Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th January 2009, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Unhappy My bike got attacked : Help Me

Hey guys…

I really need your expert advise / help on a very latest issue that is right now closest to my heart.

This issue right now is my Bike a 2005 Bajaj Avenger, which got damaged by no fault of mine or anybody else’s. Atleast that’s how it looks to me :(

This happened late last night when I was returning from work to home. My heart was completely broken when I reached the place where I had parked my bike. What I saw completly freaked me out, but I had no one to blame then the time and Fate.

Apparently A rotten Coconut fell from the tree and landed right on the Fuel Tank of my Bike, leaving behind a huge dent on the Tank. Check out the images for a clear picture.

Now guys please help me,
what should I do?
What can I do?
Can it be Fixed, Or will I have to replace ?
Can I claim it under insurance?

Sorry for the quality of the pic, taken from my cell phone Camera under poor lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
My bike got attacked : Help Me-20012009056.jpg  

My bike got attacked : Help Me-20012009055.jpg  

My bike got attacked : Help Me-20012009057.jpg  

sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

sinner, take it to a good tinker guy he should be abl to comment on it. if he is able to fix it also the entire tank needs to be painted and stickerd.... so its an expensive business... make sure you compare the pricess between the new one and the repairing cost...once you get the quote.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

It can be tinkered and repainted. Take it to a good garage who does the decent job. but the colour matching with the rest of the body will be difficult.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

What's the cost of a new tank? It's better to go for that. Tinkering is possible but you'll never get that finish. Bike tank's metal sheet is too thin for a proper finish.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:31   #5
BHPian

Definitely claim insurance. Your no claim bonus should be much less than the cost of a new tank, so claim it.
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:32   #6

I hope you got the coconut! are you sure it is rotten? (no offence, freind, just a joke)

Had something similar happen to me once. Got the tank knocked into some sort of shape by a tinkerer, didn't do too good a job. Finally filled the uneven edges with putty, and painted over but the complete profile of the tank had changed.

Would advise a new tank, if the difference in cost is not too much.

Cheers
Walterdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 13:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Man that'a really unfortunate!! What are the chances of that happening.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:02   #8
BHPian

AS others have suggested Ill say better verify the prices of a new tank. And if you have something like a chor market in your city (like shivajinagar in Bangalore) where you can get parts for cheaper rates.

As Rudra Sir has pointed out, the sheet metal of the tank is thin. Getting it redone isn't a good idea when the damage is that extensive. It'd weaken the sheet metal due to Metal Fatigue. After all denting work repair on bikes is done in a rather crude manner.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:14   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with everyone. Get a new tank, I'm sure it will not be very expensive. If you really want to get this tank fixed, I would suggest getting it done at Khalil. The guy is an expert in metal work.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

sinner, go with v12's suggestion. He and his brother are our in house bike experts. If he's suggesting some place for repair, you can close your eyes and go ahead.

But I still suggest a new tank.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check Chor Bazaar also. Though Avenger stuff is rare.

However, if you are looking to buy a new tank, check with Rahim at Sterling Auto Spares at Balaram street. His prices for Bajaj stuff is usually the cheapest.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:26   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rudra. Definitely, first advise is go in for a new tank. If it turns out to be expensive, let me know if you need Khalil's number. He's the guy who makes the tanks for most of the Enfield modifiers (Vardenchi, etc etc). And his work is PERFECT. I've got both my bikes done from him and I can vouch for the quality of his work.

Since the dent is closed to the fuel filler, a denting job becomes very easy. But if its far away, then the tank has to be cut open and re-welded. If not done properly, you'll have petrol leaking which can ruin your paint.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 16:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Please buy new tank. Petrol tank is made out of terne plate which is a special material to resist the corrosive nature of petrol. Diesel tank is just a normal "patra". Manufacturing is not easy as it has to be seam welded in a controlled environment to retain material properties. Repair is not recommended as internal rust will start in very small time as material will no longer retain its properties.

I know that everybody does all sorts of things to fuel tanks, but above fact remains.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by v12 : 24th January 2009 at 17:37.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 17:01   #14
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. Even i agree and feel that the first option is to get a new tank. I spoke to the insurance guys and getting the claim wont be a problem. The new tank costs around 4.5k(100‰ covered in insurance). I might sound a bit greedy now, But now that i need to get a new tank. Would it possible to fit the fuel tank of avenger 200 i'm interested in the fuel guage :-).
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 17:03   #15
BHPian

thats quite some damage ! usually i try to avoid parking below trees, during the last monsoon a branch was ripped off a tree and fell just a few inches from my bike , but I get your pain , try to get it fixed up and stick a sticker or something there to cover the cosmetic surgery , a new tank will be easily around 5k .
vikrut is offline   Reply With Quote