Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th July 2013, 14:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post
Is it ok to fiddle around with a brand new bike or should I have some patience and wait till the warranty period is done
How old is your bike? If you are not having any issues after a considerable amount of kms run on the bike or you are close to your warranty getting over then you can risk it. Else its best to wait till your warranty period is done or atleast close to getting over!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 15:34   #182

The bike is literally brand new, not even a month old ! I agree with you, most sensible to wait out the warranty period
Machado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 19:37   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post
The bike is literally brand new, not even a month old ! I agree with you, most sensible to wait out the warranty period
You can go for a projector setup without cutting or splicing any wires of your duke. Just ensure that you buy a relay harness for your bulb type . Most probably it Will be h4. Then buy the projectors and the bulbs . Buy projectors that have adapters to fit into a h4 slot . And projectors Will only support certain kinds of bulb. Ensure that you buy those bulbs only.

Better would be to upgrade bulbs to night breaker or extreme power and see if you are happy with it. Else you can think of these options
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:12   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can go for a projector setup without cutting or splicing any wires of your duke. Just ensure that you buy a relay harness for your bulb type . Most probably it Will be h4. Then buy the projectors and the bulbs . Buy projectors that have adapters to fit into a h4 slot . And projectors Will only support certain kinds of bulb. Ensure that you buy those bulbs only.
Thanks for the valuable information Sagar. I know where my next pay check is headed now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Better would be to upgrade bulbs to night breaker or extreme power and see if you are happy with it. Else you can think of these options
Not that I am too worried about Duke's current light throw, but considering options that would be of functional "and" cosmetic value. Tempted to try out the former option
Machado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2004 RE T-bird with a Bajaj Avenger headlamp. Simply put - the light intensity sucks.

I desperately need to upgrade. Most of my riding is at night and I am running blind here. Would a 55/60 be a direct plug n play? Can I risk 90/100 too? If modifications would be required; what would they be?

PS - I am not too worried about reflector / lamp / whatever going bad in the "long run". I will happily replace these if I get superlative lighting.

Edit - Please suggest preffered bulb type / brand and if possible; where I can source them in Delhi NCR (or online). Thanks!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 23rd July 2013 at 19:28.
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:29   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I desperately need to upgrade. Most of my riding is at night and I am running blind here. Would a 55/60 be a direct plug n play? Can I risk 90/100 too? If modifications would be required; what would they be?
If you want to go with stock specs, go for Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs or Osram Nightbreaker Plus. Both bulbs offer significantly better brightness and light spread.

If you need something more, then a 90/100 with a relay is required. Any 2 wheeler shop that has good knowledge of electricals can do this for you. You might want to explore adding a HID kit as well, this will be way better than the 90/100 upgrade
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:54   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
If you need something more, then a 90/100 with a relay is required. Any 2 wheeler shop that has good knowledge of electricals can do this for you. You might want to explore adding a HID kit as well, this will be way better than the 90/100 upgrade
Adi,
Not quite sure if the CDI would be having the capability to give an output of 90/100 wattage. It would depend on the lighting coil and its efficiency to give the exact output.
Else the coil can be rewinded to match the output to 90/100.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 15:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS - I am not too worried about reflector / lamp / whatever going bad in the "long run". I will happily replace these if I get superlative lighting.
Quote:
If you want to go with stock specs, go for Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs or Osram Nightbreaker Plus. Both bulbs offer significantly better brightness and light spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Adi,
Not quite sure if the CDI would be having the capability to give an output of 90/100 wattage. It would depend on the lighting coil and its efficiency to give the exact output.
Else the coil can be rewinded to match the output to 90/100.
Thanks for your suggestion Aditya. What about battery requirements (I think ku69rd has a similra query)? Do I need to add a more "powerful"(??) battery?

Would 55/60 be plug n play?

Edit - Just FYI, my mechanic telles me that the battery (recently replaced) is 9 ampere / 12 volts.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 24th July 2013 at 15:35.
Old 24th July 2013, 16:29   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about battery requirements? Do I need to add a more "powerful"(??) battery?

Would 55/60 be plug n play?
If you're going with the 55/60W bulbs then it's a plug n play. You can also go for the 90/100 bulbs with relay and retain the same battery. Not sure if a HID kit will need a battery upgrade.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 16:43   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also go for the 90/100 bulbs with relay and retain the same battery.
Aditya,
Am pretty sure we cannot put a relay for a two wheeler unless the lighting coil has the capacity to give an output of 90/100 lighting.

Out of curiosity which bike are we referring to here?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 17:25   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya,
Am pretty sure we cannot put a relay for a two wheeler unless the lighting coil has the capacity to give an output of 90/100 lighting.

Out of curiosity which bike are we referring to here?
Its a 2004 Enfield T-Bird, headlamp is from an avenger though. Battery details in the post above. Please advise. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2013, 17:34   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a 2004 Enfield T-Bird, headlamp is from an avenger though. Battery details in the post above. Please advise. Thanks!
Mate,
Before I put in my response would need to know how your existing setup would be.

Do you run the headlights straight off the battery? If yes what would be the battery ratings?

By putting an avenger's headlight you are actually hampering the beam throw & spread since it a smaller beam compared to the TB's original one..

What is the current ratings of your headlight that you use? (35/35)?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 17:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate,
Before I put in my response would need to know how your existing setup would be.

Do you run the headlights straight off the battery? If yes what would be the battery ratings? -
My mechanic tells me its not running off the battery. It runs off the alternator (??). Not sure If this info helps; but the beam becomes weak as I back off of the accelerator and vice versa. Battery rating 9 ampere / 12 volts (is what he tells me)

By putting an avenger's headlight you are actually hampering the beam throw & spread since it a smaller beam compared to the TB's original one..
:( Will replace though if cannot find a solution

What is the current ratings of your headlight that you use? (35/35)? - I am quite sure it is 35 / 35
Thanks for your response ku69rd. I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge (Italicized). Will happily replace the headlamp back to original t-bird's if that would improve visibility. Awesome of you to take the time out for my multiple queries. Much appreciated
Old 24th July 2013, 18:09   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response ku69rd. I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge (Italicized). Will happily replace the headlamp back to original t-bird's if that would improve visibility. Awesome of you to take the time out for my multiple queries. Much appreciated
Mate,
Suggest you to get the winding upgraded on the lighting coil to 90/100, that should cost you a little. Once you have done that all that you ought to do is to check if the Avenger Beam or the Original Beam has a better throw.

Based on your findings make the decision on the beam. But you might have to check for a competent guy who will wind the lighting coil for you. Am down here in the south so am not sure of how you would do it in Delhi.

Other option would be to run the headlights directly off from the battery but I would suggest you to run 55/60 since 90/100 will put an unnecessary load on the alternator to keep the battery in prime condition. For the 55/60 it would be safe for you to put in a relay.

Keep me posted if you have any queries and get your hands dirtied
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 10:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep me posted if you have any queries and get your hands dirtied
Thanks again friend! 1stly; I will try an upgrade to 55/60 and run that directly through the battery (Spoke to my mechanic; says its a real easy task).

If results are not to my liking; I would like to explore the HID route. Do you have any experience with that. Is the approximate cost similar to / in the ballpark of buying a brand new t_bird headlight? How much does the new one (projector setup) cost?