Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 21:49   #676
BHPian
 
adroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 65
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
I booked my bull and now it is ready for delivery. But I am confused between Electra and CL350. Looks and comfort, Electra is my choice. But at the same time, worried about smaller tires and poor headlight. I am bit averse to CL350 because of seats which are not as comfortable as Electra. I would appreciate you guys help with following quires.

1. Is there significant advantage with CL350 in terms of handling?
2. Is it safe to upgrade the head light in Electra? How much it would cost?
3. I am 6 feet tall and my wife and 2 year old son join in short rides. Could they all be accommodated comfortably in a cl350?
As mentioned clearly in earlier posts, there is no difference in both the bikes apart from Rear Tyre Size & Cosmetics which obviously includes seat too.

About your other queries, 1. No, there is no advantages with CL350 in terms of handling over Electra. In fact you will find Electra's handling a bit better. Thats my personal opinion and may vary person to person.

2. Most of the things are common in all the RE bikes and you will surprise to know that both 500 & 350 version of their bike equipped same batteries, Headlight etc. If you still want to upgrade your bike's headlight, there are plenty of options available. Cost will depend on your choice.

3. Personally, i would never recommend to ride along with your 2 year old champ as its really not safe here in India on bike and you don't get anything to protect your 2 year old kid. If you still want to take him along, both bikes are capable to bear the load of 3 of you, however, split seat of CL350 may be a bit uncomfortable compare to Electra's Seat.

All the best for your pick
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 22:50   #677
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
there is no advantages with CL350 in terms of handling over Electra. In fact you will find Electra's handling a bit better.
Since you were stating that Electra might handle better than Classic, how does the Thunderbird new model fare against the Electra?
I got this idea that Bullet 500 would be a much better proposition than Thunderbird 500 if the handling is not significantly different. Much cheaper and hassle free too.
chotu_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 00:27   #678
BHPian
 
adroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 65
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Since you were stating that Electra might handle better than Classic, how does the Thunderbird new model fare against the Electra?
I got this idea that Bullet 500 would be a much better proposition than Thunderbird 500 if the handling is not significantly different. Much cheaper and hassle free too.
Tbird handle best from RE's stable, no doubt on that. However, Classic is also not bad. Why don't you look at new 500 standard carb ver. I have heard good feedback on that bike.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 06:34   #679
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
As mentioned clearly in earlier posts, there is no difference in both the bikes apart from Rear Tyre Size & Cosmetics which obviously includes seat too.
Isn't there a sprocket size difference along with the smaller wheel on the Classic as well, which leads to a better pick up on the Classic? I remember reading it one of threads here.
Just as the STD 350 has a heavy crank compared to the Classics and Electra's.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 09:15   #680
BHPian
 
adroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 65
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Isn't there a sprocket size difference along with the smaller wheel on the Classic as well, which leads to a better pick up on the Classic? I remember reading it one of threads here.
Just as the STD 350 has a heavy crank compared to the Classics and Electra's.
I don't think there are different sprocket between 350 bikes. Sprocket Difference is between 500 & 350. Rear sprocket is anyway same with their bikes, don't know if tbird has different.

Don't know about heavy crank on STD, i did not find any difference in performance figure in both the bikes at all. Moreover i don't see a point where RE will have heavy crank on one of their bike and do not publicize it.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 12:01   #681
BHPian
 
purnendubagchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 49
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
I booked my bull and now it is ready for delivery. But I am confused between Electra and CL350. Looks and comfort, Electra is my choice. But at the same time, worried about smaller tires and poor headlight. I am bit averse to CL350 because of seats which are not as comfortable as Electra. I would appreciate you guys help with following quires.

1. Is there significant advantage with CL350 in terms of handling?
2. Is it safe to upgrade the head light in Electra? How much it would cost?
3. I am 6 feet tall and my wife and 2 year old son join in short rides. Could they all be accommodated comfortably in a cl350?
I had the same dilemma. I had booked a Cl350 on 3rd Aug here in Nagpur and the dealer promised to deliver by Sept end. On11th I got a call from him mentioning one Electra may be ready by 14th. I took advice from BHPians and accepted the offer. Took delivery yesterday and till now rode almost 70 kms. Believe me, it is a gem of a bullet. I am 5'9" and weigh 110 kg. I think I can ride whole day on the Electra.
purnendubagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 20:22   #682
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 588
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

@adroit, as tharian said, there is difference in FD sprocket btw 350's running 19" vs 18" wheels. And STD 350's got C5's crank which is a bit heavier. The difference has to be felt in low speeds than in performance runs. RE never publicized crank weights even in the original electra- std 350 times, then why now
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 20:54   #683
BHPian
 
adroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 65
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@adroit, as tharian said, there is difference in FD sprocket btw 350's running 19" vs 18" wheels. And STD 350's got C5's crank which is a bit heavier. The difference has to be felt in low speeds than in performance runs. RE never publicized crank weights even in the original electra- std 350 times, then why now
may be i am wrong, have not heard of anything about the crank, Could you please highlight the difference in riding. I know that the 350's are running on 19 & 18" wheel but RE give same sprocket kit for all 350 Bikes based on what i said that the have same sprocket size.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 00:35   #684
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 951
Thanked: 1,758 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I don't know about the 350cc models but the 500cc Royal Enfields imported to the USA have two different wheel sizes.

The C5 (Classic 500) uses a 18" rear wheel and the final drive sprocket on the engine has 18 teeth.
The G5 (Electra) uses a 19" wheels and the final drive sprocket on the engine has 17 teeth.

The difference in percentages between the sprockets is 5.9 percent.
The difference in percentages between the wheel sizes is 5.6 percent.

By using the larger sprocket with the smaller wheel size on the C5, the engine speed and the available torque at the outside of its tire becomes almost exactly the same as the G5's smaller sprocket and larger wheel size.
In other words, the final performance and fuel economy between the two tire sizes are virtually equal.

Several owners in the US have changed their drive sprockets to the next larger size.

This was done by most to make the engine run at a (roughly) 6 percent lower speed which they say improves vibration and sound when riding at speeds above 105 km/hr. Of course, they lost a bit of acceleration speed but with the high torque of the 500cc engine they say the loss isn't very noticeable.

A few changed their drive sprockets to the larger size to gain some top end speed.
Those looking for a improvement in the top speed were disappointed.

Total horsepower and torque is the key to top speed and the fuel injected 500cc's power becomes the limiting factor regardless of which sprocket is used. A few have even noticed the top speed with the larger drive sprocket was a bit slower.

Ride safe.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 16th August 2013 at 00:38.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 07:44   #685
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
may be i am wrong, have not heard of anything about the crank, Could you please highlight the difference in riding. I know that the 350's are running on 19 & 18" wheel but RE give same sprocket kit for all 350 Bikes based on what i said that the have same sprocket size.
The old cast iron 350's were always heavy crank which was part of the charm of riding a Std.
This model had a good market and was RE's bread and butter in markets like Kerala and Punjab, before the new generation models came into the picture. In fact, in Kerala, you would not even find a TB in the showroom few years ago apart from Std's and Electra's.
When the cast iron Std 350's went out of production few years ago, people in these markets bought more than one Std 350 so they could use them in their family and pass it down the next generation and the last few pieces were bought at a premium.
RE wanted to continue this with the UCE STD 350, hence the 500 crank in it along with no disc brake and gas shocks.

As for the sprocket size between the Classic and Electra, it can be a difference in size of the front sprocket to compensate the smaller wheel like ArizonaJim mentioned in the above post.

Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 09:39   #686
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TN-10
Posts: 237
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Guys, the speedo console in my ThunderBird has stopped working. No its not the case with a faulty hub or cable. The numbers are not moving. I thought, instead of getting it serviced, why not get the new digital console.
Has anyone tried this or has any advice?
The price of the digital console doesn't matter. I want to know about the feasibility, as mine is an 8yr old bike without self starter and no TCI in my speedo console.

Last edited by swami.n : 17th August 2013 at 09:42.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 19:37   #687
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
RE wanted to continue this with the UCE STD 350, hence the 500 crank in it along with no disc brake and gas shocks.
What about the new UCE STD 500? Does it also have a heavier crank than the regular UCE 500? Truth be told, i haven't seen even one of these on the roads till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Guys, the speedo console in my ThunderBird has stopped working. No its not the case with a faulty hub or cable. The numbers are not moving. I thought, instead of getting it serviced, why not get the new digital console.
Has anyone tried this or has any advice?
The price of the digital console doesn't matter. I want to know about the feasibility, as mine is an 8yr old bike without self starter and no TCI in my speedo console.
I have seen several posts in different forums reporting the failure of the new digital console due to water seepage. Not really sure that is the best way to go forward then. However, if you do replace it please post your experience. My 1year old TBTS console is also exhibiting lazy speedo needle syndrome
chotu_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 20:01   #688
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

I booked Classic Desert Storme in last week of July 2013,with a wait period of 6 months. While I don't mind the wait period, I'm very curious to read few posts here mentioning ready stock, delivery within 2 weeks etc.... I'm in bangalore. Is this in bangalore or some other city.?
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 21:34   #689
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
What about the new UCE STD 500? Does it also have a heavier crank than the regular UCE 500?
All the 500's have the same crank. They don't need a heavier crank. Any more heavier and you can use that engine on a goods auto to carry loads.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 01:15   #690
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hi guys,
Whenever I ride my 1978 Bullet, after a short distance the engine sputtering for a few seconds if it is in low speed and in low gear. But this sputtering doesn't happen after I ride for a while, then even in really low speeds the bike moves smoothly. And noverdays it takes a while to start the bike. What could be the underlying problem??? Need hints guys???
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks