Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 13:49   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Suzuki has Copyright for brand name Samurai (Samurai beware ). So it is their choice how to name their product with their registered name. They knew that Suzuki Samurai 4X4 will be never going to launch in India with same name so they named it Gypsy.

These auto companies are known for name & rename their different products with same name. Hyundai Accent is known in India but Hyundai Accent is the name of Verna in South Korea. We have two different vehicles with name Accent and Verna.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:08   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Whats in a name anyways?

Someone said this but i cant remember his name.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:35   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,274 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I guess you need to turn the book of history in the bikes, i do not think just an executive can take a decision to name the bike SUZUKI SAMURAI
Trust me, such things are always executive decisions. When I say executive I mean as in top/senior management executive, not sales executive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I do not think Suzuki has gone mad to not to sue the person who has made this mistake to name the vehicle if it was without the concern of the officials in Suzuki.
Since India market was not exposed to the global brand Samurai, they may have ignored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I guess this should sort out your doubts.
Yes, my doubt is solved. It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.

PS: My Grand Vitara can be called a pure Suzuki vehicle since it is CBU import from Suzuki. Yet we call it Maruti GV, which is fine with me.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,896
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default

Quote:
Yes, my doubt is solved. It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.
Actually Once they started putting only Suzuki they never branded any of the (Suzuki)Bikes as TVS & later they were only TVS no Suzuki.

The F2 I believe was a TVS Fiero though.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2009 at 14:47.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:43   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
I guess you would have seen the advertisement of the Japanese guy saying the favourite line - Suzuki Samurai the bike with no problem.
Actually, the punchline was: Suzuki Samurai, the no problem bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.
Samurai, the company was called TVS Suzuki Ltd that time, and the bikes were branded as 'Suzuki Samurai', 'Suzuki Shogun', 'Suzuki Shaolin' etc.

After the collaboration with Suzuki ended, the company was named TVS Motors Ltd, and bikes were branded 'TVS xxxx'.

Last edited by finneyp : 13th February 2009 at 14:46.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:51   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

The decals might say anything. What does it say on the RC under model?

TVS Suzuki or Suzuki only?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:53   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

The company started off with Ind-Suzuki bike, then changed to TVS-Suzuki AX100 and then brought out the Samurai, Shogun & Shaolin in just the Suzuki name. At that time the TVS-Suzuki AX100 was also available, IIRC.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:57   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,274 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Actually, the punchline was: Suzuki Samurai, the no problem bike!
I was not in India between 1998-2004, so I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Samurai, the company was called TVS Suzuki Ltd that time, and the bikes were branded as 'Suzuki Samurai', 'Suzuki Shogun', 'Suzuki Shaolin' etc.
Actually the last one is funny. I remember thinking long back about Suzuki Shaolin, a chinese name for a Japanese collaboration bike in India. Did they really check with the Japanese, it appears they picked it because it sounds oriental.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 15:02   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,742
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Ind suzuki when launched turned Tvs suzuki, then suzuki shaolin, samurai, shogun and max. then came 4 strokes. My elder bro had one of the first ind suzukis launched in the country which i inherited later on.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 15:21   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Trust me, such things are always executive decisions. When I say executive I mean as in top/senior management executive, not sales executive.

Since India market was not exposed to the global brand Samurai, they may have ignored it.
Don't say me that they were not exposed to the global brand.

As they were exposed to the global market they colloborated with Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
PS: My Grand Vitara can be called a pure Suzuki vehicle since it is CBU import from Suzuki. Yet we call it Maruti GV, which is fine with me.
This is b'cos the Suzuki has collobrated with Maruti in India and they are authorised to sell and service the vehicle in India.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 15:26.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:21   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,274 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Don't say me that they were not exposed to the global brand.

As they were exposed to the global market they colloborated with Suzuki
That doesn't automatically mean they are exposed. Most members here including myself didn't know about the global Suzuki Samurai until joining Team-BHP.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:32   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That doesn't automatically mean they are exposed. Most members here including myself didn't know about the global Suzuki Samurai until joining Team-BHP.
If you would be working in Suzuki then you would be made some research to know about the brands you sell and manufacture.

Samurai sir there i no offence and this is simply being dragged after it has cleared the Air that Suzuki Samurai was present.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 16:35.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:58   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,274 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
If you would be working in Suzuki then you would be made some research to know about the brands you sell and manufacture.
You think so? I have worked for years in different global product companies, and we barely knew what other departments did in the same building, let alone in other countries. Therefore I wouldn't automatically assume anything about their global exposure, that too when they made up a name like Suzuki Shaolin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Samurai sir there i no offence and this is simply being dragged after it has cleared the Air that Suzuki Samurai was present.
If you think this is being dragged, you can stop any time.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 17:10   #29
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You think so? I have worked for years in different global product companies, and we barely knew what other departments did in the same building, let alone in other countries. Therefore I wouldn't automatically assume anything about their global exposure, that too when they made up a name like Suzuki Shaolin.
That's there wish to name the vehicle, as in this forum many of them have kept names which they feel is better for them.

If you want to continue it you can and if it is objective then surely i will be there to oppose

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 17:13.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 17:14   #30
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

So when did the Jimny become the Vitara / Grand Vitara? Is the (global) Samurai the same as the Vitara elsewhere?

I've mostly been exposed to the Chennai sun.

Last edited by hrag : 13th February 2009 at 17:26.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS five46 Motorbikes 74 19th September 2016 21:23
Should i go for IND-Suzuki ax 100? mavrick Motorbikes 5 9th March 2016 14:37
Bike - Suzuki Samurai (TVS/IND) Restoration Project NFS Motorbikes 10 13th June 2012 18:20
My 1984 Ind Suzuki Ax100 DHABHAR.BEHRAM Motorbikes 29 20th June 2011 10:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks