Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 15:24   #2341
Senior - BHPian
 
satish_appasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,028
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Posted this in another thread, but I guess this is the appropriate thread. Sorry for the spam.

I have a 2 months old Thunderbird 500. Last week a big plastic cover got hooked to the hot silencer during a ride. Lot of it melted and struck to the bottom area of the silencer. I could remove most of it using a paint scrapper.

Now it has left dark marks which I am unable to remove. Is there any solution? Will WD40 help?

This is the current state. Fortunately it is only the bottom part. Rest of the silencer is shining.



This is a part of what I scrapped.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 25th April 2016 at 15:27.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 15:47   #2342
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Time to take that scotch in your hand... scotch brite! Mildly use dish washer detergent and scrub it. It'll not completely go in a single wash.
I had a jute bag hanging from my handle burn on my bent pipe which left similar stains. But after 2 to 3 washes over time and the silencer heat made it disappear!

All the best
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 15:52   #2343
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 645
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello Bikers,

I recently (Feb '16) gifted myself an Electra, though am not an avid biker, I always had a dream of owning a Bullet since my childhood. I use this bike only during the weekends and have so far driven about 180kms . During these drive I have noticed the vehicle gets heated way too much. Is this normal ?

Thanks,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 16:03   #2344
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hello Bikers,

I recently (Feb '16) gifted myself an Electra, though am not an avid biker, I always had a dream of owning a Bullet since my childhood. I use this bike only during the weekends and have so far driven about 180kms . During these drive I have noticed the vehicle gets heated way too much. Is this normal ?

Thanks,
Rajesh
The heat is very normal. Don't worry and complete your 500 kms for the first service!
Just make sure you idle the bike for few minutes (1-2) before you set out.

Also, congratulations for your gift! Enjoy
surjaonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 16:07   #2345
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 645
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
The heat is very normal. Don't worry and complete your 500 kms for the first service!
Just make sure you idle the bike for few minutes (1-2) before you set out.

Also, congratulations for your gift! Enjoy
Thanks for the quick reply Suraj, your response kinda relived me.

Another quick que, at this rate of riding, I see my bike completing 500kms not before the next 2-3mnths. So should I get the first servicing done based on kms or months ?
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 16:19   #2346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Suraj, your response kinda relived me.

Another quick que, at this rate of riding, I see my bike completing 500kms not before the next 2-3mnths. So should I get the first servicing done based on kms or months ?
As the rule says, "Whichever is earlier!" Months or kilometers.
But I wish you beat kilometers to months every time. Enjoy your ride, go out meet your friends/relatives, check out this place and that one too! Find any reason and time to ride the first 1000 to 1500 kms to complete your "running-in procedure" of your bullet.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 17:22   #2347
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 164
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Suraj, your response kinda relived me.

Another quick que, at this rate of riding, I see my bike completing 500kms not before the next 2-3mnths. So should I get the first servicing done based on kms or months ?
Go out on a weekend trip to some beautiful places nearby. Use the Mysore road Kanakpura Road and the NICE ring road. Shivana Samudra is a good idea,keeping the speed at 60 Kmph.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 09:37   #2348
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 310
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 RE TB Blue color. I want to get it repainted, can anyone please tell me a good place in Gurgaon/Delhi to get it done.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 10:13   #2349
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 532
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hello Bikers,

I recently (Feb '16) gifted myself an Electra,......... I have noticed the vehicle gets heated way too much. Is this normal ?
If your travel is mostly in city with slow speed, some heat is expected because of new engine but it should not be ‘way too much’.

I will recommend checking carburetor setting (fuel & air screw both).

Excessive heat is dangerous in many ways. First head gasket may be blown and later valve and valve seat can be burnt/ de shaped and final the cylinder head and piston can be retired at a very early edge.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 10:18   #2350
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Hello Everyone,
My 2014 RE TB 500 is getting some amount of engine power even if the clutch is completely depressed in first (or any other) gear.
I was cleaning the bike on center stand and noticed that the rear wheel responds to accelerator inputs when in gear, with completely depressed clutch.
I tried adjusting clutch cable, but the behavior did not change.

Is it normal or do I need to visit the mechanic?
prasanna_indaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 10:49   #2351
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 532
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
My 2014 RE TB 500 is getting some amount of engine power even if the clutch is completely depressed in first (or any other) gear.
Until you do not this problem with wheel on ground (get the bike moving forward with fully depressed clutch) do not go to the mechanic and do not over tight clutch cable.

In routine not only REs but other bike also behaves like this, although theoretically it shouldn’t be.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 10:54   #2352
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Until you do not this problem with wheel on ground (get the bike moving forward with fully depressed clutch) do not go to the mechanic and do not over tight clutch cable.

In routine not only REs but other bike also behaves like this, although theoretically it shouldn’t be.
Thanks. There are no issues when the wheel is on the ground. There is a slight change in the engine sound after engaging first gear and holding the clutch fully depressed. But neither bike is moving ahead nor engine stalls. I think it should be normal then.

Will not visit the mechanic .
prasanna_indaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 11:44   #2353
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 957
Thanked: 969 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I recently (Feb '16) gifted myself an Electra, though am not an avid biker, I always had a dream of owning a Bullet since my childhood. I use this bike only during the weekends and have so far driven about 180kms . During these drive I have noticed the vehicle gets heated way too much. Is this normal ?
Rajesh mate first of all congrats on buying the RE Electra and secondly welcome to the club. Well the engine getting heated way too much is NOT NORMAL especially on an RE which has a long stroke and (relatively) low compression ratio engine. Although the mercury has been rising due to summer season but from my experience of riding RE's they don't get heated so much as to disturb the rider. I don't think a new engine heats up due to run in as my Tbird500 didn't heat up despite of me buying it during the great October heat season. As Alok has recommended get your air/fuel mixture setting checked(although unlikely as your motorcycle is brand new unless someone fiddled with your carb settings), a motorcycle running too lean results in excessive heat. While you are at it also check the oil pressure to find out if the circulation is sufficient. You can get these things checked during the first service. Also do you notice this excessive heat on open highways too? If not then nothing to worry. If you are riding with half clutch in the city the engine will heat up more than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Another quick que, at this rate of riding, I see my bike completing 500kms not before the next 2-3mnths. So should I get the first servicing done based on kms or months ?
You should get your motorcycle serviced with whichever comes earlier(time period or Kms), if you don't then the service centre will not honour the free service facility for that period/kms. Remember to tell them about excess heat. But if you are riding with half clutch in the city then you might have to change your riding style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Hello Everyone,
My 2014 RE TB 500 is getting some amount of engine power even if the clutch is completely depressed in first (or any other) gear.
I was cleaning the bike on center stand and noticed that the rear wheel responds to accelerator inputs when in gear, with completely depressed clutch.
Mate for yours and others' safety never ever start a motorcycle and turn the throttle while it is on centre stand. There are instances on this very forum of people chopping their fingers while cleaning the chain when the bike was running. Apart from this if the motorcycle accidentally rests on its rear wheels when in gear while being on the centre stand while being accelerated then you know what will happen (can be catastrophic). About the wheels turning despite the clutch being depressed is because some(very little) power is still being transmitted to the rear wheels due to oil circulation within the clutch and other parts. This happens especially on a cold engine where the oil is still viscous. It is quite normal and many motorcycles behave like this, so nothing to worry.

I would like to reiterate once more that Never Ever power on your motorcycle whilst it is on centre stand.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 11:58   #2354
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
.

Mate for yours and others' safety never ever start a motorcycle and turn the throttle while it is on centre stand. There are instances on this very forum of people chopping their fingers while cleaning the chain when the bike was running. Apart from this if the motorcycle accidentally rests on its rear wheels when in gear while being on the centre stand while being accelerated then you know what will happen (can be catastrophic). About the wheels turning despite the clutch being depressed is because some(very little) power is still being transmitted to the rear wheels due to oil circulation within the clutch and other parts. This happens especially on a cold engine where the oil is still viscous. It is quite normal and many motorcycles behave like this, so nothing to worry.

I would like to reiterate once more that Never Ever power on your motorcycle whilst it is on centre stand.
Buddy, thanks for the suggestion and concern.

This was done only for testing and no moving parts were touched. Also accelerator input was given just to check the response.
And in no way I was cleaning the bike on center stand with engine running in gear.
prasanna_indaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 16:00   #2355
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
I can second both the above statements from experience.
I had to travel overseas for an year and had to leave my Classic 350 stored for an year. As I was in a hurry, the only long term storage precautions I took were disconnecting the battery.

@Akhileshmdp I hope you had not told the mechanics beforehand that your bike was stored for months, as some of the unscrupulous ones, pounce like hyenas and try to replace every other part they can think off, required or not !
Thanks navin_v8 & mobius 1, first of sorry for the delayed response, yes I did get a full servicing done before these jobs, rather the carb change was done in the servicing itself by RE Authorised dealer, Kings Auto, Pune.
Yes i did the mistake of telling the guys that the bike was standing for almost a year, purely because I thought it would help them assess things better. Both the changes were a surprise for me also, particularly the clutch set, but it came from a mechanic whom my friend trusted for a decade so went ahead with it.
Now the bike is nearing 3K Kms from the first service in Feb and running well, the jerk at low rpms I have noticed is because of front shocks which retract and compress pretty easily for initial trave and thinking of taking it to Kunal Bike Works(heard a lot about this in Pune). Request Pune BHPians to advise on other mechanics I can think of, I live in Hinjewadi.
Akhileshmdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:27.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks