Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2009, 12:15   #1
VMG
BHPian

Default Activa/ Scooty Pep + / Aviator

Planning to buy a two wheeler for local use. About 200km per month.
mostly single sometimes two will travel. Wife also drives.
not bother about FE; trouble free; easy maintenance; good looks;

which one is better of the following three.

Activa / Pep + / Aviator
Old 20th January 2009, 12:34   #2
BHPian

Dear VMG,

I have been scouting around with the same motive and my list is almost the same except that i am also considering Kinetic Blaze.

I found out that a new Activa is going to be launched soon, with more than just a sticker change. Do find out more if you are speaking to any Honda dealer.

I personally liked the Activa more than the Aviator Bu tthe Aviator is a new model and looks more sharp and cool..

Pep+ is not my type of bike..

Hopefully we get good replies to these questions helping us decide faster..
Old 20th January 2009, 12:37   #3
BHPian

Thumbs up Activa is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Activa / Pep + / Aviator

I have tried all three and here is my opinion:
Activa is the best, very reliable. (Three of my cousins have them).
Aviator has the same engine as the Activa and is just a 'show-off'. Might not be worth it to pay extra.
Pep+ is flimsy and does not self-start every morning when the engine is cold. (Only our driver uses it for errands).
Old 20th January 2009, 13:48   #4
BHPian

If your wife is also going to drive it, I strongly suggest the Dio. It shares the same engine, but more significant, it has a kerb weight of 99 kgs, which is 12 kgs less than the Activa. Scooty Pep+ has a kerb weight of 95 kgs. So Dio is only 4 kgs more and has the Honda reliability.

I have an Activa for the past 4 years. Completely reliable. My wife finds the Activa too heavy. In my society, I have seen a couple of cases where husbands buy the Activa to share with their wives, but the wives find the weight a little too difficult to manage. 12 kgs difference might not be a big deal for you, but the lesser the better for women.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Planning to buy a two wheeler for local use. About 200km per month.
mostly single sometimes two will travel. Wife also drives.
not bother about FE; trouble free; easy maintenance; good looks;

Activa / Pep + / Aviator
Old 20th January 2009, 14:02   #5
BHPian

Aviator is a bit taller than Activa. You can check it out if both of you can handle the machine comfortably. Aviator does have new features like Disc brakes etc. Explore the option if you need them. Added to that , one of the other observation is that for Dio and Aviator, the silencer is a gap down from the body panel. Was not comfortible with it.

Pep, I was not liking it from the start.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for Activa. Its proven, comfortable, reliable, metal bodied vehicle. No known issues. But I dont like it because of its leading link front suspension.
When you brake the front end rises.

Also consider Access 125. Its really nice with a lot of good low end torque,better suspension and engine response.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th January 2009 at 14:08.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:24   #7
BHPian

Yo cant really count the pep and the two honda horses in the same league at all.

STAY AWAY from the PEP!!!

As for the aviator and the activa, its pretty much the same thing.
Juts note the foll points that might be important.
The optional disc brake in the aviator is a huge boon in city traffic and worth every penny spent INMHO.
The aviator's kerb weight is slightly lesser than that of the activa, as it has a body made of a mix of metal and fiber parts as compared to the activa which is predominantly metal, this also reduces the amount of dents that need to be taken care of, as for the damage on the fiber parts, its quite tough to take care of daily nudges.
Yes, the aviator is a little taller than the activa, make sure you have your wife to test drive the aviator for that reason.
The front telescopic suspension on the aviator is miles away from the suspension of the activa, the larger dia tyre on the front also adds to the riding comfort.
Owing to the reduced weight of the aviator, the acceleration is noticeably faster than the activa.
The aviator also has a larger luggage space as compared to the activa.
Aviator seat is wider and more comfortable, looks are also superior.
BUT,
the aviator has a lot more lights on the periphery that means a lot more probable breakages.
The whole rear plastic body has to be take out in order to do any repairs, that means if you take the scooter to a local mechanic who is not conversant with this new scooter, you may land up with a broken body.
The resale value of the activa beats that of the avaitor hands down. you may actually have to find a buyer for your aviator whilst a buyer may come looking for you for your activa. REALLY!!!

TAKE A CALCULATED DECISION AND ENJOY YOUR RIDE. RIDE SAFE. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This s discussed in detail in the following Sticky thread

If you have any specific query which hasnt been answered then post it there

The Gearless Scooter Thread

Thread Closed
Closed Thread