Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th March 2009, 18:06   #136
BHPian

guys any input on how to adjust the rear shock preload can't fit any tool in there!
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 00:43   #137
BHPian

I'm not sure of the name of the shop, but it's one of the corner shops, few lanes down the main Gurudwara Road in KB.. would try checking for more info..
and yea, I agree with Sankar guru below

Also, as for the rear shock adjustment.. I've got a repair manual for my Katana which has got quite a cool description for almost everything.. not sure if that could help in any way.. else I'd look for some tips online too

Last edited by jsmonu : 29th March 2009 at 00:45. Reason: missed a point
jsmonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 03:27   #138
BHPian

hey buddy! thanks man! will check it out , we definitely have to meet! will check out the manual then maybe you can have a look at my garage too! ciao ill pm you!
Old 29th March 2009, 13:03   #139
BHPian

Hey guys , rode a dilapidated old comet i saw at a dealers place while crossing, well the vibrations the same and looking at the two comets he had i realized how amazing a deal i got! well im going to check out another one today as a friend of mines also looking for one so i guess that would confirm if the vibrations normal! I'm quite sure it is and I'm just being paranoid.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:57   #140
BHPian

ok, just took a TD of another comet thats done about 12k kms, and surprisingly, theres NO vibration at all on that bike! So its back to diagnosis for me. :(
So please give me your inputs. Im going to check the valves next.
Old 29th March 2009, 15:41   #141
BHPian

ok another plan of action, we shall drain oil, remove the clutch refill the oil and fire her up and check for vibration this will confirm if its the clutch.
after that shall check the valves.
If that also doesn't solve it then I'm just going to chill, as if its any imbalance on the crank or any thing else within the engine im not going to touch it!
But whats really surprising is that this guys bike had no vibration at all! wherein evryone says that the comet does vibrate a little in that range.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:59   #142
BHPian

Smile Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
hey buddy! thanks man! will check it out , we definitely have to meet! will check out the manual then maybe you can have a look at my garage too! ciao ill pm you!
Sure dude.. would be a pleasure.. though somethin i wanted to update you about.. not sure if you've already got some.. but I got loads of manuals collected.. found some for Comets too - 250 and 650 workshop manuals
Old 30th March 2009, 14:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
Sure dude.. would be a pleasure.. though somethin i wanted to update you about.. not sure if you've already got some.. but I got loads of manuals collected.. found some for Comets too - 250 and 650 workshop manuals
@monu -- share them mate. workshop manuals are definitely in need here.
@speedy -- i tried to unbolt my stock exhaust to slip on the 2bros. The nuts just dont budge. applied kerosene and washed away the dirt. then used zorrik and left the bike standing for a whole 2hrs. i guess i just screwed up the allen key by trying to free the nuts. how did you get the nuts out man?
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:02   #144
BHPian

Many are too heavy to upload bud.. but yea, just ping me if anyone needs a specific service / oem manual.. and I'll get it
Old 30th March 2009, 15:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
@monu -- share them mate. workshop manuals are definitely in need here.
@speedy -- i tried to unbolt my stock exhaust to slip on the 2bros. The nuts just dont budge. applied kerosene and washed away the dirt. then used zorrik and left the bike standing for a whole 2hrs. i guess i just screwed up the allen key by trying to free the nuts. how did you get the nuts out man?
buddy! you've probably slipped the allen keys on the bolts, you have to be quite cautious with them.
OK so what you can do now is cut the bolt with a hacksaw in the center and then use a big flat head (minus) screwdriver to unscrew it.
You need to get similar size bolts then to replace these or you can use these if you don't mind the way they look thats what happened with one of mine i put it on the lower left corner that doesn't really show!
Old 30th March 2009, 15:33   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
buddy! you've probably slipped the allen keys on the bolts, you have to be quite cautious with them.
OK so what you can do now is cut the bolt with a hacksaw in the center and then use a big flat head (minus) screwdriver to unscrew it.
You need to get similar size bolts then to replace these or you can use these if you don't mind the way they look thats what happened with one of mine i put it on the lower left corner that doesn't really show!
I tried every possible trick i knew to take those off before retorting to brute strength! but your trick makes sense. Thankfully the 2bros comes with its own set of screws. damn! now i need to get a hacksaw in my tool set!
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 21:50   #147
BHPian

@Nilesh: i had a little trouble making it sit too, the bolts wouldn't align, even though on the gasket it seemed to have a perfect PCD so i drilled the holes in the flange of the exhaust pipe to make them just slightly larger than they are! its perfect now i even changed back to the OEM end can to check for the vibration and reverted back to the new one all within an hour, while it took me half a day the first time around!
Old 31st March 2009, 13:22   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedo - Here is one nicely modded Comet. The FZ lamp looks killer

xBhp Bangalore ride to Munnar March 27-29 - Page 4 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 16:02   #149
BHPian

Hey i was thinking of the same thing the other day! i saw an FZ and was wondering how the HL would look on this, also was looking at the Ducati Monster and noticed how the HL's alot lower was thinking ill make a new mounting and lower this one if i don't find a good alternative!

OK UPDATE:
Removed the complete clutch assembly, refilled oil and revved to 6K RPM but no difference in vibration!
Refitted the clutch and checked the valve clearance, they are way off!!!
The service manual says In: 0.1 ~ 0.2 mm ; Ex: 0.2 ~ 0.3 mm , but the were:-
Rear cyl:
In: 1mm
Ex: 2mm
Front:
In: 1.5mm
Ex: 2mm
Will shim it day after, and check it might be the cause! but I'm surprised at how it could be sooooo way off!?
will buy a bigger feeler guage to make the required shim as that would be quite accurate.

Now the question being what clearance should i keep, my mech was bent on not lesser than 0.4/0.5 mm due to The high temp conditions here. What do you suggest should i keep it at the manual specified limit or to what he suggests!?
Also could this be the cause for the vibration?

Last edited by speed0mania : 31st March 2009 at 16:03.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:17   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

yep it looks nice, much better than the stock, I am not sure of the spread though, also the same Comet also has an engine guard as the guy had went to Leh.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote