Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 19:36   #1981
BHPian
 
Rugged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CYBER-abad MUM
Posts: 52
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hi Bullet Guru's need an answer.
My mechanic says that he has put in 2750 ML engine oil during the recent service. But the RE Manual says that only 2500 ML.
Was that a bluff ?
Someone help
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 18:40   #1982
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Friends,

Need your views on the issue I'm facing with my Electra '08 model. Spark plug is getting fuse very frequently. It happened on two occasions back to back, i.e first time the spark plug was fuse, got it changed and drove for some 15 KM and parked, after that it would not start. Checked the spark plug and realized fuse again. At both the instance it never stalled on the way, but I could feel the loss in power and engine coughing at times as if itís going to stop. I was ignorant that spark plug will fuse until my mechanic told it happens, is that true ?

Any pointers what could be the issue?

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 10:52   #1983
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I'm facing with my Electra '08 model. Spark plug is getting fuse very frequently. I was ignorant that spark plug will fuse until my mechanic told it happens, is that true ?
Milestone mate your Electra's symptoms are exactly like mine when I faced this issue(with my 1996 CI Standard Bullet) way back on 2012. As a matter of fact the spark plug does short/fuse due to electrical issues or mechanical issues. In my case it was related to electrical issues. My wiring was pretty old(1996 model) and was in a mess due to frequent cuts and joints. I decided to change the whole wiring harness along with the spark plug cap and HT wire. This was the time I also installed an RR(Regulator Rectifier) unit. The problem of plug shorting/fusing disappeared from then on and never returned till date.

I once experimented with an NGK spark plug which gave me some problems as it was a cold plug. RE CI's require a hot plug so I switched back to OEM Bosch/Mico spark plug and was back to normal. As a general practice I always carry a spare plug with me while riding. I think you should get your electrical system checked and also the condition of your spark plug to see if it is over sooty, oily, etc.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th October 2015 at 10:53.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 11:45   #1984
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Has anyone used/ using a 100/90 bulb in REs ? If yes what are the cons of using one.Will the battery be discharged even on highway runs?Will it overload the wiring and alternator?
I did search the forum but didn't get any conclusive answers.
PS- I have upgraded the headlight dome to a Hella 7" Sealed beam unit from the Ambassador.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th October 2015 at 11:46.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 14:49   #1985
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Milestone mate your Electra's symptoms are exactly like mine when I faced this issue(with my 1996 CI Standard Bullet) way back on 2012. As a matter of fact the spark plug does short/fuse due to electrical issues or mechanical issues. .... As a general practice I always carry a spare plug with me while riding. I think you should get your electrical system checked and also the condition of your spark plug to see if it is over sooty, oily, etc.
Thanks Navin. I hope mine is an electrical issue, it all started after the service at one of the showroom service center, my bad. Just out of curiosity what could be the mechanical related issues? I'm worried on this, coz electrical is much easy to rectify if related to wiring. And, yes spark plug at both the occasions were sooty.

You have made interesting point - RR, does the modern bullet line up come with one ? not sure will check with my regular mechanic.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 15:16   #1986
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Just out of curiosity what could be the mechanical related issues? I'm worried on this, coz electrical is much easy to rectify if related to wiring. And, yes spark plug at both the occasions were sooty.
Mate a sooty spark plug is normal an over sooty spark plug shows signs of ultra rich fuel mixture tuning. Mechanical issues will result in an oiled spark plug which is prone to fouling. These issues arises from a worn out cylinder wall or worn out piston rings or the piston itself which fouls with spark plug with oil. I suggest you to get your air fuel mixture checked and set it to proper level. Also make sure you are using OEM Bosch Mico spark plug of hot plug type. Keep us posted if these measures resolve the issue.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 16:34   #1987
BHPian
 
FuelInjector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TN38
Posts: 366
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Has anyone used/ using a 100/90 bulb in REs ? If yes what are the cons of using one.Will the battery be discharged even on highway runs?Will it overload the wiring and alternator?
I did search the forum but didn't get any conclusive answers.
PS- I have upgraded the headlight dome to a Hella 7" Sealed beam unit from the Ambassador.
i know a lot of folks in the kovai thumpers bike club (though am not a member) who have upgraded the headlamps with DRLs as well. No issues reported during monsoon runs and highway runs. You can safely go ahead with these upgrade.
can you please post a pic of the Hella 7". Is this on the last pic you posted (that you took at 6am)
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 16:37   #1988
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
i know a lot of folks in the kovai thumpers bike club (though am not a member) who have upgraded the headlamps with DRLs as well. No issues reported during monsoon runs and highway runs. You can safely go ahead with these upgrade.
can you please post a pic of the Hella 7". Is this on the last pic you posted (that you took at 6am)
I guess we need to install a wiring kit too.
I installed the new headlight just yesterday.Will take some pics tonight.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:01   #1989
BHPian
 
outofthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 259
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Has anyone used/ using a 100/90 bulb in REs ? If yes what are the cons of using one.Will the battery be discharged even on highway runs?Will it overload the wiring and alternator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
i know a lot of folks in the kovai thumpers bike club (though am not a member) who have upgraded the headlamps with DRLs as well. No issues reported during monsoon runs and highway runs. You can safely go ahead with these upgrade.
It is a well discussed topic here & elsewhere that the RE CL500 alternator is weak and can barely keep the 14AH battery fully charged.

The question was about adding 75Watts of additional load or about 6.5A additional current through the existing switch gear and battery. [(100+90) - (60+55) in high beam mode.]

And the recommendation is - Go ahead and do it because someone in Kovai has installed DRLs of unknown wattage and those REs are running fine??!!

The mind boggles.

Please don't do it. You not only run a risk of running a fire in the cables due to overload, this can potentially impact a number of electrical/electronic subsystems as well as the battery itself.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:10   #1990
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
It is a well discussed topic here & elsewhere that the RE CL500 alternator is weak and can barely keep the 14AH battery fully charged.

The question was about adding 75Watts of additional load or about 6.5A additional current through the existing switch gear and battery. [(100+90) - (60+55) in high beam mode.]

And the recommendation is - Go ahead and do it because someone in Kovai has installed DRLs of unknown wattage and those REs are running fine??!!

The mind boggles.

Please don't do it. You not only run a risk of running a fire in the cables due to overload, this can potentially impact a number of electrical/electronic subsystems as well as the battery itself.
I was a bit skeptical considering the cl500 is an FI bike. I guess i will abandon the idea,maybe install LED aux lights or a single Hella spot light.Any suggestion on this set up?
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:35   #1991
BHPian
 
FuelInjector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TN38
Posts: 366
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
It is a well discussed topic here & elsewhere that the RE CL500 alternator is weak and can barely keep the 14AH battery fully charged.

The question was about adding 75Watts of additional load or about 6.5A additional current through the existing switch gear and battery. [(100+90) - (60+55) in high beam mode.]

And the recommendation is - Go ahead and do it because someone in Kovai has installed DRLs of unknown wattage and those REs are running fine??!!

The mind boggles.

Please don't do it. You not only run a risk of running a fire in the cables due to overload, this can potentially impact a number of electrical/electronic subsystems as well as the battery itself.
Thanks outofthebox. can you point me to the threads of discussion please? was under the impression that a 12volt battery should handle the increase in amperage. This would also help other ignorant people who have done mods to their electricals.
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:36   #1992
BHPian
 
outofthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 259
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I guess i will abandon the idea,maybe install LED aux lights or a single Hella spot light.Any suggestion on this set up?
I'll share what I did on my 2011 RE CL500 last year. I was having visibility issues riding in winter fog in North India after I shifted from BLR to DEL.

First I reduced the lighting load on the battery by about 30% by switching to LED lamps in brake lights, trafficators, pilot lamps, as well the LEDs in the console. I also tried a LED headlamp but the focus was not very good so I switched to Osram Night breakers.

Secondly, I installed a pair of 7W Cree LED fog lamps on the crash guard. These are very helpful on dark or poorly lit roads and highways and in general in illuminating the road surface at night. Of course very helpful during foggy conditions too.

Royal Enfield Queries-reraisina.png

The bike works fine with these mods and no battery or starting trouble for more than a year. Hope this helps.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:41   #1993
BHPian
 
FuelInjector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TN38
Posts: 366
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post

Hope this helps.
noticed you have handle-bar mirrors. can you recommend good ones? how does the rearview reflection look when you have these and what is the span? do these vibrate at high rpms?
Any troubles you have faced with those?
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:45   #1994
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I'll share what I did on my 2011 RE CL500 last year. I was having visibility issues riding in winter fog in North India after I shifted from BLR to DEL.

First I reduced the lighting load on the battery by about 30% by switching to LED lamps in brake lights, trafficators, pilot lamps, as well the LEDs in the console. I also tried a LED headlamp but the focus was not very good so I switched to Osram Night breakers.

Secondly, I installed a pair of 7W Cree LED fog lamps on the crash guard. These are very helpful on dark or poorly lit roads and highways and in general in illuminating the road surface at night. Of course very helpful during foggy conditions too.

Attachment 1427017

The bike works fine with these mods and no battery or starting trouble for more than a year. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.One more query,any particular online store from where I can procure LED- tail lamps,indicator bulbs and cluster lamps?
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 12:05   #1995
BHPian
 
outofthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 259
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
noticed you have handle-bar mirrors. can you recommend good ones? how does the rearview reflection look when you have these and what is the span? do these vibrate at high rpms?
Any troubles you have faced with those?
I got these for exactly the same reason - the stock ones vibrate so bad that it's impossible to see anything in them after a certain speed. Very dangerous conditions on highways.

The ones you see in my pic are very high quality clones of a Rizoma model which costs INR22k per pair. I paid around INR3.5k for these. They are solidly built, real CNC aluminium, anti glare and absolutely zero vibes at speed.
Made & sold by a RE fan who also owns a RE showroom & service centre in Delhi. Search for ASCO bar end mirrors on Amazon.in and you will find them.

The alternator battery issue for one was discussed in this RE CL500 mega thread several times:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ic-thread.html (The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Thanks for the reply.One more query,any particular online store from where I can procure LED- tail lamps,indicator bulbs and cluster lamps?
I bought mine from a store called BULL LEDs on ebay.in. Not related to him in anyway but the chap is very helpful and has extensive experience installing these on REs. Everything except his headlamp solution is good. The Cree fog lamps I ordered from overseas.

Last edited by outofthebox : 14th October 2015 at 12:15. Reason: wrongly spelt name of manufacturer
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks