Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th March 2013, 10:39   #481
BANNED

Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

But , beyond that I have put this on this Bullet thread for a reason . See how the the Guard is fitted on the Bullet , It has a Upper clamp on the tube , you cant tighten it too much & then there are two strips of metal connecting it to the Lower part . Now this guard turns on Impact , I had been through this many yrs back . many other bikes which have two chassis tubes in the front prevent this ' syndrome ' of a winding guard on your leg & they are more effective for leg protection purpose IMHO

I will post pics to elaborate my point .
Sudarshan
Here are the pics to explain

The first Pic is My Bike only

Royal Enfield Queries-1a.jpg

Name:  1B.jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  1C.jpg
Views: 3871
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  1D.jpg
Views: 6828
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  1E.jpg
Views: 10346
Size:  57.5 KB

As one can see the bullet front guard 'rotates ' on impact because of its fitting style pattern . Now here I see a chance to strengthen them by connecting them to the foot rest by a 1" dia pipe .

WRT My bike if it gets hit & rotates , I fear it will hit the engine casting somewhere .

Crash guards are ok for minor parking mishap or events , but I seriously doubt them in serious impact conditions . I have seen lot of bikes broken in pieces , those were fatal accidents for the riders .

Suddarshan

P.S. Pictures credit to Team BHP , all these images are taken from this very forum & I am grateful to the original posters / owners
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 12:21   #482
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Is the front disc brake kit still available? The dealer in my city is new and had no idea it existed.
There shouldn’t be any kit for Std.350 in authorized RE center. Check for Std 500/ Electra/ machismo (disc brake + front fork assembly) fitment.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 12:54   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I want to remove crash guard of my STD 350
I too have owned and ridden the following bikes without a crash guard

TVS-50
RX-100
Shogun
Samurai
Kinetic Honda (No crash guard here being a scooter)
Pulsar 150 ( Still use this one from last 7 years)
Classic 500 ( Covered nearly 6000kms in last 15 months)

I never had any problems. If your confident ( not overconfident) then you can remove the crash guard and still enjoy the ride

Quote:
What can be the disadvantages ?? Am I being too overconfident ?
The only disadvantage would be when you have a fall when your legs may come below the bike and possible fracture. But, if your careful and a good rider, i think its manageable.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 12:55   #484
Senior - BHPian

I've only owned my 1975 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 a few months.

New to motor bikes and to India. Never had a motor bike before and only recently moved to Delhi.

So a few very simple questions.

I've done about 1400 kilometers. The oil level was at max when i took delivery. It's sitting a little above the min level now.

According to my manuaal, the total oil volume is 2.25 litre. Does anybody know how much the difference in volume is between max and min?

What sort of oil useage can you expect on these bikes?

What type/specification of oil should is use. I seem to recall somewhere reading SAE20W50. Does that make sense, is that available in Delhi

Lastly, I was cleaning my bike and noticed some of the paint has chipped off. Nothing big, but I would like to touch it up. Some rust has already shown up.

So I really need a good metal primer and a good match color paint. Where could I get that? In my home country the Netherlands they sell small cans/tubes of touch up paint. Or you can get a small can of paint exactly to the same color. No idea what's available in India.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:56   #485
BHPian

@ Sudarshan - No harm in removing the crash guard. Please be more cautious in your riding.

I removed my crash guard because of rusting of the brackets at the bottom. I have an Electra 5S/ES, on this bike the front foot pegs jut out a few inches more than the crash guard. So if the bike falls, the foot peg will hit the ground first, before the crash guard. I have fallen a couple of times, but got away with minor bruises, my leg never got stuck under the bike.

Yours is a Standard 350 with short front foot pegs. Your legs could get trapped under the bike if you have a fall.

Cheers

KD
kd7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 14:40   #486
BHPian

Quote:
WRT My bike if it gets hit & rotates , I fear it will hit the engine casting somewhere.
Crash guards are ok for minor parking mishap or events , but I seriously doubt them in serious impact conditions.
Sir, in my opinion the existence of a 'crash guard' is more to protect the bike itself if it falls. If it bends, it absorbs the impact. If it doesn't, maybe it has transferred the impact to the chassis downtube? The typical Bullet guard that you have would also bend on impact but is downright painful. Because of its shape, it would bend into your leg. Chances of getting your leg trapped because of that crash guard seem much higher.

On my Roadking I have a simple straight bar held by two U-bolts like a leaf spring.
Name:  n776080520_3226674_2306.jpg
Views: 3812
Size:  35.7 KB

I had a spill on the Lavasa ghats a while ago, and my footpeg hit the road first, got bent. The bar scuffed a bit but prevented damage to my tank etc. Legs/feet were not trapped or anything.
My Jawa has no crash guard. I intend to get one similar to the Roadking, but just to protect the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So I really need a good metal primer and a good match color paint. Where could I get that? In my home country the Netherlands they sell small cans/tubes of touch up paint. Or you can get a small can of paint exactly to the same color. No idea what's available in India.
Jeroen, you certainly do get spray cans of paint in India. Ask around in any paint store, I'm sure they'll have something for you. Take the bike along to get a match, and a piece of metal to make a sample before buying.

Do you intend to re-paint an entire panel or just a small area? For a small area maybe you'd get a better result with a tiny brush and a 100ml tin of primer and paint. The spray might cover more area than you need.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 27th March 2013 at 14:41.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 07:36   #487
BANNED

Quote:
I've only owned my 1975 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 a few months.

New to motor bikes and to India. Never had a motor bike before and only recently moved to Delhi.

So a few very simple questions.

I've done about 1400 kilometers. The oil level was at max when i took delivery. It's sitting a little above the min level now.

According to my manuaal, the total oil volume is 2.25 litre. Does anybody know how much the difference in volume is between max and min?

What sort of oil useage can you expect on these bikes?

What type/specification of oil should is use. I seem to recall somewhere reading SAE20W50. Does that make sense, is that available in Delhi
Jeroen
Dear Jeroen,
There is an already existing thread for bullet oil change (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-change-8.html (Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...)). You can find some useful information on it.
I have posted oil recommendation in owner’s manual (both in CI 3 box engine & AVL 3 box engine) in that thread.

Yes 20w 50 oil is easily available in india in both (JASO MA & non JASO MA) categories. Do take care for API ratings.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 09:22   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
In the event of a fall, it is only the crash guard that prevents your leg from getting trapped between the bike and the surface. Also it helps reduce the damage to the other parts in the event of a minor crash or fall.

I would strongly recommend against removing it.
Spot on; I can vouch for it from my own experience. My father had only one accident in the 15+ years of our old Std 350, and without crash guard his right leg would have crushed between the road and hot engine. I pulled the bike to free him and saw the effectiveness of crashguard first hand.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 10:06   #489
Senior - BHPian

Another question about my 1975 RE. I wanted to have a right brake left gear shift configuration. So they put a (more) modern 5 speed gear box on.

How do I check the oil level. This is seperate from the oil in the gearbox, which sits on the right hand side of the bike and has a little dip stick.

The only thing is the filler plug. On many car gearboxes, you would just fill until the oil overflows. Not so sure on this one, because it would mean it would be nearly completely full.

Anybody familiar with this gearbox, how to top up to what level and what oil to use?

Many thanks.

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_2460a.jpg  

Old 31st March 2013, 11:07   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Anybody familiar with this gearbox, how to top up to what level and what oil to use?
Black arrow indication is filler plug & Red arrow indication should be level check screw.
Open the level check screw and if oil do not ooze out, fill the recommended oil (check my post no 111 on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-change-8.html (Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...)) through the filler plug till oil oozing through level screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_2460a.jpg  

(Alok) is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 17:51   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Black arrow indication is filler plug & Red arrow indication should be level check screw.
Open the level check screw and if oil do not ooze out, fill the recommended oil (check my post no 111 on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-change-8.html (Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...)) through the filler plug till oil oozing through level screw.
Thanks, that's very usefull. I had seen that screw, but I thought it was a bit on the low side. Oh well, live and learn! Good to know these things!

I read the various articles on the various oil, only to be more confused.
What oil should I use in the gear box and what oil in the crank case?

thanks

Jeroen
Old 31st March 2013, 18:35   #492
Senior - BHPian

My TBTS is going to turn 2 on April 7th and the battery has finally given way. Went today to check and got to know that the 14 amp battery costs around Rs 2300 (Exide ) , 3 shops near my house did not have a new one as they claimed that very few customers come asking for 14 amp and one guy told me that he's getting 1 tomorrow and that i should call and check.

Just few queries

1) Am i paying the right price?
2) Should i go for the dry battery or the one which needs refull every 3 months?

Kindly suggest
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 07:47   #493
BANNED

Quote:
What oil should I use in the gear box and what oil in the crank case?
As your engine is cast iron one, use SAE 20w 50 grade oil (API SE/SF) for crank case & for a 5 speed gear box there should be SAE 20w 40 grade oil.

In my post no 111 on mentioned thread, the 1st chart is for my Std 350 2006 (C.I. engine 4 speed gear box) model & 2nd chart for machismo 350 & 500 (AVL engine, 5 speed gear box).

I use shell haelix3 20w 50 API SG for my Std 350 crank case but next time search out for HP cruise classic 20w 50 API SF.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:21   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
As your engine is cast iron one, use SAE 20w 50 grade oil (API SE/SF) for crank case & for a 5 speed gear box there should be SAE 20w 40 grade oil.

In my post no 111 on mentioned thread, the 1st chart is for my Std 350 2006 (C.I. engine 4 speed gear box) model & 2nd chart for machismo 350 & 500 (AVL engine, 5 speed gear box).

I use shell haelix3 20w 50 API SG for my Std 350 crank case but next time search out for HP cruise classic 20w 50 API SF.
Thanks, that's very usefull. I'll stock up on some of these. Just in case.

Final question. If all is well, no leaks etc, I assume the crankcase oil level never really changes. But on the 350cc, what sort of crank case oil useage could I expect? How any kilometers per liter would still be acceptable

Jeroen
Old 1st April 2013, 12:48   #495
BHPian

@ harishnayak

Check whether you get the Exide purple battery. This is priced lower, around Rs. 1,200/- or so. against exchange of your old battery. It comes with 6 months warranty but easily lasts for more than two years.

My Electra 5S/ES is almost 6 years old and I am running on my third battery which I bought about 8 months ago for Rs. 1,150/-.

Most battery vendors dont stock 14 amp batteries as the off take is low.
kd7202 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote