Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 23:07   #916
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 588
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Has any member who has a old CB points ignition system done a conversion to CDI on their Bullets? .....
I remember seeing atleast two on the forum, one a 500 with dual setup- points+cdi switchable with a tacho too. Second a std 350, had its clutch cover changed. Few threads exists on same topic but seems to be of limit use.

With the OE kit, was it possible to have Cdi without changing clutch cover? Anyway parts should be available even if not as a kit. Good luck with the conversion

Last edited by Rennjit : 11th December 2013 at 23:15. Reason: ;-)
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 23:28   #917
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
I remember seeing atleast two on the forum, one a 500 with dual setup- points+cdi switchable with a tacho too. Second a std 350, had its clutch cover changed. Few threads exists on same topic but seems to be of limit use.

With the OE kit, was it possible to have Cdi without changing clutch cover? Anyway parts should be available even if not as a kit. Good luck with the conversion
Yes, I went through a couple of threads here about the same query.

I will check with the showrooms if they have the kit, which is highly unlikely.
Otherwise, I have seen a CDI A350 that has been parked at my mechanics place for many years now. Will check if he is in the mood to donate some parts.
With my CDI Electra, even after 11 years, it only visits the garage once a year for its annual service. With my 500, twice a month
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 00:11   #918
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 530
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I am not a bullet guy but Planning to dive in and buy a 1984 vintage bullet parked at known bullet mechanic's place. The owner asked the mechanic to strip it down and carry out engine+paint work but he quit in between and asked the mechanic to sell it. Now its engine and several other parts are opened up and the body requires a thorough restoration. What should be the asking price for the bike and how much more would be required in restoration? I plan to restore it to stock condition and apart from engine-body work, rear tyre, hubs, chain & sprocket, wiring, indicators, cables, battery etc would require replacement.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 16:37   #919
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 683 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Hi.. There is a treatment from 3M called paint sealant (or similar name), but I'm not sure whether they do this for 2 wheelers. You can check with them.
I've also heard quite a lot on paint chips in desert storme. The delivery is slated for February, and I'm thinking whether to stick with DS, or change to Black.
I will check regarding the paint sealant from 3M. I too am doubtful if they do bikes, have not seen a single bike being serviced in their stores.

Wont changing your booking completely reset the timer on the 'waiting period'? I made an attempt once but they told me it will be a fresh booking and another 9-12 months wait.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 18:06   #920
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 587
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I will check regarding the paint sealant from 3M. I too am doubtful if they do bikes, have not seen a single bike being serviced in their stores.

Wont changing your booking completely reset the timer on the 'waiting period'? I made an attempt once but they told me it will be a fresh booking and another 9-12 months wait.
No. 3M franchisees do not work on two wheelers. But you can try any other detailing shop who will be happy to service you.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 16:59   #921
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello all,

My DS 500 is due for delivery in Jan 2014 . As I read here and in Classic thread , is there any matte paint sealants available for Matte paint of DS in US?
My Sis - in - law is coming from Chicago next week . Can I ask her to carry any such thing if it is really available there? Can anybody help me in this.

Thanks
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 17:35   #922
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hello all,

My DS 500 is due for delivery in Jan 2014 . As I read here and in Classic thread , is there any matte paint sealants available for Matte paint of DS in US?
The sealant should be easily available abroad. THIS is the product you are mentioning about. But looking at the price of this particular product, I dont think its worth it! Please check if any cheaper product is available there.

Cheers.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 11:53   #923
BHPian
 
B O V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cochin
Posts: 279
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Does anyone know the procedure for restickering of the RE Classic tank stickers.The guys at R.E mentioned something about re-doing the entire tank.Any help would be appreciated.
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 13:05   #924
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jodhpur
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I was wondering if getting the exhaust on the TB 350 replaced with the older standard chrome exhaust adversely affect the milage of the vehicle?
While I have nothing major against the TB's exhaust, it does have a slightly subdued sound as opposed to the thump of your standard bullet and I'm not a fan of the black band at the end of the chrome pipe.
as_jamwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 22:48   #925
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 588
Thanked: 73 Times
Exclamation Re: CDI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
... Otherwise, I have seen a CDI A350 that has been parked at my mechanics place for many years now. Will check if he is in the mood to donate some parts. ...
I too would like to lighten his burden... by relieving off few parts

A-350 had a different CDI setup in comparison to El-350/ Tb-350? See pics for the differing reluctor arrangement, first is possibly A-350 & second is of El/Tb-350 for sure. Any clue on which type was offered as the Kit? And it retains Std's clutch cover?

Name:  type 1 cdi.JPG
Views: 953
Size:  21.9 KB


Name:  type 2 cdi.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  26.4 KB

Last edited by Rennjit : 15th December 2013 at 22:51. Reason: ;-)
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:41   #926
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: CDI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
I too would like to lighten his burden... by relieving off few parts

A-350 had a different CDI setup in comparison to El-350/ Tb-350? See pics for the differing reluctor arrangement, first is possibly A-350 & second is of El/Tb-350 for sure. Any clue on which type was offered as the Kit? And it retains Std's clutch cover?
Renjit,

I am not sure if there is a difference between the three bikes CDI set up. I thought there were all the same.
The CDI conversion kit I don't think is available anymore from REM, I should check with JC road shops.
As for the Clutch cover, there is a 535 at my mech which has got a CDI conversion done, will confirm after checking that.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:35   #927
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 248
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello Friends,

this is for my TBTS 500 (5 months old) I am posting this here as it is a critical issue I am facing
When I Turn On The Engine Thru The Engine Start Button, The Noise Of The Motor Situated At The Bottom Of The Fuel Tank That Pumps Air And Fuel To The Engine does Not Made Any Sound.I Checked Whether Fuel Is Flowing Out From The Tank Nozzle By Removing The Black Fuel Pipe. The Fuel Would Not Flow Out While Trying To Turn On The Engine By Electric Start Or By Kick. Checked The Wire Joint Beneath The Tank, unplugged and replugged the socket
Please advice if this is The Fuel Motor failure
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 05:51   #928
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 949
Thanked: 1,758 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

The first thing to check is the electrical connector which connects the fuel pump wiring to the motorcycle wiring harness. This is a white plastic plug in connector located under the fuel tank near the fuel pump. If they weren't fully plugged in at the factory they can work loose over time and if they unplug, the pump won't work.

The next thing to check are the fuses. There are several of them including one that is in the fuel pump circuit. (I don't know which one so check them all.)

If the fuses are all good, it is likely that one of the small square black plastic boxes in the electrical box is at fault. These 27.4mm X 27.4mm X 25mm boxes are relay switches which supply power to various things like the fuel pump and the Engine Control Unit.
There is no way for most home mechanics to really test these beyond turning on the ignition switch like you were about to start the bike.

Then, using something like a screw driver handle, tap each of the small black boxes.
If the fuel pump starts to run for a moment, you've found the problem.

There is no way to repair these relays. If one is defective it must be replaced.

Although they seldom cause a problem, it is possible the fuel pump may be the problem. These things are very expensive so lets hope this isn't the problem.

If the electrical connector, the fuses and the relays don't seem to be the problem the only thing left to do is to get your motorcycle to a authorized Royal Enfield Dealer.

There are several other things that could cause the problem but they will have to be analyzed by the people with the proper electrical test equipment.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 23rd December 2013 at 05:54.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:19   #929
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 248
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The first thing to check is the electrical connector which connects the fuel pump wiring to the motorcycle wiring harness. This is a white plastic plug in connector located under the fuel tank near the fuel pump. If they weren't fully plugged in at the factory they can work loose over time and if they unplug, the pump won't work.

The next thing to check are the fuses. There are several of them including one that is in the fuel pump circuit. (I don't know which one so check them all.)

If the fuses are all good, it is likely that one of the small square black plastic boxes in the electrical box is at fault. These 27.4mm X 27.4mm X 25mm boxes are relay switches which supply power to various things like the fuel pump and the Engine Control Unit.
There is no way for most home mechanics to really test these beyond turning on the ignition switch like you were about to start the bike.

Then, using something like a screw driver handle, tap each of the small black boxes.
If the fuel pump starts to run for a moment, you've found the problem.

There is no way to repair these relays. If one is defective it must be replaced.

Although they seldom cause a problem, it is possible the fuel pump may be the problem. These things are very expensive so lets hope this isn't the problem.

If the electrical connector, the fuses and the relays don't seem to be the problem the only thing left to do is to get your motorcycle to a authorized Royal Enfield Dealer.

There are several other things that could cause the problem but they will have to be analyzed by the people with the proper electrical test equipment.
Hi ArizonaJim,

Thanks for this detailed feedback and troubleshooting steps.

I did research on the net and came across multiple forums on the RE site about similar issues , the most scary being the one below.

http://royalenfield.com/community/fo...?topicid=11743

Here is the Resolution
I started with the flow of things you recommended.

1.Checked the white and blue connector below the fuel tank , disconnected and reconnected, no go
2.checked the fuses by tapping on them , no go
3.check the fuses and discovered that the EFI fuse had blown
replaced it with the spare provided and turned on the ignition, and BINGO !
the sound of the EFI motor kicking up was never so sweet.

RE Fuses.pdf

I will be purchasing a replacement fuse as spare and keep a couple extras just to be safe.

Also on the cost of this EFI motor , as per the link above it approx. Rs 10500/-

Thanks again to you for the wonderful and detailed steps , It really helps us newcomers to learn the smaller bits for Maintaining the Bull.

I would like to mention here that the self help did bring a sweet smile to my face when I was riding home .

Cheers to you mate !!!

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 23rd December 2013 at 15:26.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:36   #930
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 612
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Noob question, can a CI engined Bullet be jerkstarted?
Never tried it despite having one for 10 yrs plus now.
slicvic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
117 Royal Enfields, 140+ people. 1 Thump. Royal Riders 2nd Anniversary Ride h@r$h@l Motorbikes 5 8th February 2012 12:34
Royal Enfield Or Karizma??? austinpowers Motorbikes 80 25th October 2010 14:04
When did Royal Enfield become "Enfield"? pullin Motorbikes 1 25th June 2010 13:34
500cc Royal Enfield vs NEW 350cc Enfield scottoe Motorbikes 22 13th October 2009 16:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks