Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 10:06   #1906
BHPian
 
Rugged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CYBER-abad MUM
Posts: 52
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Tested the RE Short Bottle , which the dealer ( CYBER AUTO, Ramkothi, only RE dealer of Hyderabad & Telangana state) claims has 3 mufflers.
The Sound was too dull , he gave a best price of 1600 plus fixing 100/- to the mech.
He also said the Stock RE Silencer comes with 4 mufflers ,
i am not sure how true this info is !

I was surprised when he suggested me to try the Chennai Brand - QUALITY (which the dealer claims has 2 mufflers ) 1200/- , took a test ride, got fixed.
Was okay with the deep thump , just hoping the thump will improve with carbon deposit !
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 15:09   #1907
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Tested the RE Short Bottle , which the dealer ( CYBER AUTO, Ramkothi, only RE dealer of Hyderabad & Telangana state) claims has 3 mufflers.
The Sound was too dull , he gave a best price of 1600 plus fixing 100/- to the mech.
He also said the Stock RE Silencer comes with 4 mufflers ,
i am not sure how true this info is !

I was surprised when he suggested me to try the Chennai Brand - QUALITY (which the dealer claims has 2 mufflers ) 1200/- , took a test ride, got fixed.
Was okay with the deep thump , just hoping the thump will improve with carbon deposit !
What he meant to say was , the muffler has multiple chambers. The muffler is just one and the stock exhaust will have 4 chambers in it with filtered pipes to cancel the sound waves. The short bottle will have 2.
Not sure which is the one that has 3.

There is hardly any carbon deposits from the UCE engine, so don't expect the note to change.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 17:21   #1908
BHPian
 
Mr.O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Muvattupuzha,KL
Posts: 67
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Does running a with low battery causes a bike to get overheated? My 2006 STD350, after 60kmph in 4th gear, it feels like someone is pulling the bike from behind (drop in power), it happens in all gears at around that RPM. The bike is also experiencing severe missing occasionally. What would be the cause?
Mr.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 17:57   #1909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Does running a with low battery causes a bike to get overheated? My 2006 STD350, after 60kmph in 4th gear, it feels like someone is pulling the bike from behind (drop in power), it happens in all gears at around that RPM. The bike is also experiencing severe missing occasionally. What would be the cause?
Mr.O mate I have never heard a low battery causing an air cooled motorcycle to overheat. In case of a liquid cooled motorcycle if the radiator fan does not kick in due to faulty electrical system then the engine may overheat. But then it has nothing to do with low battery.

Your Standard Bullet could be overheating due to several reasons right from ultra lean mixture to poor oil circulation. A drop in power(like someone pulling from behind) can be due to an over tight chain or improperly adjusted clutch plates. Severe missing relates to timing issue or carb setting. Also get your spark plug cleaned.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 18:08   #1910
BHPian
 
Mr.O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Muvattupuzha,KL
Posts: 67
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mr.O mate I have never heard a low battery causing an air cooled motorcycle to overheat. In case of a liquid cooled motorcycle if the radiator fan does not kick in due to faulty electrical system then the engine may overheat. But then it has nothing to do with low battery.

Your Standard Bullet could be overheating due to several reasons right from ultra lean mixture to poor oil circulation. A drop in power(like someone pulling from behind) can be due to an over tight chain or improperly adjusted clutch plates. Severe missing relates to timing issue or carb setting. Also get your spark plug cleaned.
There is also a popping backfiring noise when throttle is closed while moving. Does it mean I am running lean?
Mr.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 10:41   #1911
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
There is also a popping backfiring noise when throttle is closed while moving. Does it mean I am running lean?
Mate all of your motorcycle symptoms are directing to a lean mixture(tuning problem) and also timing issue. In addition to the things mentioned in my previous post get it checked through a mechanic or better do it yourself if you are familiar with the settings. In addition to this also get your clutch checked as it might be slipping thereby sapping the power.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 9th September 2015 at 10:45.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 12:29   #1912
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Can some one please suggest me where I can get good quality Harley style alloy wheels for my CL350 and also what brand should I look for.

Vijay
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 13:48   #1913
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I own an Electra 350 bought 2 months back. Having similar engine back firing issues when engine is idling. 2nd service was due today and have raised the concern to ASA. He said he will do engine tuning. Will post the review after the issue gets resolved.
amitpatnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 15:13   #1914
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 419
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
+1 to that thought proicess, As long as the carb requires less fiddling it should do the job. The Great KLR650 still comes with Carb so there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Except that in higher altitudes you would have to drop the needle. FI would have done it by itself automatically.
FI is fine where you've got plenty of highly skilled mechanics to work on them, and highly-paid owners to pay $80/hr shop rates. Trouble with RE's attempts at FI implementation here is that they tried to do it on the cheap, sans O2 sensor, so they were NOT compensating automatically for altitude (or anything else), and in fact were running worse up there than the carb'd bikes. All the tour companies up here went to std. 500's (carb'd) as soon as they became available, and had been converting away from FI earlier. Friends with 500CL's went from mid-20's to low 30's (local riding) in FE after switching over their bikes to carbs.

Moreover, Keihin FI parts costs are ridiculous, and the fuel pumps were failing left and right.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 15:49   #1915
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 34
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello.

This has been asked before, but never really found a satisfactory answer. Here's a very brief query.

1. Painting the engine black.

- How long would the 2k paint last on a CI engine? A friend said the paint would last for a year at least before it starts peeling. Is that so? And is touching it up easy?

- Where can I source some good high heat paints from? There are a couple of them available on Ebay, but I'm not sure how they would pan out.

2. Painting chrome parts.

- So I need to paint my rims, handle bar and exhaust too. The same friend also suggested I go for powder coating, for normal paints won't stick on chrome but having them powder coated would do the trick. What's your opinion?
rbppt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 22:18   #1916
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
FI is fine where you've got plenty of highly skilled mechanics to work on them, and highly-paid owners to pay $80/hr shop rates. Trouble with RE's attempts at FI implementation here is that they tried to do it on the cheap, sans O2 sensor, so they were NOT compensating automatically for altitude (or anything else), and in fact were running worse up there than the carb'd bikes. All the tour companies up here went to std. 500's (carb'd) as soon as they became available, and had been converting away from FI earlier. Friends with 500CL's went from mid-20's to low 30's (local riding) in FE after switching over their bikes to carbs.

Moreover, Keihin FI parts costs are ridiculous, and the fuel pumps were failing left and right.

-Eric
Now almost all bikes are Fi in India , except the 100cc segment or thereabouts. I see no one paying 80$ an hour for regular maintenance here.
People who pay 80$ an hour are the ones looking to make there Fi do what it wasn't programmed to from factory.
Almost all low cost Fi systems work without O2 sniffers, as an o2 sensors have nothing or miniscule role in altitude adjustments. They are there more for guaranteed compliance with pollution norms as penalties are getting stiffer day by day for manufacturers if a batch is found not in compliance with law.

Altitude compensation is done by MAP sensor ,not by O2 sensors.
When you switch on the ignition , just about to start the vehicle , MAP sensor takes few readings(usually3) and that it registers as ATM pressure and alters the MAP global bias accordingly.
As soon as vehicle is started , the Map sensor assumes it usual role.

I am not sure if report about REs inability to adjust AFR for altitude is true or not but this kind of knowhow is very basic.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 00:10   #1917
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 951
Thanked: 1,762 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan"

dustom_99

Thank you for saving me from having to explain all of that.

Yes, the Royal Enfield fuel injection system uses the MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure sensor) readings to adjust the AF ratio for varying altitudes. It is calibrated to operate at elevations from sea level to over 18,000 feet (5490 meters).

Yes, the Lambda (O2) sensor is on the export Royal Enfields only to meet the emissions requirements in the USA, England and Europe.
The fuel injection maps for the RE in India are designed to maximize fuel economy while still providing performance equal to or better than a carburetor can provide.

For those who aren't familiar with RE fuel injection, the computer uses manifold pressure, throttle position, engine temperature and engine speed to determine the best air/fuel mixture ratio and ignition timing several times per second.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 03:04   #1918
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
dustom_99

Thank you for saving me from having to explain all of that.

Yes, the Royal Enfield fuel injection system uses the MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure sensor) readings to adjust the AF ratio for varying altitudes. It is calibrated to operate at elevations from sea level to over 18,000 feet (5490 meters).
Thanks thanks for chipping in with calibration values ,specially 5490mtrs. So what happens if someone takes it to 6000mtrs? Does this makes make ECU ignore sensor's output above 5490 , and there for loose the self calibration of AFR values or does it throw some kind of fault code above Max calibrated value.
As far as I know , all major automotive sensor manufacturer makes MAP sensors in 3 versions only. 1 bar sensor - can read from 15kpa to 120kpa- used in petrol NA engines.
2 bar sensor - range 15kpa to 24x kpa - used in turbo/ super charged petrol .
3 bar - used in most crdi diesels .

Now if a sensor already has range and capability to provide meaningful input to ECU , why would someone want to put a cap on it by calibrating it for just 5500mtrs of altitude.
Even at 8000mtrs (mt everest) atm pressure is around 35kpa , which is easily readable by sensor( these sensors are designed to read very very low pressure under sudden closure of throttle and tremendous vacuum created thereby.
Is there some kind of moron sitting in RE labs ? Why put upper limit when you already have the hardware.

And also I have a small but significant correction to make in your post, MAP is manifold absolute pressure .
If you wrote Manifold air pressure on a drawing and gave it to some efi vendor to make you a fuel system , you probably will be left with blown apart cylinders and wouldn't know what's wrong.
On a good day , There is 14psi difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 10th September 2015 at 03:07.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 15:57   #1919
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 587
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbppt View Post
Hello.

This has been asked before, but never really found a satisfactory answer. Here's a very brief query.

1. Painting the engine black.

- How long would the 2k paint last on a CI engine? A

2. Painting chrome parts.

- So I need to paint my rims, handle bar and exhaust too. What's your opinion?
On painting the engine block, a 2 component paint should not peel off if the surface preparation is done properly. By properly, I mean By-The-Book.
It also depends on the quality of the paint. If you buy any reputed brands, it should work.

Painting of chrome is not found easily in India. I do not know of any shop doing spray on chrome. Usually the chrome is electro-plated and that is the best way to do it. Again surface preparation is the key. A coating of nickel on MS before the chromium would be helpful in binding.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 16:19   #1920
BHPian
 
B O V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cochin
Posts: 279
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Does running a with low battery causes a bike to get overheated? My 2006 STD350, after 60kmph in 4th gear
Have you checked your ignition timing? Sounds a like its a bit retarded (timing), When does it miss?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbppt View Post
This has been asked before, but never really found a satisfactory answer. Here's a very brief query
If you get em powder coated like your friend said, it should be fine,Although I don't endorse painting over the chrome.

What I suggest; get new painted parts. Thing is that the fancy with black just might die out really fast. Then you'd want to go back to stock , so if you have all your chrome parts unharmed you can just swap out as and when needed.

Kind Regards,

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 10th September 2015 at 16:27.
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks