Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2014, 17:31   #226
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Thank you for your help. I could not find any details regarding headlight/holder. Kindly check the attachment.

Tomorrow, I will check the bulb/holder and let you know, what's written on it.
Attached Images
 
tavakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:47   #227
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavakari View Post
Thank you for your help. I could not find any details regarding headlight/holder. Kindly check the attachment.

Tomorrow, I will check the bulb/holder and let you know, what's written on it.
The bulbs holder is P43t. You try any H4 bulbs as an upgrade. I will suggest Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55W.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:18   #228
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 4,960 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavakari View Post
Thank you for your help. I could not find any details regarding headlight/holder. Kindly check the attachment.

Tomorrow, I will check the bulb/holder and let you know, what's written on it.
Those specs wont hold good now since you have converted the entire setup to 12V. What about the headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The bulbs holder is P43t. You try any H4 bulbs as an upgrade. I will suggest Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55W.
Unless the headlamp assembly is changed or retrofitted with a different reflector, the bulb type isnt P43t(HS1). I would be surprised if it was even S2, found on some gearless bikes of the past. It will be S1 which was available in 25/25w category. Also unless the alternator capacity has been increased rather than just rewinding it to 12V, there is no way a 60/55w bulb can be run satisfactorily.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:03   #229
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Any idea, how to increase the alternator capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Those specs wont hold good now since you have converted the entire setup to 12V. What about the headlights?



Unless the headlamp assembly is changed or retrofitted with a different reflector, the bulb type isnt P43t(HS1). I would be surprised if it was even S2, found on some gearless bikes of the past. It will be S1 which was available in 25/25w category. Also unless the alternator capacity has been increased rather than just rewinding it to 12V, there is no way a 60/55w bulb can be run satisfactorily.
tavakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:44   #230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 4,960 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavakari View Post
Any idea, how to increase the alternator capacity?
When the alternator is rewound, the coils should be wound as to increase thr current capacity along with a regulator upgrade if necessary. This is the first requirement. Next the battery will also be upgraded to a higher rating. Enquire with the mechanic if the alternator winding will be fine in its current state for a powerful headlamp.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 20:32   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,043 Times
Default Headlamp upgrade for an Activa: Suggestions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Today being a holiday, I was home and had time to kill on my hands, so decided to plonk the 55w/60w bulb into my one month old TVS Wego


+ 10mins DIY job that cost me nothing!
+ two fold increase in headlight intensity & spread!
+ The illumination can now rivall that of my CBR250!

So far, I'm loving it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Even I found the original lamps of the Wego are a dud. I upgraded to Philips Xtreme Power 80%. I share your concern on the wire. I've been running it for over three months, sparingly used during night time driving. So far so good.
How is the 55/60 setup on the Wego? Any side-effects or problems faced?

I am facing the same problem with my Activa. The headlight has been woefully dim. Since it was used very rarely (3.5k kms in 2.8 yrs), I never bothered to upgrade. Off late I have been using it more frequently and find the need for an upgrade. I feel like a blind man while riding it at night, especially coming from the 60/55W NBs on my Pulsar.

Should I upgrade the bulb to a higher rating one or just get a better bulb (XV/NB) of the stock rating? Anyone who has done similar change on an Activa?

Last edited by ashis89 : 25th August 2014 at 20:40. Reason: Title change
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 21:33   #232
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 914
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Headlamp upgrade for an Activa: Suggestions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How is the 55/60 setup on the Wego? Any side-effects or problems faced?

I am facing the same problem with my Activa. The headlight has been woefully dim. Since it was used very rarely (3.5k kms in 2.8 yrs), I never bothered to upgrade. Off late I have been using it more frequently and find the need for an upgrade. I feel like a blind man while riding it at night, especially coming from the 60/55W NBs on my Pulsar.

Should I upgrade the bulb to a higher rating one or just get a better bulb (XV/NB) of the stock rating? Anyone who has done similar change on an Activa?
55/60 Xtreme setup is running fine on my Wego. Been over a year and half I think. Cant see any after effects.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 07:51   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Hello folks, I am back into the world of biking and its associated modification. I got myself a pre-worshipped Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi UG2. Now what I want to know is where do I get the Electricals converted to DC? Is ruby Electricals still there with Kennedy at the helm?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 23:32   #234
BHPian
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 44
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Hi guys!
I have an old Honda Activa which has a stock 35W Halonix headlamp bulb. Because of less visibility, I wish to upgrade it to a 55W bulb. I have a spare 55W Halonix H4 with me but the problem is that the new bulb does not fit in housing of the Activa's assembly. Please help.
Thanks!
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 23:45   #235
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 747
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

^you may need to file the prongs of the bulb a little. But a 60/55W bulb in an Activa may not work efficiently, the system is AC and I don't know how much power the alternator makes. Most 2 wheelers with 35W bulbs don't run 60W ones well without increasing electrical power output.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 00:35   #236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 4,960 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Hi guys!
I have an old Honda Activa which has a stock 35W Halonix headlamp bulb. Because of less visibility, I wish to upgrade it to a 55W bulb. I have a spare 55W Halonix H4 with me but the problem is that the new bulb does not fit in housing of the Activa's assembly. Please help.
Thanks!
No technically sound option for that bulb type. H4 will never fit in that holder which is meant for S bulbs. Even if you shoehorn a H4 bulb the reflector will not focus the light properly since the location of the bulb filament in S1 bulb on your activa will he different from H4 you will install. Upon all these, the alternator will not provide the kind of power the 55W will need either.

I am sorry I don't have a solution, but this one again doesn't look like a solution to the problem.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st December 2014 at 00:36.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 20:54   #237
BHPian
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 44
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
^you may need to file the prongs of the bulb a little. But a 60/55W bulb in an Activa may not work efficiently, the system is AC and I don't know how much power the alternator makes. Most 2 wheelers with 35W bulbs don't run 60W ones well without increasing electrical power output.
Is there a way with which I can connect the headlamp directly to the battery instead of the alternator?

Thanks
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:10   #238
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 4,960 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Is there a way with which I can connect the headlamp directly to the battery instead of the alternator?

Thanks
Yes. Can be done but thats with a relay and related circuitry. Direct connection can be done but not advisable.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 09:02   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 576 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hello folks, I am back into the world of biking and its associated modification. I got myself a pre-worshipped Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi UG2. Now what I want to know is where do I get the Electricals converted to DC? Is ruby Electricals still there with Kennedy at the helm?
Xbhp has a long running thread that should answer all your questions, including on Ruby electricals.
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:22   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: Upgrade Headlight lamp on Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hello folks, I am back into the world of biking and its associated modification. I got myself a pre-worshipped Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi UG2. Now what I want to know is where do I get the Electricals converted to DC? Is ruby Electricals still there with Kennedy at the helm?
Ruby electricals is still there at the same place & Kennedy has moved to Marathally itseems.
I along with my friend have installed Hid with FX-R projectors in my Pulsar.
Rewinding was done at Ruby Electricals & have put APE(3 wheeler) Rectifier and converted the bike to DC.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Honda Activa Headlight Upgrade autocrat Motorbikes 20 28th February 2017 00:06
Honda Activa DIY: Headlight upgrade and LEDs for indicators + tail lamps a4anurag Motorbikes 12 21st January 2017 22:50
Headlight Upgrade for Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi ankushmulay Motorbikes 73 6th March 2013 21:32
Headlight Upgrade for Avenger 180cc manishalive Motorbikes 2 13th October 2010 18:20
Headlight Upgrade for our 1998 Cielo GLX VSG12777 Modifications & Accessories 2 13th April 2009 10:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks