Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th January 2015, 20:59   #1426
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Thanks a4anurag, Arizonajim, man_of_steel for your help. I checked with the RE A.S.S guys about the rear disk braking efficiency and the front 'cluck' sound. Unfortunately they accept their inability to rectify these issues by saying that all TBTS are this only Saaaaaaaar!!!!. I left it at that. What else can I do.

Just thought of updating a leisure ride experience on a RE TBTS 350. This was something which was there in my mind for a very long time. Finally it happened a couple of days back. Ever since I bought my TBTS 350, I had been taking it to my office and back home. Nothing more. I have cursed the bike for its heavy weight when maneuvering in the city traffic and its character to downshift it to the least gear for those slow spins around the city. But we all know that the RE machines are not for that. It is actually for cruising!!. A cruising for all day long without any hiccups.

I did a recent trip, Bangalore to Chennai on Sunday and back to Bangalore today. I did a lot of spin in the Chennai City too with my bike. It was a tremendous experience for me with my bike on the highways. Based on which i have summarized the pros and cons of TBTS 350 in particular:

Pros:
1. Very sturdy and stable at around 80-90 kmph
2. Fuel efficient too if you cruise in the above speed. I could extract close to 38 KMPL as per the MID.
3. Very good seating position
4. Better than any other bike at this price point.
5. Eye catching view from everyone and me very proud to exhibit myself with all those riding gears on a RE machine

Cons:
1. At 95-100 kmph, the bike was behaving very nervous.
2. Extreme vibrations at the above speeds. I felt like if I push further at around 105 kmph or so the engine will fall out of its bay. That much of vibrations were felt.
3. The bike for swaying if I had to push it beyond 100kmph. It is very sane to cruise at around 85 kmph which will yield good mileage too.
4. The rear view mirrors are those simple piece of waste that RE has picked up for the TBTS. This bike deserves the chrome mirrors. Had it been designed as those of the Bajaj Avenger mirrors, it would have looked fantastic. At 80 kmph speed, the mirrors were vibrating like hell, leaving it difficult for me to see what is on my back. A compulsory upgrade is required.
5. The rear disk is just ornamental for the TBTS. In fact the drum brakes would have done a better job. Braking confidence is seriously lacking at high speeds. The front disc is average and manageable.
6.Though seating position was good, it was a bit difficult for me cruise for long hours. I had to take frequent brakes, especially in my return trip. If the seats a bit more wider, it would have been better. I am well built man, may be I am biased here!!.

Overall a nice experience, I would say.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 22:01   #1427
BHPian

Bro good to see you that you finally did justice to your TB. The speedo shows the average speed so it is 38kmph & not 38kmpl. Happy riding.
shaikhmimran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 17:42   #1428
BHPian

The prices have been increased by almost 10k on every model since 07/01/2015.

Since the launch of UCE models the price rises have been high every year. Almost 50k difference in last 5 years.

I hope they also improve the quality of parts each year too.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 19:36   #1429
BHPian

Some good news guys, Royal Enfield announces 2 years/20000kms warranty on the entire range of bikes sold after 1-Jan-2015.

Link to the news article.
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/01/bik...-kms-warranty/

Regards,
Vijay
vijay_k is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 20:23   #1430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Some good news guys, Royal Enfield announces 2 years/20000kms warranty on the entire range of bikes sold after 1-Jan-2015.
Wow, that's great news. I have now got another boost reading this news.

I am planning to go for a TD of the TBTS 500 tomorrow, a new showroom has opened very nearby home!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 21:04   #1431
BHPian

Quote:

Link to the news article.
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/01/bik...-kms-warranty/

Regards,
Vijay
Good move from Royal Enfield. But at the same time, the though of servicing the motorcycle at the ignorant butchers of RE ASS for 2 years / 20000 kms is disappointing.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 04:34   #1432
BHPian

The company which imports the Royal Enfield from India into the United States has provided a 2 year warranty for a number of years for all of the UCE models imported.

The warranty is one of the reasons I bought my G5 Deluxe and I'm pleased to be able to say in my 3 1/2 years and 26,600+ km of riding it, I have never needed it.

From the company owner's comments on the website he owns, the amount of needed major repair for the thousands of UCE model motorcycles he has imported has been very small.

Yes, his dealers customers see some little issues and they handle these rapidly at no cost to the customer. The few major issues that came up were also responded to and repaired as rapidly as possible.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 18:01   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The few major issues that came up were also responded to and repaired as rapidly as possible.
Here in India,most of the RE service centres are horribly short of any knowledgable staff.They readily fail to diagnose the simplest of faults,even if you do bring a query about any noise that shouldn't be heard they wave it away in most cases saying that its ok,its a part of the motorcycle

Hence the reason why its not really something that many(sensible owners) would be overjoyed about.

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 13:00   #1434
BHPian

Hi All,

Can some one guide me through the right process of running-in a CL350.

Regards,
Vijay
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 01:22   #1435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Can some one guide me through the right process of running-in a CL350.

Regards,
Vijay
Follow the owners manual.

Do keep showers below 50kmph and DO NOT keep throttle constant.

Do idle before and ayer the ride. Most important:

'Do not make her scream when she is cold'. Said by bblost!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 15:18   #1436
Senior - BHPian

A informative link I came across while searching for how to tune the ignition on the oldies,

Do the point settings change due to some reason or the other?
My ignition was its best until I got it back from service and I know my mech would not have fiddled with it unless told to.

Now it is advanced and and it is a matter of time my footwear goes flying and hits someone.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 04:34   #1437
BHPian

Two things can change the ignition timing without the mechanic changing a thing.

The small non-conductive block attached to the movable arm of the ignition points which rubs on the cam can wear if it is not lubricated.
As it wears the distance the point gap opens with each passing of the cam lobe will decrease. This will retard the timing resulting in poor engine power and poor fuel economy. It rarely if ever would cause kickback when starting the engine.

The condenser serves as a temporary storage area for the moving current. It absorbs the power when the ignition points open to prevent arcing and it has no effect on ignition timing.

The other thing that can change the ignition timing is problems with the centrifugal advance.

The centrifugal advance is located under the plate that holds the points and condenser.

(for newbies): The spark occurs before the crankshaft, connecting rod and piston reach top dead center. It takes a little time for the fuel/air mixture to start to burn and by igniting the mixture slightly early, it will be ready to produce its maximum power as the piston starts its downward "power stroke".

The amount of time for the combustion to take place is rather fixed so as the engine speed increases the spark must occur earlier in the crankshafts rotation.
For example, a petrol engine at idle speed often ignites the fuel/air with the crankshaft around 7 degrees before the piston reaches top dead center.
With the engine running at high rpm, the spark may occur with the crankshaft as much as 30 degrees before reaching top dead center (TDC).

Getting back to the centrifugal advance, there was a time that these didn't exist.
Back then, a spark advance was located on the motorcycles handle bars to allow the rider to adjust it as needed. Needless to say, this resulted in many destroyed engines by setting the ignition timing too far advanced. If the rider failed to retard the spark before kick starting the engine a severe kickback would happen with more than one person thrown up in the air or their leg and ankle badly hurt.

The centrifugal advance solved all of those problems by automatically advancing and retarding the spark based on the engines speed.

OK. Getting back to the problem.

The centrifugal advance works by having two (or more) weights on it. As the engine speed increases, the weights are thrown outward forcing cams to advance the spark timing.

As the engine speed decreases, springs pull the weights back in towards center causing the cams to retard the spark timing.
If everything is working correctly, back at an idle speed the timing will be back to the setting needed for a proper idle and kick starting.

If the springs become unhooked or broken the advance will fail to reset to the retarded position.

Another problem can happen if the pivots for the weights becomes rusted or it lacks the small amount of lubrication needed to keep things operating smoothly.
If this happens, often the springs cannot pull the weights back in so the ignition stays advanced.

I should add that if the motorcycle is using a computerized fuel injection system there are no ignition points to adjust or to wear out.
There is no centrifugal advance either. There is only some magnetic or capacitance sensing device that tells the computer where the crankshaft is in its revolution. The computer then calculates and adjusts the spark timing based on engine speed and throttle position.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 28th January 2015 at 04:37.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 10:47   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Do the point settings change due to some reason or the other?
My ignition was its best until I got it back from service and I know my mech would not have fiddled with it unless told to.

Now it is advanced and and it is a matter of time my footwear goes flying and hits someone.
An off tune carburetor or a wrong spark plug gap may also hinder the effects of a correctly adjusted ignition timing.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 28th January 2015 at 10:53. Reason: Reconstructing the sentence.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 10:48   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Another problem can happen if the pivots for the weights becomes rusted or it lacks the small amount of lubrication needed to keep things operating smoothly.
If this happens, often the springs cannot pull the weights back in so the ignition stays advanced.
Thank you for the detailed explanation Jim.
I think the above lines is were my problem lies.

My bike starts and idles well and runs well in slow speed. The advance happens after some hard riding especially on a long highway ride. The weather if hot, makes things worse.
It was an issue for a long time until it disappeared and I was enjoying the ride until It cropped up again few days ago.
To be specific, when this happens on a highway ride, when climbing up a slight gradient, the engine starts pinging and when it does, it pings in all gears regardless of speed after which I need to stop to cool it down.
The weird part being, at times this never occurs and I can have a blast even by riding in high rpms.

@Adrian- Carb is tuned right. Plug was replaced recently as well after which it was running fine until the service. Let me play around with the points.
Have a trip coming up and need to get it right.

Last edited by tharian : 28th January 2015 at 10:51.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 11:04   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
@Adrian- Carb is tuned right. Plug was replaced recently as well after which it was running fine until the service. Let me play around with the points.
Have a trip coming up and need to get it right.
If you will look into the following link by Sri.B.R.Gurunandan, you will see that the points are to be adjusted a bit different for highway rides.
http://www.nandanmotors.com/adj_ignition.html

regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote