Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th January 2009, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Default Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100

Hey guys. I know a lot of us have been and still are great fans of the Rx100. Well, I finally decided to put life back into my 1987 100. The bike was in a very very bad shape. The only thing running, was of course, the engine. Everything else on the bike was a goner. I hence didn't take pictures but I have picture of everything else thats going into the bike now. Everything else has been purchased Genuine Yamaha and Brand New.

The frame, stands, wheels, rims, spokes, hubs, brake pads, cylinder kit, clutch plates, pressure plates, 12v wiring harness, 12v coils, indicator lamps, headlight, odometer, logos, side shields, rubber kit, oil seals, bearing kit, front shocker rods, rear shocks, silencer, mud guards, crash guard, dual horn set, tail light and assembly, headlight collars, cables, tool box, seat, back rest, chain sprocket set, switchgear, handle bar, yokes, throttle grips, foot rests, kick lever, complete lock set etc etc. Name it, and its brand new. Only kept the original engine, its internal parts, the original crank, the gears and the fuel pump, the fuel tank, the 2T oil tank with Level indicator and ofcourse the license and registration number.

I'm posting some pictures of the parts in my garage and will constantly post an update every few days. Assembly starts on Monday and all fellow TeamBHPians are welcome to pen down their suggestions and views. I could do with pointers on how to go about its assembly as the last time i stripped down and assembled an Rx100 was back in college, 7 years back. Cheers folks.
Attached Images

kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Looking forward to this one!
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 15:51   #3
BHPian

its really good to know that someone is doing such a thing to an old ride. and that too the legendary rx100. me being a long time rx fan, would certainly like to see your bike reinvented asap. all the best and post the pics soon.cheers: tell us one thing. how difficult was it to find the parts of the rx100? are all the the original ones?

Last edited by pulsarmaniac : 17th January 2009 at 15:53.
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 15:56   #4
BHPian

Thanks Pulse. I admire your love to the bike too. And the only reason I am putting in all the new iron is to make sure that this bike stays as hard and strong for my son 17 years down the line as it did for me and my elder brothers. I have three other bikes that have undergone an almost similar rebirth. But the RX100 has always been my favourite. I want him to enjoy it too. Will start with the updation Monday on.

Well, Rx100 parts are still available. My uncel owns a Yamaha dealership and is in a small town. So he has a lot of original parts. The 12V unit is not an Rx100s but the 135s. Everything else is true to its patrs as most parts were similar. But yes, its still very easy to find Rx100 parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
its really good to know that someone is doing such a thing to an old ride. and that too the legendary rx100. me being a long time rx fan, would certainly like to see your bike reinvented asap. all the best and post the pics soon.cheers: tell us one thing. how difficult was it to find the parts of the rx100? are all the the original ones?

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th January 2009 at 15:49.
Old 17th January 2009, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Hey guys. I know a lot of us have been and still are great fans of the Rx100. Well, I finally decided to put life back into my 1987 100. The bike was in a very very bad shape. The only thing running, was of course, the engine. Everything else on the bike was a goner. I hence didn't take pictures but I have picture of everything else thats going into the bike now. Everything else has been purchased Genuine Yamaha and Brand New.

The frame, stands, wheels, rims, spokes, hubs, brake pads, cylinder kit, clutch plates, pressure plates, 12v wiring harness, 12v coils, indicator lamps, headlight, odometer, logos, side shields, rubber kit, oil seals, bearing kit, front shocker rods, rear shocks, silencer, mud guards, crash guard, dual horn set, tail light and assembly, headlight collars, cables, tool box, seat, back rest, chain sprocket set, switchgear, handle bar, yokes, throttle grips, foot rests, kick lever, complete lock set etc etc. Name it, and its brand new. Only kept the original engine, its internal parts, the original crank, the gears and the fuel pump, the fuel tank, the 2T oil tank with Level indicator and ofcourse the license and registration number.

I'm posting some pictures of the parts in my garage and will constantly post an update every few days. Assembly starts on Monday and all fellow TeamBHPians are welcome to pen down their suggestions and views. I could do with pointers on how to go about its assembly as the last time i stripped down and assembled an Rx100 was back in college, 7 years back. Cheers folks.
Awww.....sniff! This has me all misty eyed. I was the owner of a brand new Red 1986 RX100 that I was gifted to me by my parents in August of that year. Those bikes had 6v electricals. Had a RD350 before that. Kept the RX in immaculate condition for 12 years before selling it at a price more than the purchase price. I still miss that bike. Used to repair and maintain the bike myself including the standard servicing and oil pump adjustments. She'd have been 23 years old in 2009! How time flies. A real classic bike. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Hope you put up some pics when you're project is done.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 16:12   #6
BHPian

Do post a detailed excel sheet with all expences and spare parts with their prices.
This will help many more Rx100 owners like me
Looking forward to see the done up beauty soon.
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 16:18   #7
BHPian

well thats the approach people lack these days. hats off to you! the feeling you have for your bikes is what i have seen in very few people around. looking forward to monday and this thread now.
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 16:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Look forward to see how your rebuild goes. I am myself looking for long time for an expert RX mechanic in Pune, who can play around with my RX135.

True, after doing all this rejuvenation of your bike, it will still be slower than most of the modern lot, it will guzzle double petrol than most others and will lack fancy instrument panel, but all that will be forgotten the moment you hear that sweet revving sound and feel that surge of raw power, the moment you release the clutch.

I come across prospective buyers for my bike every 3-4 months and all I do is just smile and wave

Please do post pics after your rebuild is complete.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Thanks 135. Will definitely post pictures along the way as the rebuild starts. So here's hoping its a smooth ride to the finish but one thing I guarantee, even today an Rx100 is still a faster bike than most modern, rather all modern bikes in its class. But yeah, it will suffer mileage issues but then again, the famous line that the yamaha Rx100 advertisement quoted was "Listen to the heartbeat" is what I still yearn for and is what got me to take this initiative to revive it, that lovely 'heart beat'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Look forward to see how your rebuild goes. I am myself looking for long time for an expert RX mechanic in Pune, who can play around with my RX135.

True, after doing all this rejuvenation of your bike, it will still be slower than most of the modern lot, it will guzzle double petrol than most others and will lack fancy instrument panel, but all that will be forgotten the moment you hear that sweet revving sound and feel that surge of raw power, the moment you release the clutch.

I come across prospective buyers for my bike every 3-4 months and all I do is just smile and wave

Please do post pics after your rebuild is complete.
Old 17th January 2009, 21:20   #10
BHPian

Best of luck for the rebuild, we all would be checking on this thread regularly, and i envy seeing so many Yamaha Orignal Spares not many available here.
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 10:51   #11
BHPian

Default Monday!

Hey. Well, we got the engine case back from Buffing and the new wheel hubs and tyres all mounted and ready. Will be refacing the engine cases today so that it is fitted without the use of a paper packing. The original casing comes sealed with a special paste called threadbond. Will post pictures of todays update tomorrow. And its just two of us, my Mech and me who are working on this bike. Hence I go to the garage only later in the evening after work and then we do assembly. During the day, parts are readied for fitting and several rounds to the paint shop to check on the progress of chassis parts and body parts is done. So see you tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2009, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Wow looks so very tempting, could you also post the prices that you are spending on the rebuild one by one.
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Kapil,

It feels really great to see you lavish so much effort and money into a bike. I am pretty sure that it will turn out really great. Do keep posting tons of pics.

Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:29   #14
BHPian

Default Congrats Kapil...

Prices of all parts procured would be very helpful in planning for such a project to all Rx100 owners. Please provide ASAP. Also, where are you getting the job done!?!

Shakensoul had got in done at Faiz Road, Karol Bagh. Is yours at the same place?
asejwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:30   #15
BHPian

Great start! Looking forward to the rest of the restoration job.

One question - After buffing the engine case, did you put any protective coating on it, as otherwise the surface may get dull with time?
abhijeet080808 is offline   Reply With Quote