Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th January 2009, 21:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Unicorn seems to be a good choice keeping in mind all your considerations. It has bomb proof reliability with good handling and a super refined engine. Many of my friends who are Unicorn owners get mileages of 50+ irrespective of how it is ridden. Also, they seem to be the thriftiest lot with very little money spent on maintenance apart from the periodic service.

RTR-Fi if you want a screamer that you can burn up the roads with and the FZ if you want your bike to be a chick magnet.

If you are bored with the Unicorn's staid looks(I personally love the new all black version with the Honda wing on the tank), you could go for the CBZ X-treme which is basically a Unicorn in different clothes. However, mileage will be lesser than the Unicorn. Happy riding.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 21:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like you need either a Uni, GS150 or P150

RTR, Hunk, P180, FZ etc offer higher performance and style at the cost of comfort and FE.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 07:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

well since you would be riding 60km every day have you ever thought of the engine noise? i mean a bike does not need to be loud to make you feel all the revs mate, the pulsar, RTR are darn loud bikes and a long ride on these bikes always made thought man i need a more silent bike.

well one thing that makes my journeys on my uni peaceful is the silent engine, especially on the highways, even under the helmet i feel all the revs and racing noise just fine and is kind of sweet unlike the noisier counter parts.

this is one more reason to buy either the uni or the suzuki 150 which i believe is less noisier, apart from all the other plus points mentioned before.

just try and ride a pulsar/RTR for 20-25kms and do the same with the uni or suzuki you will know what i mean.

you wouldnt want additional vroom loud noise from you bike in addition to the traffic around you, i think many would agree with this point, unless your commute is of shorter distances, but for longer ones the silent ones do more good just do the 20-25 kms test ride if you can and you will definately know what i mean.

Last edited by rider60 : 29th January 2009 at 07:15.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 16:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well since you would be riding 60km every day..
+1 on rider60s views. 60km/day isn't a small commute. So, riding position is a very important thing to consider.

Unicorn has got a upright riding position making it suitable for long commutes. The CBZ xtreme and HH Hunk have sporty riding posture but not that like the track bred RTR.

Unicorn has a proven and reliable engine, has decent pulling power, is comfortable and is fuel efficient too. I doubt that it can take harsh abusive use, because I've seen the first lot of Unicorn's fiber panels break within 3-4 months of usage. I do not know whether the upgraded Uinicorn sports any better fiber parts. Some of the bhpians may throw light on this.

But, lookin at your requirements, I would still definitely recommend the Unicorn.
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 09:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
I am a bit inclined towards the FZ16 or CBZ Extreme, how are these bikes, will they be good commuters ?
Sabareesh, if you are driving 60KMs solo then I would definitely recommend the FZ16. The driver's seat is very comfy and high speed stability is something you would really love. The wide handlebars and radial rear tyres contribute to fantastic handling.

But if you are looking at having a pillion along on these long commutes, then I would NOT recommend this since the pillion seat on the FZ is non-existent!! In these last 3 months the only one I know who has been comfortable on it is my 3 yr old son :-)

Good luck and safe riding.
uday.ere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Can't agree more with rider60. Having commuted for 48 to 75kms daily for past 6 years, I absolutely want a silent bike. Thats the reason I am still sceptical about changing my Caliber 115 which is 75400kms old and still churns out a healthy 57kmpl.

I am sold on FZ16 looks but unable to go ahead because of its seating position. GS150 is a good package but spares could be an issue. Unicorn has an ultimate engine, but seen too many plastic panels breaking off. P150 has a wagging tail and blinking taillamps which puts me off.

For now, I am just waiting and watching to see I can get some better model. Till then, it is Hoodibaba!
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Considering your 60KM Unicorn suits you the best its has most of the things that you need for such a long commuting, descent power for highways, very very silent engine even in High Revs, comfortable riding positions in all Unicorn will suit you, do also consider Suzuki GS150 it also has very smooth engine and 6 gears so engine will be more relaxed and efficient.

Just test drives these before finalizing the bike.
its.me.ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 17:35   #23

Default Unicorn or CBZ X-Treme

Guyz I need help here. I am planning to change my ride from LML Energy Fx to something new. I do not want anything out of the Bajal or Yamaha Stable. I have shortlisted Unicorn and CBZ X-treme. I would like suggestions on which one would serve better in the long run. I am a person who rides aggressive as well as sedate. I use my bike normally for city driving, and I hate waiting in my car in traffic blocks. I tried searching different posts for answers, but did not find any post comparing Unicorn versus CBZ. Owners of HH say that the service is kind of "poor" in Trivandrum and that Honda is better in every manner. I would be satisfied with something around 50 kmpl from the bike in terms of FE. I am looking for stability, rider and pillion comfort, pickup, and long-term performance.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th February 2009 at 17:50. Reason: search please
Desperadoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 18:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadoxx View Post
I am looking for stability, rider and pillion comfort, pickup, and long-term performance.
Unicorny seems to suit your requirements, especially the rider and pillion comfort department. Stability ought to be good with both Xtreme and Unicorn, pickup - if you mean performance would be slightly better on the Xtreme coz of an additional pony, and both vehicles would give you very good long term performance and reliability. HH service seems to be good in Cheran, JCT sucks. No idea regarding Honda A.S.S in Tvm. HH Xtreme looks a bit more, may i say upmarket and youthful compared to the slightly commuterish image of the Unicorn.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 18:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Owners of HH say that the service is kind of "poor" in Trivandrum and that Honda is better in every manner. I would be satisfied with something around 50 kmpl from the bike in terms of FE
For an guy that owned an LML bike, I think you will be happy with hero Honda's service network.

If you dont care about purchase price and FE, then FZ16 is the bike for you, its nothing like the older Yamahas.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 19:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Friends,

Today while coming to office, my LML energy had its last breath. The engine seized with a loud "Dhuuuppp" sound. I have been facing problems off-late with my bike due to its age and unavailability of spares.

I have finally decided to pick up a new bike. Now I am really confused on which bike to buy.

My daily running from home to office and back is 60 kms. I need a bike (preferably a 150cc or above) which is a good cruiser, has reasonable power, which can handle abuse, is fuel efficient and light on the wallet.

Suggestions please.....
sorry to hear that, how old was your energy ? and how many KM on the odo?
As of now the best bike according to me would be the RTR FI RD. Excellent value for money and a great bike
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 20:21   #27
BHPian

Well I just want to say one thing !!

Unicorn for long drives, FE, Pillion, refinement. Its can be very good and less stressful.
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 20:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guyz I need help here. I am planning to change my ride from LML Energy Fx to something new. I do not want anything out of the Bajal or Yamaha Stable. I have shortlisted Unicorn and CBZ X-treme. I would like suggestions on which one would serve better in the long run. I am a person who rides aggressive as well as sedate. I use my bike normally for city driving, and I hate waiting in my car in traffic blocks. I tried searching different posts for answers, but did not find any post comparing Unicorn versus CBZ.
A biker not wanting anything from Yamaha? What sort of biker are you?

Jokes apart, I would prefer CBZ over Unicorn. Unicorn has silent refined reliable engine and all that stuff, but CBZ has been well proven performer and easily appeals more due to its styling, handling and power.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 22:14   #29

@RX135: I would not call the Alba, Libero, G5, Gladiator (rs, ss, and what not) , Crux a "Yamaha", maybe the RX100, 135, or FZ are worth called Yamaha, but do not want to go to that "sporty" league now. R15 is a joke....

@Mpower: I never bought the Energy, it was a bike kept unused at my wife's house, and I just took used it for the time being, after selling my Samurai. The bike is good pretty decent power, and handling, but the A** is nonexistant. I had given it for service at the one and only authorized LML service centers in TVM, and had kept it overnight for a chain/sproket change. Two days after I got the bike back, I had to ride in 2-3 gear when having a pillion. Those guys must have sourced some "rare to source parts" from my bike, I have already had my share of talks and EMAIL with the guys out there, who wanted 4K to get my bike back in order. Thats the story behind me getting and letting go the LML energy. I was using my trusted old Suzuki Samurai before.

I am still confused with Unicorn and CBZ now, both seems good enough. Will go do another round of test drives again tomorrow on these two and decide on the spot. Need a bike ASAP.
Desperadoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 12:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Jokes apart, I would prefer CBZ over Unicorn. Unicorn has silent refined reliable engine and all that stuff, but CBZ has been well proven performer and easily appeals more due to its styling, handling and power.
Not sure if you are aware but both Unicorn & CBZ Xtreme share the same engine just that the CBZ runs a different state of tune
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote