Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st March 2009, 20:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Enfield should have gone out of business a long time ago.
but it has not has it? why? because there are still lots of people who like its old world charm. yes, its outdated and is out performed by several other makes of bikes. but thats the point isnt it? its old and quirky but fun to be with. may not be to most peoples liking but like i said, there are still lots of people who like it the way it is.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 23:01   #32
BHPian

Hi All,

Nice to read all of your views. I think P220 and R15 came nearest in my list. Finally I have now decided to go for TBTS.

Reasons(Against):-
1) 220
Already own a pulsar. No probs with it other than gear slips and minor things. 220 i feel is just a show off. The real winner is 200 but since mine is 150 no point in going for a bike which looks almost the same. 220 has just a fractional more power and a large dome,tats it. Even the bajaj dealer recommends 200 instead of 220.

2) R15
Yamaha service i dont really trust. They had lost the game yrs back once they stopped RX100. The service center i have near my house looks pathetic and havent got a positive feedback from my friend who owns a Libero and does service there. And well 1 lakh plus is not gud buy for 150cc bike. You will loose the race with 220 anyhow!!!

3) FZ16
A person who has no bike can definitely for it since it looks gr8. But again not at all an upgradation for me.Also it is coming out really in nos and will make it common too soon.

4) Unicorn
Simply the best bike in the segment. But only prob is age old design.honda plz do something about its design.Otherwise the 'no problem' bike of the era.

5) Hunk,GS150,RTR
Not impressed.

And finally reasons (for) TBTS,
1) Road presence - I realised it when i rode this bike thru a heavy traffic in my TD of just 3kms. Everyone LITERALLY GAVE WAY for me. Trust my words. Theres nothing quite like it.
2) Mileage - 45 is wat the company claims and I know a few guys who are getting it in reality and even more. So in that way it is at par with any of the current 150-220 cc bikes. I person who tripped ooty from cochin got a whopping 60kmpl - wud u beleive it?
3) With the short silencer it does have a good sound. Not the classic thump but still a superb THunderbrid trademark sound.
4) Heavy - means more stable on highway. Iam (aged 26) a more mature rider now with all those 'teen biking attitude' out of me. Disc brakes make it more safer too.

So guys let me give the advance? Asking one last time. 45 days for delivery. 1,02,500 onroad.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 10:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1 lakh Budget Suggest a Bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi All,

So guys let me give the advance? Asking one last time. 45 days for delivery. 1,02,500 onroad.
Sam, sorry for reviving this old thread. Hope you got your thunderbird as promised. Have you penned down an exclusive ownership report elsewhere? Am in the verge of booking one. The current waiting period here is 6 months and it costs an whooping 1.20lacs on road. This price quoted is for the latest UCE version. Could you please update us on your experience with the beast... the good and the bad too!! Thanks!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 00:08   #34
BHPian

Sorry dude, this is how it went :-

March 2009 I bought STD 350 instead. Sold it in 3 months. Had hell lots of quality issues. Then I bought P220 DTSi. Was happy ever since and sold it in June 2011.

Personally I wouldn't suggest a RE to anyone who is used to Japanese quality even now. Small niggles and frequent visits to workshop and some grease are still associated with RE. Though TBTS is a good bike if you are aware what RE quality really is (referring to niggles).

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 14th January 2012 at 00:10.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Sam, sorry for reviving this old thread. Hope you got your thunderbird as promised. Have you penned down an exclusive ownership report elsewhere? Am in the verge of booking one. The current waiting period here is 6 months and it costs an whooping 1.20lacs on road. This price quoted is for the latest UCE version. Could you please update us on your experience with the beast... the good and the bad too!! Thanks!
I bought a TBTS in January 2009. I have ridden it for 24,500 km till date. It is a great bike for the highway and touring. I wouldn't advise it for commuting in rush-hour traffic, unless you also use it for touring and think that the latter makes it worth-while. But, it is quite heavy and it is best if you are quite well-built yourself. The maintenance issues with UCE are negligible (and highly exaggerated in web-fora). Change to fully synthetic engine oil after a few thousand kilometers. I believe, you'll never look back with regret.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 14th January 2012 at 11:20.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks so much for chipping in with your views. I took a TD of it recently and am mighty impressed. Handling the bulk shouldn't be a problem because am already close to beating the birdie's weight and am a six footer as well.

The Test Drive TBTS had an aftermarket silencer and i really liked the thump. The showroom guys told me that I could fit in the aftermarket one immediately. I don't care about the marginal drop in FE but just wanna ensure that it does not affect the engine in the long run.

Whats your take on that?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th January 2012 at 12:49.
Old 14th January 2012, 19:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

The Test Drive TBTS had an aftermarket silencer and i really liked the thump. The showroom guys told me that I could fit in the aftermarket one immediately. I don't care about the marginal drop in FE but just wanna ensure that it does not affect the engine in the long run.

Whats your take on that?
I still have the stock silencer, so I can't really help you on this. [I never minded that the TBTS did not have the characteristic RE thump. It has its own beat, which kind of grows on you.]
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 23:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Did you think about KTM 200 ? .It should be around for 1.3 ,if you can extend your budget .Can be both street and off-road and 25 bhp is more than enuff ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 06:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Did you think about KTM 200 ? .It should be around for 1.3 ,if you can extend your budget .Can be both street and off-road and 25 bhp is more than enuff ?
Thanks for your suggestion. As you rightly said, it can be used on streets and dirt as well. But it definitely does not appeal to the RE segment buyers. May be i'll consider it as my fun ride a couple of years down the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
I still have the stock silencer, so I can't really help you on this. [I never minded that the TBTS did not have the characteristic RE thump. It has its own beat, which kind of grows on you.]

Oh yea!! Just can't wait to get my hands on it.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th January 2012 at 06:07.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi All,

And finally reasons (for) TBTS,
1) Road presence - I realised it when i rode this bike thru a heavy traffic in my TD of just 3kms. Everyone LITERALLY GAVE WAY for me. Trust my words. Theres nothing quite like it.
2) Mileage - 45 is wat the company claims and I know a few guys who are getting it in reality and even more. So in that way it is at par with any of the current 150-220 cc bikes. I person who tripped ooty from cochin got a whopping 60kmpl - wud u beleive it?
3) With the short silencer it does have a good sound. Not the classic thump but still a superb THunderbrid trademark sound.
4) Heavy - means more stable on highway. Iam (aged 26) a more mature rider now with all those 'teen biking attitude' out of me. Disc brakes make it more safer too.

Well, in the end its your call and what you are comfortable with. But since you ask for advice, i had with me for a total of 3 weeks, one 500cc classic bullet and a 350 machismo. THe 500 felt punchy and the 350 was better to ride. But both of them did not inspire confidence at all, in terms of road handling.
You can ofcourse buy it for the sound and presence, but as a practical bike, i would stay away from RE. Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose. :-) and happy riding.
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote