Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 19:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Supercharged DI 2 stroke on a Fiero

working on a vane type supercharged 2 stroke direct injection engine ,using the fiero engine.Designing one, for some students from kerala.based partly on the lotus design.
cheers
EH
venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
working on a vane type supercharged 2 stroke direct injection engine ,using the fiero engine.Designing one, for some students from kerala.based partly on the lotus design.
cheers
EH
Thats great news....How was the other experiment with supercharger for 4 stroke motorcycle?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 21:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Why Fiero?

Would'nt it be much more simpler to start with a existing 2 stroke engine?

Are you planning to use an injector from P220/R15?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 22:26   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Great news, project will be ballistic, and why the fireo and not the stroker from TVS? what cylinder and head combo [I mean for the two stoke conversion] And direct injection using what injector and ECM?
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 22:36   #5
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why Fiero?

Would'nt it be much more simpler to start with a existing 2 stroke engine?

Are you planning to use an injector from P220/R15?
Exactly! how are you going to get the ports into the block. I guess the block may need serious working and in worst cases I am worried about its structural integrity.
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 10:17   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why Fiero?

Would'nt it be much more simpler to start with a existing 2 stroke engine?

Are you planning to use an injector from P220/R15?
The project is all about,having the NOx emission of a 2 stroke and CO and HC emissions of a 4 stroke.Therefore there has to be a sump like 4 stroker,and it is goin to be a mechanical injection like a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Exactly! how are you going to get the ports into the block. I guess the block may need serious working and in worst cases I am worried about its structural integrity.
Since the ports are BDC of the piston no such issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
Since the ports are BDC of the piston no such issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thats great news....How was the other experiment with supercharger for 4 stroke motorcycle?
The earlier
one was a roots type and noisy,so making vane type.Did get 1 bar boost on the old one as planned.
cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 11:31. Reason: Please read the Team-BHP FAQ (link on top bar) about quoting multiple posts. Thanks
venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 10:39   #7
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Sump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
...,having the NOx emission of a 2 stroke and CO and HC emissions of a 4 stroke.Therefore there has to be a sump like 4 stroker,and....
Sir, could you pls share a bit more on the 'Sump requirement' for lower emission ?
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 15:12   #8
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
Since the ports are BDC of the piston no such issues.
Hmmm , how exactly is the air and the fuel mixture going to get to the combustion side !?
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 21:32   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Hmmm , how exactly is the air and the fuel mixture going to get to the combustion side !?
using the charger for both filling and scavenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Sir, could you pls share a bit more on the 'Sump requirement' for lower emission ?
so you wont have to lubricate the piston and bearings with 2 t oil.
cheers
venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 21:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
using the charger for both filling and scavenging.
so you are going to open intake at BDC of the power stroke and fill, exhaust and compress on the upstroke so that you can fire the plug at TDC.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 22:24   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

So your going use the charger to push in the air and pull out the exhaust , with just open holes through the cylinder block of the engine? so need for a reed valve. And no pumping losses.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 16:21   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
so you are going to open intake at BDC of the power stroke and fill, exhaust and compress on the upstroke so that you can fire the plug at TDC.
The injection will happen after the closure of exhaust on the way up,
venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:08   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Hm. So you'll be using the supercharger as an EGR propagant of sorts to serve as both the the scavenger and blower.

Lemme get this straight. The ports are at BDC. But the Fiero's crank is not designed to act as a regular 2 stroke pump (as in the normal 2 strokes, where the crank acts as the air-fuel pump to suck in air/fuel and pump it into the cylinder).

So what you intend to do (or are already doing) is place the injector & spark plug at the TDC (head, so to speak), and let the blower do the breathing instead of the crankcase, right? Ignition and injector mapping would be taken care of by customized mapping via CAS (I'm assuming)? And is the blower belt driven or gear-driven?

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow, (pun intended) just like a stroker, I presume..?

I'm wondering of the mechanical efficiency of this thing. Any dynos to check out the output in KW/HP? Could we have sectional cutouts/pics/more details, puh-lease...? This seems interesting...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:55   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Hm. So you'll be using the supercharger as an EGR propagant of sorts to serve as both the the scavenger and blower.

Lemme get this straight. The ports are at BDC. But the Fiero's crank is not designed to act as a regular 2 stroke pump (as in the normal 2 strokes, where the crank acts as the air-fuel pump to suck in air/fuel and pump it into the cylinder).

So what you intend to do (or are already doing) is place the injector & spark plug at the TDC (head, so to speak), and let the blower do the breathing instead of the crankcase, right? Ignition and injector mapping would be taken care of by customized mapping via CAS (I'm assuming)? And is the blower belt driven or gear-driven?Is driven off the magnet nut.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow, (pun intended) just like a stroker, I presume..?

I'm wondering of the mechanical efficiency of this thing. Any dynos to check out the output in KW/HP? Could we have sectional cutouts/pics/more details, puh-lease...? This seems interesting...
yes like i have already mentioned,it is partly based on ltus design.
cheeers
venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Mixing will be a challenge. might end up with a stratified situation.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the Difference Between a Two Stroke and Four Stroke Engine? WILDTHING Technical Stuff 3 25th January 2007 08:46
My Landlords Supercharged Stang GT !! turbo_lover The International Automotive Scene 14 7th June 2005 22:35
whats Supercharged and Turbocharged?? karthik247 Technical Stuff 3 17th April 2005 10:02
2 stroke ... 4 stroke ......6 STROKE ! pepper Technical Stuff 3 10th March 2005 00:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks