Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 03:37   #571
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 949
Thanked: 1,758 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
@ArizonaJim - Out of curiosity, would draining the existing oil and replacing with fresh oil at this juncture cause any harm to the breaking in process?

I ask this since I will also be owning an RE soon, and I do not quite understand why you said not to fill up the oil in Superslick's bull even though it is running at lower than desired levels.

The reason I mentioned in my post to drain and fill up is, since the run in is a critical period for the engine, low oil would mean wear and tear within the engine if there is not enough oil to lubricate the parts and could also cause more damage and cost well more than what a can of oil would cost, IMO.
Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by suggesting that he should drain and refill the oil now.
I guess my head was foggy when I read your comment and I interpreted it to mean he should drain the oil now, refill it and then ride the motorcycle until it reaches the 500km distance at which point he would have the oil and the oil filter changed again. That is why I wrote that it would be a waste of oil.

After re-reading your comments I now realize you was suggesting that he have the oil and oil filter changed now even though the book says it doesn't need to be done until 500km is reached.
Doing this will cause no harm and will remove the contaminated oil sooner resulting in the possibility of less damage from the minute metallic particles floating around in the oil.

As for adding oil at this time, when I said it was not needed my comment was based on Superslick's comment that the oil level was above the low level mark.
Had he said the oil level was barely visible at the bottom of the sight window I would be the first to suggest that he add enough oil to bring the level up to the middle of the window.

Speaking of adding small quantities of oil to bring up the level, IMO, modern motorcycle oils are all comparable with one another.

If the level in my bike became low I wouldn't hesitate to add some Castrol 4T or Valvoline 4 Stroke oil to the Mobil-1 V Twin full synthetic oil that I use in it if that was all I could get. I say this even though the Castol or Valvoline oils I mentioned are regular petroleum oils.
The small quantity of petro oil would not harm the existing Mobil-1 or the engine and running the mixture would be far better than running the engine with a low oil level.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 15:05   #572
BHPian
 
mshooli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs down Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I booked an Electra 350, I was clearly told that the wait would be about 6-8 months, Teknik Motors, Indiranagar.

Can you check with the source you checked 2 months back? if its still the case, I would book it with the dealer who quoted 2-3 months rather than wait here for 6-8 months. would highly appreciate if you could let me know please.
I guess the information you have is correct. I checked with my dealer and seems Electra waiting period has also gone up now. 6 months is the waiting period now Quite surprising because Electras were always available easily
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 15:47   #573
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
I guess the information you have is correct. I checked with my dealer and seems Electra waiting period has also gone up now. 6 months is the waiting period now Quite surprising because Electras were always available easily
Yeah, I asked them for any bull they can deliver quick and the answer was no, I was told 110 people are ahead of me for an Electra 350 on 12th June and on 24th when i asked again I was told 101 were ahead of me, meaning 9 bulls were delivered/cancelled.

Its getting frustrating, wish someone could have helped me out get one quick.

Spoke to the Area Manager - No Go
Spoke to many dealers - No Go

Seems like I have to wait.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 10:55   #574
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I am getting frustated with these RE people. I have been running behind many dealers to find out the reduction in the waiting period after the new plant at Chennai. But till today all these guys are either underplaying or may have no idea about the same. I really don't understand what RE understands about the customer, crap or what?? They are too stupid. I am slowly fading away the idea of getting a RE bike.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:42   #575
Newbie
 
cks3976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 9
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Noise from the front portion of Electra

Hi,

My 2004 Electra is just back from a wiring replacement. And there is an irritating noise coming from the front side of the bike. I am unable to figure out the exact location, but suspecting it to be coming from front shock absorbers or the Rocker. It's a Girrrrrrrrrr noise. Have anyone faced a similar issue ? My mechanic wisely avoided saying it's a minor issue. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

BR,
cks3976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 13:11   #576
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am getting frustated with these RE people. I have been running behind many dealers to find out the reduction in the waiting period after the new plant at Chennai. But till today all these guys are either underplaying or may have no idea about the same. I really don't understand what RE understands about the customer, crap or what?? They are too stupid. I am slowly fading away the idea of getting a RE bike.
I am with you on the frustration part, RE guys knew well before hand that the demand has increased and that must have been the reason they even thought of building the new plant, however there are many factors other than just readying the new plant that makes up production faster, like hiring and training new people (over and above the existing staff), ensuring vendors can supply the materials for the production, having the moolah to start producing the set number of bulls etc. Which seems to have not been done in line with the new plant setup. Or else there can be no reason to have more delays.

They are only manufacturing the DS and the TB 500 in the new plant as of now. Meaning logistics is still being worked upon to get the other bulls manufactured at the new plant.

This is just ridiculous stuff.

Last edited by gearbox : 27th June 2013 at 13:13.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 16:07   #577
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I am with you on the frustration part, RE guys knew well before hand that the demand has increased and that must have been the reason they even thought of building the new plant, however there are many factors other than just readying the new plant that makes up production faster, like hiring and training new people (over and above the existing staff), ensuring vendors can supply the materials for the production, having the moolah to start producing the set number of bulls etc. Which seems to have not been done in line with the new plant setup. Or else there can be no reason to have more delays.

They are only manufacturing the DS and the TB 500 in the new plant as of now. Meaning logistics is still being worked upon to get the other bulls manufactured at the new plant.

This is just ridiculous stuff.
Exactly i was also happy to hear that the DS and TBTS 500 is manufactured in the Chennai plant and also the production capacity would have become free and the TBTS 350/ Classic 350 demand levels can be easily met by the old factory itself is what i was excited about but nothing seems to move forward.

Considering other bikes, i even thought of reconsidering the Pulsar NS again which i at the first instance preferred. I again had a TD of NS 200 and finally concluded that , " NO I am not gonna get myself a NS 200". Its simply boring. Off course no offence meant to the NS 200 owners. The only option that one has is to get a used Bull...Thats all!!!!!

Last edited by rki2007 : 27th June 2013 at 16:11.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 20:47   #578
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Ok, so as I had mentioned earlier in my post about what RE would have not done, which is still keeping the customers waiting even though the new plant has started. (My post can be seen with the below link) Sorry, I didn't know of a better way to quote my post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3161771 (Royal Enfield Queries)

Here is some news confirming just that.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/19800079.cms

So unsure if the wait periods would really come down even by EOY.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 13:08   #579
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 683 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I am with you on the frustration part, RE guys knew well before hand that the demand has increased and that must have been the reason they even thought of building the new plant, however there are many factors other than just readying the new plant that makes up production faster, like hiring and training new people (over and above the existing staff), ensuring vendors can supply the materials for the production, having the moolah to start producing the set number of bulls etc. Which seems to have not been done in line with the new plant setup. Or else there can be no reason to have more delays.

They are only manufacturing the DS and the TB 500 in the new plant as of now. Meaning logistics is still being worked upon to get the other bulls manufactured at the new plant.

This is just ridiculous stuff.
Well, I am from Bangalore and have booked a Desert Storm 500 with the inagar dealership back in Feb 2013. I have been given various commitments when I was following up with it closely in the beginning. The leading sales lady told me it maybe possible in June but when I called earlier in the month they didnt have any idea.

I mentioned to them the new facility was open and in particular the DS and the TBTS 500 are being manufactured there but they still werent sure if the deliveries would speed up. They now say that I could expect it in November-December 2013.

Strangely though, other markets like North Karnataka and even Chennai, Hyderabad dont have a waiting period of more than 3 months. There are other BHP'ians who have taken delivery and are enjoying their cruising time. Some of them have booked after me also. Makes me wonder if the dealers in Bangalore are side tracked. Considering the Inagar dealership in Bangalore is really old and one of the dealers that record top sales.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:59   #580
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Well, I am from Bangalore and have booked a Desert Storm 500 with the inagar dealership back in Feb 2013. I have been given various commitments when I was following up with it closely in the beginning. The leading sales lady told me it maybe possible in June but when I called earlier in the month they didnt have any idea.

I mentioned to them the new facility was open and in particular the DS and the TBTS 500 are being manufactured there but they still werent sure if the deliveries would speed up. They now say that I could expect it in November-December 2013.

Strangely though, other markets like North Karnataka and even Chennai, Hyderabad dont have a waiting period of more than 3 months. There are other BHP'ians who have taken delivery and are enjoying their cruising time. Some of them have booked after me also. Makes me wonder if the dealers in Bangalore are side tracked. Considering the Inagar dealership in Bangalore is really old and one of the dealers that record top sales.
I guess it may be due to one of the below reasons, just my opinion from what i understand and know about a dealer/company relation.

The dealers are supposed to pay upfront for the bulls and since the turnover is less at a given time due to less number of bikes being delivered to showrooms, it does not pay the dealer quickly to book many bullets and block that money for over 6-8 months or so. Getting no returns until the deal is closed with the customer.

Also the new plant seems to have not started full fledged production, i read somewhere that RE would start hiring people incrementally, which certainly means they do not have all the manpower and other resources to get the plant running at full blast (and more importantly it was done to get the share prices going up, which did, You can check here the graph with sudden spiralling of their share prices post announcement of new plant as well as Sales news http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/st...cher-motors/EM). also in an interview Mr Venki mentioned that they will bring down the wait period, however they would still ensure that RE's are not available in plenty.

Any company would envy RE's position at the moment, demand outgrowing supply, this is what everyone wants, unlike other bikes that are abundantly available to the customer.

In the north/chennai/hyd and other places however, I am guessing the dealers are pumping in moolah to get the bulls in the warehouse, irrespective of sales or not. That could be a real reason.

I may be wrong, but this is what it seems to me.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:33   #581
BHPian
 
vinodv001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 84
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Got my Forest green 500 Std on last Thursday and really impressed with the power/ torque characteristic ( over 350).

All the excitement vanished next day morning as the bullet didn't start. It was starting with the choke and the moment choke is released, engine went off.

It was observed that inside of fuel tank is also painted with the same green colour, and started peeling off; this might have blocked fuel line/ carburetor.

Went to service centre to clean tank and carburetor and raised warranty claim for new tank. For the time being running on the faulty tank; please see the attached picture of fuel tank.

My query: Is the inside of fuel tanks painted with body colour in other bullets?The showroom claims the two bullet 500s they have have similar fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_6626.jpg  


Last edited by vinodv001 : 2nd July 2013 at 18:35.
vinodv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 22:29   #582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Got my Forest green 500 Std on last Thursday and really impressed with the power/ torque characteristic ( over 350).

All the excitement vanished next day morning as the bullet didn't start. It was starting with the choke and the moment choke is released, engine went off.

It was observed that inside of fuel tank is also painted with the same green colour, and started peeling off; this might have blocked fuel line/ carburetor.

Went to service center to clean tank and carburetor and raised warranty claim for new tank. For the time being running on the faulty tank; please see the attached picture of fuel tank.

My query: Is the inside of fuel tanks painted with body colour in other bullets?The showroom claims the two bullet 500s they have have similar fuel tank.
Congratulations Man, But the paint inside the tank is sad. I guess it must have been a mistake on RE's part, major QC lapse must say, I have never seen a tank with its insides painted. The paint fragments could get inside the engine/piston too, seems like a major flaw here with your bull' tank.

Hope you get the issue resolved soon.

Last edited by gearbox : 4th July 2013 at 22:33.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:08   #583
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 612
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post

It was observed that inside of fuel tank is also painted with the same green colour, and started peeling off; this might have blocked fuel line/ carburetor.

My query: Is the inside of fuel tanks painted with body colour in other bullets?The showroom claims the two bullet 500s they have have similar fuel tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Congratulations Man, But the paint inside the tank is sad. I guess it must have been a mistake on RE's part, major QC lapse must say, I have never seen a tank with its insides painted.
My 2001 Enfield also has its tank painted on the inside. Other Enfield owners?
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 22:57   #584
BHPian
 
iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 216
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
My 2001 Enfield also has its tank painted on the inside. Other Enfield owners?
Nope! Mine is a 09' Std 350 and its not painted on the inside. Its epoxy coated from the inside!
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 23:07   #585
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 766
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
My 2001 Enfield also has its tank painted on the inside. Other Enfield owners?

Mine is 2006 Electra 5s. Tank is coated inside (I think galvanized?) with somewhat reddish matt finish. No corrosion issues in 7 years.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks