Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th February 2009, 19:48   #1

Default Used Pulsar 220?

Hello Guys

I have a 2003 Nov model pulsar 180 DTSI, its done 30K. I think it's time now that I go for a change.
But I am on a restricted budget and so looking for a second hand P220.
I got one in my office portal, its a 8 months old model and done 8k, price mentioned is 65K. Could you guys please advice if it's an ok price.
Can someone suggest what will be a fair price for my P180, it's in a a pretty good condition. Infact last month I got it tested in a roller bench ( The bajaj service station in Banashankri, near bull temple) for top speed, it touched 131. I dont know if in real life it will go that fast but still for 5 year old bike it's a good achievement.
Also would like to know how's the difference in feel (performence/handling ) between a 220 and 180, I mean will there be a noticible upgrade because it will be super dissapointing if I go ahead and buy the bike but don't find much of difference between my old bike and this one.

PS: I wish we had a "What Bike" section in TEAM-BHP.
Kaustuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 00:52   #2
BHPian

Hey Kaustuv

I have also been using a P 180 dtsi June 2003 model. No doubt that the 180 is a brilliant machine in terms of power delivery and handling. 6 years and i know its time for an upgrade.

The 220 engine is much more powerful compared to the 180 and the handling is also better. Rear disc brakes add to the bikes control. An 8 month used bike for 65k is a good price but try getting it down to 60k. Just ride the bike for a few kms and you will know the difference.

Why don't you consider the FZ16 or the Apache RTR. You will get a new bike for a budget of 65k.
aditya.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 01:53   #3
BHPian

Think of RTR if you r not taller than 5'8". This bike is damn fast and fun.

O/w you can start moding ur P180.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 11:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just test ride a Karizma then decide.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:03   #5

Guys,

I have decided to buy a new Pulsar 220, I really liked the dark grey and black alloys combination of the new model.
Now the issue is should I buy it from Khivraj Motors in Bangalore or from Venkat's auto service in Banashankri.
I will get the bike serviced from auto service only but I couldn't find their name in the Bajaj website for Pulsar 220 dealers. That's why I am little doubtful.
Any one here in Bangalore who has bought a 220 from Venkat's auto service in Bangalore can help me on this?

Regards

Kaustuv
Kaustuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:38   #6
BHPian

I have tried to buy a used 220 before and the one thing that kept me from going through was the brief turnarounds for most of the ones I saw. Owners were selling after extremely short ownership periods (3-6 months) and that is a worry with any vehicle. New with warranty is the best bet, but I hear they are close to 90 on road.
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustuv View Post
Hello Guys
Infact last month I got it tested in a roller bench ( The bajaj service station in Banashankri, near bull temple) for top speed, it touched 131. I dont know if in real life it will go that fast but still for 5 year old bike it's a good achievement.

No wind resistance or friction so your bike can do some really good speed on the treadmill

and yes for a 5 year old bike, its quite good.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 15:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No wind resistance or friction so your bike can do some really good speed on the treadmill
Just curious to know, how much would the wind resistance lower the top speed on an actual highway? 10% lower?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 15:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

1) Bajaj Pulsar is not the one to have good resale value. You wont get more than 25-27K for a bike 5 years old.

2) Bajaj A.S & S. is not the best. Had issues with it. Moreover, I dont know about Banglore, but in my city, this bike has spare part availability issues.

3) Although the bike is good, I suggest you take a look at new TVS offerings and also Karizma. Suppose you get Rs. 27K from your bike and add to that 40K, so for around 67K you can get a second hand P220 or new RTR. I would suggest buying a new bike will be more peace of mind alternative.

4) What is the main reason for selling the bike you currently ride ? From the figures you have quoted for top speed, the bike is in good condition. But this wont equal to higher resale ( generally ).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 15:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided to buy a new Pulsar 220, I really liked the dark grey and black alloys combination of the new model.
Now the issue is should I buy it from Khivraj Motors in Bangalore or from Venkat's auto service in Banashankri.
I will get the bike serviced from auto service only but I couldn't find their name in the Bajaj website for Pulsar 220 dealers. That's why I am little doubtful.
Any one here in Bangalore who has bought a 220 from Venkat's auto service in Bangalore can help me on this?
Does Venkat sell (new) bikes? I doubt!

Auto Service is only an authorised service dealer (and definitely the best one around for that) and not a sales dealer.

Even Venkat picked up his 220 and Elim (earlier) from Khivraj. They are the only Probiking dealer in Bangalore, so you have no choice.

But once you get your bike, ensure you service it only at Venkat's, don't even return to Khivraj.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 15:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just curious to know, how much would the wind resistance lower the top speed on an actual highway? 10% lower?
Very much is the short answer!
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 07:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Regards

Kaustuv
I dont think this paintjob is from BAJAJ
or may be I am missing something.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 09:16   #13
BHPian

Hi Kaustuv,

I would suggest dont go for Pulsar 220. I drive one and not at all happy with the performance of the bike. Bike itself is really good but the Bajaj service center spoils the bike. My bike performed well till 1st service but after that I have had only problems. I have complained upto to Bajaj service department still everytime they fix a problem with in few days it returns back.

Also since the bike is Fuel Injection bike, you have no other choice than go to Bajaj Service station for repair work.

I am so fed up with the bike that I had listed by own bike for sale in the classified.

Buy the Yamaha FZ16 or if you can then buy the R15. These are better bikes and will give you lot less problems then bajaj.

Regards,
kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 09:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

If you have the time then go thru this article.
Aerodynamic Drag - Craig's Website at Backfire.ca

You loose a lot of power simply fighting the wind resistance.
That is why its important your car is clean and for a motorcyle the jacket fits snug and your legs are tucked in.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 09:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Kaustuv,

I would suggest dont go for Pulsar 220. I drive one and not at all happy with the performance of the bike. Bike itself is really good but the Bajaj service center spoils the bike. My bike performed well till 1st service but after that I have had only problems. I have complained upto to Bajaj service department still everytime they fix a problem with in few days it returns back.

Also since the bike is Fuel Injection bike, you have no other choice than go to Bajaj Service station for repair work.

I am so fed up with the bike that I had listed by own bike for sale in the classified.

Regards,
kailash
Kailash, what kind of problems have your bike run into? Would like to know more.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote