'll see what I can do abouut a new set of pivot lamps for you. Also,chirag, that 5 speed barrel. Will ask him today if he has any in stock with him. So give me some time on that.
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Which Motul oil you plan to use? I enquired about Motul 2t fully synthetic (for my Shogun) and after I was told it costs an arm and a leg, I abandoned the plan. That was about a year back. Any idea what it costs now? And is a mineral/semi-synth available?

Btw, may I ask what made you a fan of Shell? What difference did you find with Shell?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:07   #37
BHPian

I am waiting for the team to guide me on the Motul Oils. As far as the experience with Shell goes, I used it in college in my RX. It is a golden/yellow engine oil. Served me well. The engine remained very clean and ran absolutely smooth. Not a single knocking sound ever came from that bike in my span of two years that I used it after getting it handed down to me from my brother and I used it well. Reallllly well. I was known more by my Bikes number, than my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Which Motul oil you plan to use? I enquired about Motul 2t fully synthetic (for my Shogun) and after I was told it costs an arm and a leg, I abandoned the plan. That was about a year back. Any idea what it costs now? And is a mineral/semi-synth available?

Btw, may I ask what made you a fan of Shell? What difference did you find with Shell?
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^^Hmm, so you've never "compared" it with any other oil? I'v used Mitsubushi, Mobil & Castrol Jet X (current). None of them caused any "knocking" or anything. All I can say is Mitsubushi was the cleanest (least smoke, spark plug seemed v clean). I don't think use of any 2t oil can cause "knocking" and stuff...
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:45   #39
BHPian

I'm sure but I always got a clean white plug out of my bike. which meant perfect combustion. And no, not lean. It always left that consistant two stroke smoke. SOmethings are always amazing. And thats why this bike has been my fav too. SO I guess I shall stick to Shell.

Quote:
^^^Hmm, so you've never "compared" it with any other oil? I'v used Mitsubushi, Mobil & Castrol Jet X (current). None of them caused any "knocking" or anything. All I can say is Mitsubushi was the cleanest (least smoke, spark plug seemed v clean). I don't think use of any 2t oil can cause "knocking" and stuff...
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats
I too have a Yamaha Rx 135 2002 model
I love it very much.
For periodic servicing,i send the bike to my native(Tirunelveli,which is 600kms from Chennai) by train.
My dad do servicing with the help of mechanic(close friend of mine and student of my father) who is very good in Yamaha.
after that he sends it back to me by KPN travels.
This happens every year a time.
now i am facing some knocking noise from engine.
as per the mechanic here in chennai,the engine cylinder struts is kaput.
I am not able to find good mechanic in chennai.
I just changed brake pads,back tyre,front shocks oil,wheel bracket and fuel liner.
I often use the bike.I used to go out by car.
so i decided/resolution for 2009 to take my bike to office every friday and for beach,i used to go every saturday.
Every day night i do clean the bike and water wash on weekends.
planned to send my bike to native and fix all niggling issues and add new battery and get it back with full josh
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
I'm sure but I always got a clean white plug out of my bike. which meant perfect combustion. And no, not lean. It always left that consistant two stroke smoke. SOmethings are always amazing. And thats why this bike has been my fav too. SO I guess I shall stick to Shell.
Dude... as far as I can remember, a white plug means your engine was overheating. Ideally it should be brownish.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonEye View Post
A small roadside mech kid. hardly 15 used to admire my bike because i had modified it to look like a dirt bike. He came and took a look at the bike and finally diagonised the problem with a coil which supplies the current to the spark plug. The coil had come with the original '87 model and had gone rusty and bad in the rain. I had spent more than 6k to get the bike to stop spluttering where i could have spent just Rs.150 for the coil.
I don't know why, but that damn coil is the culprit many times. And, let me tell you, it's really annoying when it goes bad.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:16   #43
BHPian

I can't and won't argue with that one. You are right but again, like i said, i was always amazed with it. It was a perfect mixture, gave a very decent average of 35-38 consistently. But again, even the perfect mould in life generates products with different results. cheers:Cheers

Quote:
Dude... as far as I can remember, a white plug means your engine was overheating. Ideally it should be brownish.
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread! Being a big fan of the RX100,I'm gonna be glued to this one!
Good luck with the work,Kapil! Keep us posted..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:26   #45
BHPian

Default Thursday.

Ok. Did some last minute shopping again. And this was mostly impulse buying. He had a gear shifter, so bought it. The clutch rod set, clutch cover plate, a few nut bolts and ofcourse the Cables and handle bar.

Now, a new day and a new beginning. Spent five hours trying to get the swing arm bushes out and have the new ones installed. Finally got them done in the hand press machine. And like i said, we work at night. So had to do them myself. Finally, got the old bushes out and new ones installed with the help of the press. Pics attached of the developments. Silver painted parts will also take a day or two. Hence the front shocks will go in later.

Forgot the rear half hubs lock, so couldn't fit the wheels. Will source that today, and should have the rear wheel assembly all set. Will also be fitting the ball race set and handle T and should be getting the air filter assembly installed. Now comes the engine, which will take a bit. So keep yourself warm guys. Will keep you posted. Cheers
Attached Images