Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:51   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Wow!! Slowly slowly the beauty is waking up! Dying to see her in her all glory! Fantastic rebirth. I am voting for this thread!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:24   #47
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Thanks Amtak. Trust me, the excitement to see her all set and ready to fire up is amazing. I always look forward to the evening to get off from work and get to the garage. Will also post a pic of my work area, which sadly is mostly in a mess due to the neem tree leaves that get blown in. Otherwise, my junk is my gold. And I am sure other restorers will agree on the same. Thanks again for the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Wow!! Slowly slowly the beauty is waking up! Dying to see her in her all glory! Fantastic rebirth. I am voting for this thread!
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:30   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Which Motul oil you plan to use? I enquired about Motul 2t fully synthetic (for my Shogun) and after I was told it costs an arm and a leg, I abandoned the plan. That was about a year back. Any idea what it costs now? And is a mineral/semi-synth available?

Btw, may I ask what made you a fan of Shell? What difference did you find with Shell?

go for petronas if you feel motul is expensive though it is ..

fully synthetic is like 350 per liter..
semi should be around 200-250
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:52   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^^^Thats much cheaper than Motul. But much more expensive than locally available brands like Castrol Jet X, Shell, etc. So does Petronas make any visible difference over these brands? Also, Petronas availability is a problem, here in Pune. :( Haven't seen it in a single shop, except one in Nana Peth. And gawd knows if its original...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:58   #50
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 63 Times
Default I couldn't resist.

Well, just paid a visit to the dealership during lunch hours. Picked up a few stacked away goodies. Two litres of Yamalube 2T oil, date of packing as you can see is feb99. Original is original.

Also got myself a set of the real alpha toyo accesories rear view mirrors that originally came with the 100's. PLus a few more nut blts that I needed. Pics as enclosed.
Attached Images
   
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:12   #51
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Why did you buy the Yamalube that was packaged 10 years back, oils have a shelf life! Better option is to get a genuine Castrol super TT.

Excellent restoration otherwise, while run in keep the oil pump setting to the higher side. Tool box was not there in RX they came with RXG.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2009 at 15:14.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:16   #52
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

I agree they do. But even then, ten years will not make any harm to it. PLus, its sealed. Had been been like the 87, an 87 packing, I would have reconsidered.

Yep, will definitely be keeping the pump setting on the higer side. Not only in the run in, but for good. And a little more oil doesn't hurt. So will run the first few tanks by mixing the oil in the petrol itself. Better safe than never. Thanks Jaggu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why did you buy the Yamalube that was packaged 10 years back, oils have a shelf life! Better option is to get a genuine Castrol super TT.

Excellent restoration otherwise, while run in keep the oil pump setting to the higher side. Tool box was not there in RX they came with RXG.
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:17   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

I agree with Jaggu. Like human's even oil has an expiry date. Not recommended!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:24   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Thats much cheaper than Motul. But much more expensive than locally available brands like Castrol Jet X, Shell, etc. So does Petronas make any visible difference over these brands? Also, Petronas availability is a problem, here in Pune. :( Haven't seen it in a single shop, except one in Nana Peth. And gawd knows if its original...

you can get petronas from dream bikes at MG road..
all other brands you mentioned are mineral oil..
petronas is synthetic so it has to be expensive
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:39   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Dont use synthetic for run in, it will prolong the duration. If you plan to add 2T in tank then keep the setting to normal, or else too much oil can foul the plugs as well as leave carbon in the exhaust port and the silencer, and yes pollution.

Ideally use oil in tank as a insurance for few 100 kms so that the oil pump health is determined, then set the pump to normal mark and leave it. These pumps automatically increase the oil feed based on throttle input and dont require more oil from tank. Ensure you bleed the pump and line for air and check and refill the reservoir tank every 750 to 800 kms.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:42   #56
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

I also agree on the note of the toolbox. However, the RX also came with a 6V. I've moved it to the 12V circuitry. Some things can't be avoided and a re a welcome improvement. SO a nifty toolbox for a spanner and a cleaning rag is an added bonus to the bike.

Thanks again Jaggu. I must admire the details our fellow Bhpians are taking ito detail. Well, I hope this restoration is living up to it too.

Also, on second thoughts I'll go with what you suggest on the oil. What I shall do is I'll put that 2T in the 2T tank and mix Castrol 2T oil in the fuel tank with the gasoline. This will make sure the engine gets the oil it needs, and a little extra from the pump, and will also confirm the pumps proper functionality without risking the engine. Since oils are hygroscopic, until they're used, this old packing will not harm the engine in any way as its still sealed.
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:50   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Chances of harm are very lil, unless some chemical break down has happened with the oil. If you ask me any advantage what so ever by using Yamalube is not worth that 250 bucks (2 cans), rather give it off.

On the other hand i agree lil tit bits that help are welcomed, though a shift from 6V to 12V is not cosmetically visible compared to a tool box, unless one changes the headlight doom or something If you are not particular about looks, another useful upgrade would be the switch gear on the handle, from a later gen yam, they are straight fit (IIRC) and much more durable. If the connectors are not same, dont bother since chopping the leads is something which i would not do/advice.

Reason why i got into details? seeing you put so much effort and money one cant help, also advice against the mistakes one would have done in the past. ahhh those were the days.

That reminds me: Oil level float from samurai can be retro fitted with some jugad into RX tank, then connect the wire to neutral shift light wire on the gear box and voila you have a, 2T oil warning lamp. Cost some 200 bucks

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2009 at 15:53. Reason: ol memories
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:09   #58
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

You do have a point. The oil can always go back. No issues on that.

As for cosmetic changes, I have the original Headlight dome but have opted to use a samurai dome for better focus. I am making a small compromise on a few things for sure. But in the end, it will be an 87 at heart.

As per the float circuitry, nah. The 2T tank has a level indicator in it and it works great. Just have to keep an eye on it. So will do with it. (Original) It came only for a few years and was finally removed.

Switchgear, I will go with the original RX style. I still find that very comfy.
I have the new one which will be kept as a standby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Chances of harm are very lil, unless some chemical break down has happened with the oil. If you ask me any advantage what so ever by using Yamalube is not worth that 250 bucks (2 cans), rather give it off.

On the other hand i agree lil tit bits that help are welcomed, though a shift from 6V to 12V is not cosmetically visible compared to a tool box, unless one changes the headlight doom or something If you are not particular about looks, another useful upgrade would be the switch gear on the handle, from a later gen yam, they are straight fit (IIRC) and much more durable. If the connectors are not same, dont bother since chopping the leads is something which i would not do/advice.

Reason why i got into details? seeing you put so much effort and money one cant help, also advice against the mistakes one would have done in the past. ahhh those were the days.

That reminds me: Oil level float from samurai can be retro fitted with some jugad into RX tank, then connect the wire to neutral shift light wire on the gear box and voila you have a, 2T oil warning lamp. Cost some 200 bucks
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont use synthetic for run in, it will prolong the duration. If you plan to add 2T in tank then keep the setting to normal, or else too much oil can foul the plugs as well as leave carbon in the exhaust port and the silencer, and yes pollution.

Ideally use oil in tank as a insurance for few 100 kms so that the oil pump health is determined, then set the pump to normal mark and leave it. These pumps automatically increase the oil feed based on throttle input and dont require more oil from tank. Ensure you bleed the pump and line for air and check and refill the reservoir tank every 750 to 800 kms.

very true..

you can stick regular motul 2t oil
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:20   #60
BHPian
 
R.P.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 179
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Great build kapil!! I see Radio Controlled cars are not your only hobby. Looking foward to see the finished product.
R.P.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1987 Premier Padmini White For Sale suren181 Shifting gears 8 7th October 2009 02:49
My 1987 BMW E30 325is restoration speedsport Modifications & Accessories 33 30th April 2009 09:47
My 1987 Fiat (Premier Padmini) newcoolgadgets Long-Term Ownership Reviews 18 8th July 2008 12:11
Air-Con for 1987 Premier Padmini? newcoolgadgets Technical Stuff 7 14th March 2007 19:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks